Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

🚗 Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles 📅

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 07:37 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

No mechanical issues ever with any Hondas in my family. very nice to drive and lots of attention to detail that toyota/lexus seem to just cost-cut away (sun glass holder, anyone?).

the only thing that really pisses me off is how crappy their paint is. We have 3 7th gen accords in the family.

Mine started to rust after 8 years, my mom's is starting to rust after 10, and my sister's clear coat is now completely gone after 12.
Old 12-22-15, 12:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I have never really understood the appeal of owning a Lexus to 200k. To me, a lease is so much better as you get a new car every fews years with all of the updated newer tech, warranty, and maintenance included. The updated tech is what is important to me IMO for luxury brand.

People want to be "seen" with a luxiry brand and this is where MB, Audi, and BMW exceed Lexus is so many ways, this is just IMO. I still truly believe Lexus is kinda like the Hyundai of luxury brands as the price entry is usually lower getting into a Lexus is the higher class.

All above needs to be thrown out the window for the LX/GX/4Runner/Land Cruiser as long term ownership is appealing for these vehicles.
Old 12-22-15, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have never really understood the appeal of owning a Lexus to 200k. To me, a lease is so much better as you get a new car every fews years with all of the updated newer tech, warranty, and maintenance included. The updated tech is what is important to me IMO for luxury brand.
Did you lease your Corolla? I remember when you got it, but not if it was bought or leased.

There are reasons, though, why leasing is not a good idea for some people. They are either lax about caring for the appearance of their cars, or have little control over where they park it and the hazards it is exposed to (scratches, dents/dings, tree-branches, keying, careless kids on bicycles or roller-skates, dogs/cats urinating on it, etc....). Or they drive on roads where debris can get kicked up and crack the glass. Or they have kids that get juice, ice cream, sodas, etc...all over the seats. Or they haul and load stuff in the cargo area that dirties or tears up the carpeting. Or they exceed the allowable annual miles, wear on the tires, etc.....all of that, and more, can mean extra charges at the end of the lease as an added penalty.

I'm with you, though on the general idea of not keeping a car too long. I usually get a new car every 4-6 years regardless of mileage. I kept my Outback for 7 years, but that was because it did so many different things so well....especially in the winter.

If I'm typically on schedule, though, I'll be looking at something new myself in the next 12-18 months. Right now, there are several new products from Buick, Lexus, and Lincoln I'd at least be interested in....the next-generation Buick Verano, Cascada convertible (though I don't like the Cascada's huge standard 20" wheels), next-generation LaCrosse (didn't care for the present one), the Lexus ES350 (the ES is always a safe buy, IMO), the next-generation Lincoln MKZ sedan, and the MKC small SUV. I'll consider another Outback if I have to start doing much winter driving again....IMO you can't beat Subies when the roads get slick, though the MKC's AWD should be able to handle most bad roads. The MKZ and LaCrosse also offer AWD, but we'll have to wait and see if the next-generation models still have that option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 06:07 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

If you've ever owned Italian cars, then you probably know how unreliable cars can get. Even the most unreliable Japanese car is light years ahead of a Fiat Group product, no matter how fun they are to drive. Or how good they sound, like an Alfa Twin Spark or Busso V6 sounds at 7000 rpm...
Old 12-23-15, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
If you've ever owned Italian cars, then you probably know how unreliable cars can get. Even the most unreliable Japanese car is light years ahead of a Fiat Group product, no matter how fun they are to drive. Or how good they sound, like an Alfa Twin Spark or Busso V6 sounds at 7000 rpm...

FIAT, at one time, meant "Fix it Again, Tony". Today's Fiats, of course, aren't quite in that same league anymore, but, according to Consumer Reports, are still well slow average in reliability by today's standards. I reviewed a new 500L after the Pope's visit (his choice of a 500L to ride around in, rather than a Pope's traditional limo, gave the car some publicity)...but I wasn't very impressed with it at all.
Old 12-23-15, 01:29 PM
damtachoa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have 1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6. It lasted around 245K miles. I still pocketed myself $1,800 after the sale on 2013. Not bad!!!
Old 12-23-15, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the article said that ANY car could last to 200k miles with proper maintenance. That means Japanese, German, American or whatever. The amount of $$$ it takes to help them reach that point is what makes the difference.
Old 12-23-15, 08:55 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
FIAT... "Fix it Again, Tony".
Ford... "Fix Or Repair Daily"
Old 12-23-15, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NXOwner
Ford... "Fix Or Repair Daily"
When I was in high school, not only did FORD mean Fix or Repair Daily, but also Found on Road Dead, and.....................First on Race Day
Old 12-24-15, 11:37 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW - I have a 1LS with almost 300K on it - when it rolls around time to replace it, I have faith the next car will last a long time, but in the day and age of cost-cutting and "sealed" fluid fills, I have some doubts.

With that said, my parents have 120K on their 2009 Prius - and it only saw the dealer for 1 warranty issue and 2 recalls.
Old 12-24-15, 12:18 PM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I have never really understood the appeal of owning a Lexus to 200k.
I don't make enough money to be going through cars every 3 years with leases. I value longevity, ease of care and want to ride my car out for the next 10 years. I think there are alot of people in my same situation.

People want to be "seen" with a luxiry brand and this is where MB, Audi, and BMW exceed Lexus is so many ways, this is just IMO. I still truly believe Lexus is kinda like the Hyundai of luxury brands as the price entry is usually lower getting into a Lexus is the higher class.
I would say that's a fair assessment for some of their vehicles like the IS. it undercuts the comparable 3 series models they compete with.
Old 12-24-15, 01:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

All above needs to be thrown out the window for the LX/GX/4Runner/Land Cruiser as long term ownership is appealing for these vehicles.

Not everybody can afford to or want to spend money leasing a car every 2-3 years. There are people with money who want something nice that they know is going to last them the next 5 to 10 years with no issues. Some people also drive way too much to do a lease. One of my friends has over 110k miles on his 2012 Camry, that's just from driving back and forth to work, its a 45 mile one way trip.

I'd never want to put that many miles out of warranty on a German car, I can't imagine how much something like 2012 550i would've run him on repair costs vs a Lexus LS460(if he had chose to spend that much on a car)
Old 12-25-15, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Not everybody can afford to or want to spend money leasing a car every 2-3 years. There are people with money who want something nice that they know is going to last them the next 5 to 10 years with no issues. Some people also drive way too much to do a lease. One of my friends has over 110k miles on his 2012 Camry, that's just from driving back and forth to work, its a 45 mile one way trip.

I'd never want to put that many miles out of warranty on a German car, I can't imagine how much something like 2012 550i would've run him on repair costs vs a Lexus LS460(if he had chose to spend that much on a car)
Why would you compare his Camry to a then LS460 to 550? The Camry is a car than should be bought vs leased IMO. As you go higher in the MSRP, to me it makes very little sense to buy the higher end cars.
Old 12-25-15, 11:42 AM
mmartin061
banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
No mechanical issues ever with any Hondas in my family. very nice to drive and lots of attention to detail that toyota/lexus seem to just cost-cut away (sun glass holder, anyone?).

the only thing that really pisses me off is how crappy their paint is. We have 3 7th gen accords in the family.

Mine started to rust after 8 years, my mom's is starting to rust after 10, and my sister's clear coat is now completely gone after 12.
Have owned both Toyota and Honda. Depends what year you buy them. The 91 Acura was hands down the best car I've ever owned. Then the 2001 IS300. My 1998 CL 2.3 had the tranny issue my GS400 had a bad cat shortly after I bought it at 100k miles had a bad example of a poorly kept 4runner and my 2008 Rav4 other than the 4wd going out before 100k has been rock solid. But that's a big expense. Every car has its issues. Early to mid 1990 models for Toyota and Honda are far gone. Problem is now though that Honda does not make any cars with soul. Acura is a forgone image and make some ugly cars. Not saying I like the look of the new Lexus'. Quite contrary. Only car I am looking to buy is an ISF. Everything they make in my opinion is just ugly. To each his own. My vote is 91 Acura CL and 2001 IS300 I have owned

Last edited by mmartin061; 12-25-15 at 11:43 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-25-15, 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by evident
I don't make enough money to be going through cars every 3 years with leases. I value longevity, ease of care and want to ride my car out for the next 10 years. I think there are alot of people in my same situation.

I would say that's a fair assessment for some of their vehicles like the IS. it undercuts the comparable 3 series models they compete with.
Don't all the Lexus sedans undercut their rivals?

Quick Reply: 🚗 Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles 📅