Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lyft co-founder: I won't teach my daughter to drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 02:30 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lyft co-founder: I won't teach my daughter to drive

I saw this article on LA Times and would like to hear the opinions of our members. Key take aways from the article:

"It's not because I'm cheap," Zimmer said. "It's because she won’t want to own one."

"Zimmer noted that the average American household utilizes its cars only 4% of the time and that seats are only 20% occupied. In L.A., commuters spend more than 250 hours a year in traffic. 'Simply put, owning a car today is not enjoyable,' he said."

"millennials... will help usher in a 'massive shift' away from car ownership."
Thoughts?
Old 11-17-15, 02:45 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's funny.. ohh "those" millenials

on the other hand, I, too, am a fellow millennial. My daughter is 6 and she actually asked me today when she'll get to learn to drive and I told her when she's 15. She's fully aware of the Toyota, Lexus, Scion brands and Im actually planning to teach her how to drive stick and how an engine works
Old 11-17-15, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Knowing how to operate a car is pretty important still, and very relevant despite autonomous tech being tested.

Boo to him
Old 11-17-15, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In L.A., commuters spend more than 250 hours a year in traffic. 'Simply put, owning a car today is not enjoyable,' he said."
It's true that traffic congestion in both L.A. and my own D.C. area rank among the worst in the country (San Francisco and Atlanta are also pretty bad), and driving can often be a PITA. But, for most normal persons who are not disabled or have other reasons why they can't learn to drive, I still can't imagine life without a car. And, in my case, I couldn't imagine life without reviewing cars LOL.
Old 11-17-15, 03:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

People are such a$$hole/clueless/thoughtless drivers these days....I hate to drive and avoid it whenever possible.... I'd rather walk/ride my bike/train/etc.
Old 11-17-15, 04:16 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

my thought?

it's not because the millennials are actively shifting away from car ownership.

it's because car ownership has become so expensive and difficult for young people.

my Niece is 22, she didn't start driving until she was 20:

1. because Drivers Ed is no longer offered in High School, you have to pay upwards of $700 for driving school (at least in the L.A. Area)

2. the driving age in CA has been raised to 18, while you can get a provisional license @ 17, you cannot have passengers under the age of 20 and cannot drive between 10pm and 5am.

3. Insurance (in CA) is assigned risk, meaning that your parents insurance can specifically exclude a teen driver and deny coverage, and then they are forced to be assigned an insurance company by the DMV, This typically happens after the first ticket or incident that the teen driver is involved in. This can set the rates @ $3,000 - $5,000 a year for BASIC coverage.

4. The average cost of a new vehicle is $30,000, the average cost of a safe used vehicle under 5 years old is $16,000.

5. teen jobs are hard to come by now, seeing as the bulk of the entry level minimum wage jobs are taken by folks that think they are a career and a livable wage.
Old 11-17-15, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds

it's not because the millennials are actively shifting away from car ownership.

Many young people, though, in fact, are shifting away from car ownership or a drivers' license, especially if they can get around by other means. The electronic social-media has also gone a long way in taking over their lives........heck, it takes up enough of our OWN time LOL.
Old 11-17-15, 04:53 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess that's possible with enough planning. Like the way we grew up before cell phones. Had to plan things ahead of time. Unfortunately, outside of major cities one needs a car.