Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking for compact CUV

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 10:16 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Woops, yes, GMC Terrain.

Another thing about that car are the A Pillers where the windshield meets the dash are gigantic and literally block the view looking out the front side. I mean I was shocked how huge that was and how much it obstructed my view when I sat in front. Rollover protection gone overboard lol.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
? I think you made a typo here. There is no such thing as a GMC Encore. It is either a Buick Encore or GMC Terrain....and they come off different platforms.
Old 01-31-16, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

tucson, cr-v should be on your list.
Old 01-31-16, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Yeah from a styling perspective my favorite entries in the segment are the CX-5 and I really like the looks of the new Tuscon. Next one I drive is going to be the Tucson.

Did the math on the Santa Fe Sport, its too expensive, she would want the 2.0T and the Ultimate Pacgae, gets you to $39k.
Old 01-31-16, 12:53 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

I literally just drove the Tucson 1.6 turbo Limited....nice interior, good handling, but that turbo lag....
Old 01-31-16, 02:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Did the math on the Santa Fe Sport, its too expensive, she would want the 2.0T and the Ultimate Pacgae, gets you to $39k.
$39k....holy crap! For a Santa Fe?!?!?!

Meh....that would drive me to a CX5 or CRV.

Top of the line CX5 (Grand Touring) is $28k

Last edited by bagwell; 01-31-16 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 03:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Meh....that would drive me to a CX5 or CRV.

Top of the line CX5 (Grand Touring) is $28k
yes but a loaded santa fe is a way nicer and bigger vehicle than a cx5 or crv. it's over a foot longer than a crv! apples to oranges. don't get me wrong though, i really like the cx5 and crv - both really great and good value!!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-31-16 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 04:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
I literally just drove the Tucson 1.6 turbo Limited....nice interior, good handling, but that turbo lag....
yeah cr is underwhelmed too with engine/transmission response, but otherwise really likes it...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...-tucson-review
Old 01-31-16, 04:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

someone mentioned terrain - just rented one for over a week and it was great. quiet, roomy (long but fairly narrow?), so tons of rear seat legroom (i think they're after parents to be easy to get kids in/out), and nice controls. the engine in the rental wasn't a rocket, but it was ok.
Old 01-31-16, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
someone mentioned terrain - just rented one for over a week and it was great. quiet, roomy (long but fairly narrow?), so tons of rear seat legroom (i think they're after parents to be easy to get kids in/out), and nice controls. the engine in the rental wasn't a rocket, but it was ok.
One of my neighbors, with two big Labradors, traded in her Nissan Rogue in for a new Terrain, which she says she likes a heck of a lot better, especially in back-seat room for the dogs.
Old 01-31-16, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
The Santa Fe moved upmarket a number of years ago when it was supplanted by the smaller Tucson...and, like the Honda CR-V with the HR-V, now the Tuscon itself may get supplanted by the smaller, less-expensive Hyundai subcompact CUV yet to be released.

And, of course, a couple of years ago, the slightly smaller Santa Fe Sport also undercut the regular Santa Fe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 04:31 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah cr is underwhelmed too with engine/transmission response, but otherwise really likes it...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/...-tucson-review
Thanks for the CR link. I was never one to trust their judgement, but after reading several of the reveiws, they are pretty spot on with my assessment as well!
Old 01-31-16, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Drove the Tuscon today myself.

I liked it. I think they're great looking cars, unlike a lot of compact crossovers I think the styling suits its size really well. The engine is anemic I agree, it's too bad it doesn't come in the 2.0T that comes on the Santa Fe.

Unlike the interior, but it doesn't feel as upscale as the Mazda. It's a little more expensive than the Mazda too, about 2,500 more similarly equipped.

As for the Santa Fe, it's considerably bigger than these as others have said.

Going to try and get her out this week and drive both of these, I think it's between them.
Old 01-31-16, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I liked it. I think they're great looking cars, unlike a lot of compact crossovers I think the styling suits its size really well. The engine is anemic I agree, it's too bad it doesn't come in the 2.0T that comes on the Santa Fe.

Unlike the interior, but it doesn't feel as upscale as the Mazda. It's a little more expensive than the Mazda too, about 2,500 more similarly equipped.

Going to try and get her out this week and drive both of these, I think it's between them.
Are you taking your mom with you, so she can try them out?...after all, it's going to be her vehicle. Or does she live out of state and is working with you primarily by phone and/or E-mail, depending on you for long-distance advice? (I sometimes work with prospective buyers that way myself).

If you're shopping there with her locally in suburban MD, I've always liked the way that Fitzgerald Hyundai at White Flint in Rockville does business, with the one-price, no-dicker Internet discount, easy deals, low-hassle atmosphere, and minimal paperwork. Though it's been a few years since I've been there, I've shopped with several buyers there, including (before I retired) our Government Union-Local President.

he engine is anemic I agree, it's too bad it doesn't come in the 2.0T that comes on the Santa Fe.
If you like the Tucson's basic platform and just want more power, the 2.0T does come (standard) in the Sportage SX, the Tucson's brother. But the SX starts at 30K without options, comes with the stiff SX sports-suspension/wheels (your mom might not like the ride-comfort), and I've never been a fan of the current Sportage's interior, even though my brother has an LX model and loves it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-31-16 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 07:22 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you've already decided on the Mazda. Great choice!
Old 01-31-16, 08:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you taking your mom with you, so she can try them out?...after all, it's going to be her vehicle. Or does she live out of state and is working with you primarily by phone and/or E-mail, depending on you for long-distance advice? (I sometimes work with prospective buyers that way myself).
Naa, I thought I'd just pick it out and tell her she better like it

No she wanted me to narrow it down to 2-3 choices and then she would choose from them. In all likelihood she'll buy whatever I suggest anyways lol.

If you're shopping there with her locally in suburban MD, I've always liked the way that Fitzgerald Hyundai at White Flint in Rockville does business, with the one-price, no-dicker Internet discount, easy deals, low-hassle atmosphere, and minimal paperwork. Though it's been a few years since I've been there, I've shopped with several buyers there, including (before I retired) our Government Union-Local President.
This was Fitzgerald in Gaithersburg actually, but I've been to the one in Rockville too. I like Fitzgerald, I can usually do better than their pricing negotiating but its a low stress experience which my Mom would like. Their markdown on the Tuscon was $2,500 which isn't bad on a $34,500 vehicle.

If you like the Tucson's basic platform and just want more power, the 2.0T does come (standard) in the Sportage SX, the Tucson's brother. But the SX starts at 30K without options, comes with the stiff SX sports-suspension/wheels (your mom might not like the ride-comfort), and I've never been a fan of the current Sportage's interior, even though my brother has an LX model and loves it.
The Sportage would be an option, I don't love its interior though either...

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think you've already decided on the Mazda. Great choice!
Thats clearly what *I* would choose, but she gets a vote too LOL

Quick Reply: Looking for compact CUV