Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Takes #1 in Consumer Reports Reliability/Performance Ranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Sure, someone could've been PO'd and done this. It still shouldn't have missed the final QC check before it rolled out of the plant.
Oh, I agree....unless the QC person was also p***ed off LOL.
Old 02-24-16, 06:08 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The beauty of this report--at least from Audi's perspective--is that most people will glance at it, browse it quickly and immediately think Audi has better reliability than anyone else, without reading the fine print, so to speak.

Most people turn to CR for reliability and automatically assume that's what they're seeing. Surprises, surprises await.
Old 02-24-16, 06:32 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Lexus and Subbie have been on top for ever on the other hand when was the last time Audi was ever on the top? Seeing Lexus and Subbie there is no surprise as they have always been there.

Audi no. 1 ??? Hahaha good luck with that.....

CR president with Audi's cash be like..............
Audi is not #1 for reliability according to this ranking. This ranking is a combination of reliability and road test scores.

Audi lags Lexus on reliability but outscores it on road test scores.
Old 02-24-16, 06:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

bravo to CR for a totally confusing report using lousy 'data'.
Old 02-24-16, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Lexus and Subbie have been on top for ever on the other hand when was the last time Audi was ever on the top? Seeing Lexus and Subbie there is no surprise as they have always been there.

Audi no. 1 ??? Hahaha good luck with that.....

Originally Posted by Rhambler
The beauty of this report--at least from Audi's perspective--is that most people will glance at it, browse it quickly and immediately think Audi has better reliability than anyone else, without reading the fine print, so to speak.

Most people turn to CR for reliability and automatically assume that's what they're seeing. Surprises, surprises await.

Apples and Oranges. There's nothing wrong with the report. The first vertical column of figures on the left indicates the brand's overall-reliability-rating. Audi, with a rating of 80, out-scores that of every other manufacturer selling in the American market. The second vertical is the brand's average road-test score, which is clearly different from reliability. The road-test score is CU's assessment of how well the car drives. Audi's, with 83, is quite high, but is bettered by that of a couple of other manufacturers....BMW and Porsche. The last column, Recommended Vehicles, shows the percentage of the brand's overall American-market vehicles that both pass CR's road test, have good Government safety-test results, and are also at least average in CR's reliability-data base. Those are the three requirements for a Recommended rating.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-24-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bravo to CR for a totally confusing report using lousy 'data'.
How's that lousy data?..........see my reply just above. Respectfully, I have to disagree with your statement.

Now, next year, though, when the effects of the Audi/VW scandal become a little more widespread, then maybe the results WILL be a little different. But CR can only work with the latest data it has at hand.
Old 02-24-16, 07:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The first vertical column of figures on the left indicates the brand's overall-reliability-rating. Audi, with a rating of 80, out-scores that of every other manufacturer selling in the American market.
No, the first column is a brand's overall score--an average of the brand's road test score and reliability rating, not the brand's "overall-reliability-rating".

Audi has the best combination of good road test score and good reliability, and therefore wins the overall score.
Old 02-24-16, 07:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ydooby
No, the first column is a brand's overall score--an average of the brand's road test score and reliability rating, not the brand's "overall-reliability-rating".

Audi has the best combination of good road test score and good reliability, and therefore wins the overall score.
No. Here are the exact word from the beginning of the report.

Originally Posted by AutoNews
Audi, in the midst of a scandal over parent company Volkswagen AG’s diesel engines, took the top spot in Consumer Reports’ latest annual report card on brand reliability and performance.

Audi, which finished with a score of 80, overtook Lexus, which dropped to third place after finishing first the previous three years. Subaru finished second with 78 points and supplanted Mazda as the highest-ranked non-luxury brand.

The entire report does cover reliability and performance, but the two separate columns represent two separate issues...left one reliability, center one performance (i.e road-test).

If you don't want to believe me, then ask the people at CR yourself. I'm not going to argue it all night.
Old 02-24-16, 07:25 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. Here are the exact word from the beginning of the report.

The entire report does cover reliability and performance, but the two separate columns represent two separate issues...left one reliability, center one performance (i.e road-test).

If you don't want to believe me, then ask the people at CR yourself. I'm not going to argue it all night.
No, Automotive News screwed up big time like so many other people did. Please read the original press release and scoring table on Consumer Reports' official website, as I have already stressed on the first page of this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9379214

Last edited by ydooby; 02-24-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 07:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CR is a good benchmark. No one needs to rely on it alone though do they? At various times CR would have told to avoid Audi like the flu.

But context says this; if someone told you tomorrow that you can review something and they'll fly you there, accommodate you there, and pay for you to have a great little mini-vacay - would you do it and write a positive review?

Quite a few auto reviewers brag about never really having to drive their 20 year old Toyota station wagon because most of the time, they spend their time in brand new review-vehicles.

CR buys their vehicles just like regular people do. It tests them like auto engineers would - CR testers are engineers. How does that compare to car magazines and online sites that feature people who have no engineering or testing background?
Old 02-24-16, 07:42 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have owned 4 Audis since 2009... '09 A5 3.2, '10 S5 Cab, '11 S5 Cab and '15 S5 Coupe. I have not had even one minor issue with any. I have also found them more satisfying and fun to drive than most other cars (my '13 GS F Sport was close), so I believe the report.
Old 02-24-16, 07:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

How many of you guys feel comfortable buying a used, out of warranty Audi? Yea.... my thoughts exactly. All these reliability charts are nothing but utter BS.
Old 02-24-16, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG

CR buys their vehicles just like regular people do. It tests them like auto engineers would - CR testers are engineers. How does that compare to car magazines and online sites that feature people who have no engineering or testing background?
Patrick Bedard, a Car & Driver stalwart for many years, had an engineering background, but you're right. CR, in general, does tend to hire people who know what they are doing. That's why it is very rare for a CR test-driver to wreck a vehicle (and be held at fault), while you do see it now and then at the enthusiast mags.
Old 02-24-16, 07:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

In other words, how many 15+ year old Audis are still even on American roads? You maybe see one or two a month whereas you see dozens of 90's Era Lexus on the road every day, maybe every hour in any large city. That tells me more than reading some chart that tells you Brand A is more reliable than Brand B.
Old 02-24-16, 07:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have a Benz C240 2.6 V6, and in the first three years under warranty, I made no warranty claims at all.
However after the warranty period had expired, my C Class fell apart, with $3.5k repairs to the heater, $2.9k for a new ignition switch, $1.5k for a new alternator, and $4.5k for a new air con.

I suspect that if we trade in regularly every three years or so, then we will avoid most warranty issues.

On the otherhand, my brother in law wasn't so lucky with his Audi.
In 2009, he purchased a brand new Q5.
He had to take it back to the dealer to repair the water pump four times.
By 2013, the four year lease had expired, he immediately traded it in for a BMW X5.
So far, he has had no problems with the X5...

Quick Reply: Audi Takes #1 in Consumer Reports Reliability/Performance Ranking