Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hope You Like Turbos, Because Lexus Sure Does

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 02:28 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope You Like Turbos, Because Lexus Sure Does

On the heels of a fantastic 2015 for the NX 200t, for 2016, Lexus will be offering base trim turbo options in not just the NX, but also in the IS, GS and RC models.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 01-04-16, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

The 2.0L turbo four is rapidly becoming the mainstream engine for many automakers, with smaller turbo fours in compact-sized non-performance vehicles, and twin-turbo V6s for high-performance cars, big luxury vehicles, and some larger trucks. N/A V8s, though, will remain for some full-size trucks/SUVs, and maybe for some very high-level cars.

There are several reasons for this, but the three most significant are the CAFE gas mileage regulations, the desire to maintain power-levels in higher-mileage engines (though use of the turbocharger itself, when it is in operation, can decrease mileage), and recent advances in turbo technology/durability that has made them less of a PITA to own, operate, and service. Many of them can now burn regular 87-octane gas, turbo lag has been greatly reduced, they run cooler thanks to turbo-housings with engine-coolant, they last longer than they used to, you don't have to spend as much time idling them to stabilize oil-pressure/RPM before you drive off or shut them down like you once did, and both turbos and non-turbos generally use either synthetic or semi-synthetic oil, so you don't save that much on oil changes any more with a N/A engine....though sometimes the oil-change intervals themselves are still shorter with turbos.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-04-16, 06:26 PM
Jeremy-KY
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope they do bring more turbos, because hey.. lets face it, someone will eventually put a bigger turbo on the car.
Old 01-04-16, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremy-KY
I hope they do bring more turbos, because hey.. lets face it, someone will eventually put a bigger turbo on the car.
Well, first off, turbos ARE coming. You will indeed get your wishes on that. But as far as them getting bigger, that will depend on whether it can be done and still meet CAFE regs. The government, today, has gone overboard on some of their new-vehicle regulations.
Old 01-04-16, 07:05 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 229 Likes on 175 Posts

The "someone" Jeremy is referring to is undoubtedly NOT the manufacturer. As such, CAFE regulations don't apply. Those are only concerned with new vehicle sales. The aftermarket is free to come up with kits to replace stock turbos with larger units, squeezing 350-400hp out of these little 4-bangers. Since many states already have or are moving away from tailpipe analysis and relying solely on the OBD to confirm emissions compliance, such changes are unlikely to cause issues for owners.
Old 01-04-16, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
The "someone" Jeremy is referring to is undoubtedly NOT the manufacturer. As such, CAFE regulations don't apply. Those are only concerned with new vehicle sales. The aftermarket is free to come up with kits to replace stock turbos with larger units, squeezing 350-400hp out of these little 4-bangers. Since many states already have or are moving away from tailpipe analysis and relying solely on the OBD to confirm emissions compliance, such changes are unlikely to cause issues for owners.
OK.....if that's the case, I agree.
Old 01-04-16, 11:10 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 233 Likes on 176 Posts

all of these are reasons why i'm gonna keep my LS going as long as possible. turbos are fun and all but the instantaneous punch and sound of a good ol V8 is too addictive and i know i won't be happy unless it's there. as good as turbo cars are and as minute as it is, there's still a delay that i don't wish to deal with.

the biggest advantage i say to having a turbo'd car is that it makes it that much easier to just upgrade the turbo and tune it. that is if you're into that sort of thing...
Old 01-04-16, 11:25 PM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had lots of turbo cars over the years and I like turbo's for sure.

But nothing compares to my old V8 in the IS-F and V8 M3's I've driven.

I do like our new NX200t as well, very nice car and Lexus did a great job for their first (I think?) turbo engine.
Old 01-05-16, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Mumbo jumbo fluff talk. They are basically saying they will go where many others have already gone. Welcome to modern times.
The potential is there, for Lexus to do good things with turbos. For one, the current 2.0T needs to get better mpg's. Otherwise, they are off to a good, if late, start.
Old 01-05-16, 04:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope Lexus' future turbo engines are better than that 2.0t. Not only was I personally underwhelmed by a IS200t I recently drove but I've read several reviews that were just plain harsh on it.
Old 01-05-16, 06:45 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I hope Lexus' future turbo engines are better than that 2.0t. Not only was I personally underwhelmed by a IS200t I recently drove but I've read several reviews that were just plain harsh on it.
A video I saw on Youtube shows what the engine did on take off from a standstill. As you gas it, the RPM drops initially, so the tranny is probably upping the gears at around 3k rpm causing lag. Normally when you gas it the rpm just rises continually, but its weird it just drops. Fuel economy concerns or durability concerns? Just weird.
Old 01-05-16, 03:11 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Maybe people are expecting too much of the 2.0t ? To be honest, Lexus has never been about performance and the 2.0t is no exception just because it has a turbo. This is in fact a IS250 replacement. A future Lexus V6t will probably be the same in terms of characteristics. I do understand the dissatisfaction too because people do compare the performance of this 2.0t to the BMW X28i and so on, its impossible to aviod that. But as we all know, Lexus build their performance cars "the Lexus way" and I expect them to build future turbo engines that way as well.
Old 01-05-16, 03:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Maybe people are expecting too much of the 2.0t ? To be honest, Lexus has never been about performance and the 2.0t is no exception just because it has a turbo. This is in fact a IS250 replacement. A future Lexus V6t will probably be the same in terms of characteristics. I do understand the dissatisfaction too because people do compare the performance of this 2.0t to the BMW X28i and so on, its impossible to aviod that. But as we all know, Lexus build their performance cars "the Lexus way" and I expect them to build future turbo engines that way as well.
1. People should expect more. The 2.0t in Lexus products makes how much power compared to the comp? The ATS has 272hp. The Lexus is what?

2. Lexus is about sport. If Lexus is going to shove a LFA and a GSF or a RCF down the pipe line, they better sure as hell have the performance numbers to back the image up.
Old 01-05-16, 04:07 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
1. People should expect more. The 2.0t in Lexus products makes how much power compared to the comp? The ATS has 272hp. The Lexus is what?

2. Lexus is about sport. If Lexus is going to shove a LFA and a GSF or a RCF down the pipe line, they better sure as hell have the performance numbers to back the image up.
I know, Volvo gets 320 hp from the new 2.0T in the XC90 and this engine will find its way to smaller and sportier cars for sure. But that´s Volvo and not Lexus, or Toyota for that matter. Im pretty sure that there never will be an 245 hp + CT 200t. But there will be a Volvo C30 T6 AWD if people wants it, just like there is a BMW 135i.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you. I have been a Lexus owners since year 2000 and waited for them to "wake up" in the performance department for many years now, but I have lost the faith. TMC have their own way to make performance cars. Just look at the GT 86. There is no way that an American or European manufacturer would be satisfied with that engine as the only option. But Toyota is.
Old 01-06-16, 07:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Well if the 2.0T makes 270hp, where does that leave the V6 in their lineups and Lexus's ability to differentiate and charge more for upgraded engines? The 2.0T will not get a power boost until the V6T are out making upwards of 350hp and that will not happen until V8T are out making upwards of 450hp+. It's just marketing. Yes they are behind on the turbo and power game and that won't change for another year or two. The 2.0T was a beta product having driven the NX. Let's hope the V6 and V8 Turbos are finished products or closed to finish.

Quick Reply: Hope You Like Turbos, Because Lexus Sure Does