Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 11:53 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Since the CLS is based on the E Class, does this new E Class mean that a new CLS is coming out soon?
I hope so. The current gen CLS has never done it for me, its like they tried to butch up the original car, but it didn't quite work.

I'd rate it in the top 5 best designs Mercedes has ever made:

Old 01-26-16, 12:41 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I hope so. The current gen CLS has never done it for me, its like they tried to butch up the original car, but it didn't quite work.

I'd rate it in the top 5 best designs Mercedes has ever made:

I had a 09 cls63 for a little and she was quite the head turner!
Old 01-26-16, 06:07 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

If they rename the CLS to CLE, that would make my OCD side really happy. Based on their current nomenclature, that is what it should be.

As for the new E, I like the interior but am a little disappointed by the exterior. It seems more bland than the S and even the C, and marks a return to the same sausage, different length approach of the past. While I don't mind that approach, it is still strange because I thought they wanted to get away from it due to customer feedback...
Old 01-26-16, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Right there with you on the fitment--it's nigh-on perfect. Nothing worse than a luxury car that looks like it should be riding on knobby tires. Not feeling the wheels themselves though. Can't quite articulate why.
Mb will likely offer several rim styles so should be something to please most people.
Old 02-11-16, 06:05 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Thanks to the optional Driving Assistance package, the new E-Class is taking the next step on the road to autonomous driving. Here you can find out about the highlights of the DRIVE PILOT and gain an insight into the future functions of the system. The E-Class is the world's first standard-production vehicle to be granted a test licence for autonomous driving in the state of Nevada in the USA where, for the first time and appropriately to coincide with the leading trade fair for entertainment electronics, the "CES" in Las Vegas, three E-Class models have been approved. Since the standard version is already comprehensively equipped with a host of intelligent technology, for test purposes only some slight software modifications need to be made to the DRIVE PILOT, which were implemented in the standard-fit Intelligent Drive Controller.
Old 02-12-16, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ awesome!!!! can't wait...
Old 02-12-16, 10:34 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I wonder how steep of a curve the current system will be able to do when they launch the E this summer.
Old 03-05-16, 04:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The Remote Parking Pilot allows the vehicle to be moved into and out of garages and parking spaces remotely using a smartphone app, enabling the occupants to get into and out of the car easily, even if space is very tight. The optional Parking Pilot can take the strain off the driver by helping them to search for a suitable parking space and making it easier to manoeuvre into and out of parking spaces with active steering intervention.
Old 03-08-16, 07:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

At the Mercedes-Benz plant in Sindelfingen, series production of the new E-Class has begun. Mercedes-Benz gathers the nine previous generations at the final assembly line of the world's most intelligent business saloon for the official production start with Markus Schäfer, Board Member Mercedes-Benz Cars, Production and Supply Chain Management. With more than 13 million saloons and estates sold, the E-Class is the highest selling vehicle in the history of Mercedes-Benz. The Mercedes-Benz plant in Sindelfingen is the competence center for the upper and luxury class in the Mercedes-Benz Cars global production network.

Mercedes-Benz is taking a big step into the future with the new E-Class celebrating its European debut in Geneva. The all-new E-Class is the most intelligent business saloon in the world. Numerous technical innovations enable comfortable and safe driving on a new level plus a new dimension in driver assistance. With the new Drive Pilot, Mercedes-Benz further advances on the way to autonomous driving. On motorways and country roads this system not only keeps a correct distance to the vehicles in front, for the first time it can also follow them at a speed of up to 210 km/h.

In the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class the optional high-resolution MULTIBEAM LED headlamps, each with 84 individually controlled high-performance LEDs, automatically illuminate the road with a hitherto unsurpassed, precision-controlled distribution of exceptionally bright light – without dazzling other road users. That's because this grid allows the light distribution of the left and right headlamps to be controlled separately and adapted to the changing situation on the road quickly and dynamically. All functions of the Intelligent Light System in low-beam and high-beam mode can furthermore be depicted purely digitally and without mechanical actuators for the first time, including, as a world first, a purely electronically implemented active light function.

We try the new Mercedes E-Class and see whether it lives up to its forebears on the innovation front.
Old 03-09-16, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the new e-class is now the benchmark midsize luxury sedan.
Old 03-09-16, 07:40 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If I lease anything, at this point, I think it might be this.
Old 03-09-16, 07:44 AM
DavoMS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/20...-benz-e-class/
Old 03-09-16, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

short front overhang for the win...

Old 03-09-16, 06:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
short front overhang for the win...

it's not that short, but still shorter than most.

Old 03-09-16, 08:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The above is a render with too large an overhang, but yes the red picture is angled to make the front overhang shorter than it is.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class