Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Mercedes E Class

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 08:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean a 1980s Buick 70s-era Buick dashes weren't that much different from the 60s or 50s.

Have you driven a recent E-Class, though? It is quite a nice product on the road....retro dash or not.
Yes, an 80's Buick too. Thank you Mike. Just totally outdated by decades. Folks need not be wowed by nice wood trim, shiny bits, high-tech video displays, and attractive light colors alone. Just about any new premium sedan can be had with those features.
Old 12-08-15, 08:42 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that is a nice interior. I don't mind parts sharing when they have such a nice design like that.
Old 12-08-15, 08:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yes, an 80's Buick too. Thank you Mike. Just totally outdated by decades. Folks need not be wowed by nice wood trim, shiny bits, high-tech video displays, and attractive light colors alone. Just about any new premium sedan can be had with those features.
If you remove the wood trim, the shiny bits, the high tech displays, and the ambient lighting, you're left with a Nissan Versa. Why buy luxury at all? This is progressive luxury. People liked to be wowed, and MB is giving what the people want but also using very high quality materials to boot
Old 12-08-15, 09:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

What is wrong with America today that most people think that this type of interior styling in an expensive car is acceptable? It's a freaken BOX for a dashboard! This is about as lazy as any designer can become- just make one long rectangle and throw all gauges and info inside. It looks no different than a 1970's Buick, with a jumbo rectangle shape spanning atop most of the dash. Unimaginative, dated, bloated, lazy, and a throw-back to a retired era. There is absolutely nothing progressive here. The stand-out retro air vents are also warts on a face. Very disappointing in the S-Class, and now just as shameful in the E-Class.
Said no one lol. Probably the best in class at this point. Unless the G30 5 series comes up with something out of left field
Old 12-08-15, 09:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The standard instrument panel is seriously ugly. I get what they were going for but...ugh

Originally Posted by RXSF
leaked a day early! Love it, Im pretty sure this will be in my garage next year. Of course, the pictures are fully loaded models. The metal burmester speakers in the doors are beautiful, and the digital gauges are optional
It's going to be 2 years for me. Need to wait for the new I6 motors to roll out, since they won't be available on the first year models and I want this car as a DD. I absolutely love this interior though. Best of the 3 sedans for me.

One thing that worries me is if the center console trim is only available in piano black. I don't mind it but I think it might look better matches with the rest of the trim.
Old 12-08-15, 09:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

What is wrong with America today that most people think that this type of interior styling in an expensive car is acceptable? It's a freaken BOX for a dashboard! This is about as lazy as any designer can become- just make one long rectangle and throw all gauges and info inside. It looks no different than a 1970's Buick, with a jumbo rectangle shape spanning atop most of the dash. Unimaginative, dated, bloated, lazy, and a throw-back to a retired era. There is absolutely nothing progressive here. The stand-out retro air vents are also warts on a face. Very disappointing in the S-Class, and now just as shameful in the E-Class.
I'm a consumer in this segment and I don't see where you are coming from at all. There is nothing lazy about how this interior or the interior of the S Class is designed. Yes the displays are a big rectangle, but what shape do you want the displays to be? This is the most intelligent and functional way to set these displays up. Style is following function here which is how it should be to a certain degree.

These interiors are beautiful, they aren't overly trendy, functional...all what people spending $70-120k on a Mercedes are looking for.

Mercedes outright owns the crown for best luxury interiors right now IMHO.
Old 12-08-15, 09:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

One thing that worries me is if the center console trim is only available in piano black. I don't mind it but I think it might look better matches with the rest of the trim.
That is a really good catch about the console trim. That piano black is just going to scratch too easily.

My plan is to order this some time in late October for delivery in December, where they will have the best winter deals. Isn't the E supposed to be released in the spring of 2016 in the US but as early as January for Europe? Here's to hoping that 2017 models arrive in late 2016...
Old 12-08-15, 09:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mercedes outright owns the crown for best luxury interiors right now IMHO.
Short of the Bentley/Rolls class, yes, some of the new M-B interiors are impressive, but they are just catching up now. Audi, for years, set the industry standard in its class for beautifully-crafted interiors...and only recently has Mercedes begun to compete in that area.
Old 12-08-15, 11:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

If you remove the wood trim, the shiny bits, the high tech displays, and the ambient lighting, you're left with a Nissan Versa. Why buy luxury at all? This is progressive luxury. People liked to be wowed, and MB is giving what the people want but also using very high quality materials to boot
Yes, I agree. But you missed what I said. I said... "all those features, alone..." They can't achieve and progress by just having all those features because everyone else now has them too. There has to be more to the package. And that leaves the overall shape of what you stare at everytime you get in the car and drive. I big rectangle is about as dull and lazy as any artist or designer can come up with. Most other premium brands, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, for example, have some sort of binnacle, dome, inset, graceful curve, or eye-candy signature profile that sparks some interest of the dashboard. They have managed to create a form over function or even function over form situation that is more than just a rectangular box.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 12-09-15 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 02:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wooooo the interior looks nice, doesn't flow as smooth as the S class but the finally got a large screen in a non S class model! Would love to see a red interior with diamond stitches!
Old 12-09-15, 02:23 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

well
damn.

E class just showed you what's up
Old 12-09-15, 04:04 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

These interiors are beautiful, they aren't overly trendy, functional...all what people spending $70-120k on a Mercedes are looking for.
This interior is as vintage as it can be. A travel back to the 70-80 era of Mercedes, but in a modern touch of course . And I agree that it looks nice

Old 12-09-15, 04:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Yes, I agree. But you missed what I said. I said... "all those features, alone..." They can't achieve and progress by just having all those features because everyone else now has them too. There has to be more to the package. And that leaves the overall shape of what you stare at everytime you get in the car and drive. I big rectangle is about as dull and lazy as any artist or designer can come up with. Most other premium brands, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, for example, have some sort of binnacle, dome, inset, graceful curve, or eye-candy signature profile that sparks some interest of the dashboard. They have managed to create a form over function or even function over form situation that is more than just a rectangular box.
I think its rather interesting you've managed to ignore the rest of the interior detailing, as if to suggest the rectangular instrument binnacle is the only thing that makes up the interior. The rectangle's contrast to the flowing interior is part of the style, not a sign of laziness.
Old 12-09-15, 05:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Upon further investigation I like the standard gauges themselves, just not their integration.

Isn't the E supposed to be released in the spring of 2016 in the US but as early as January for Europe? Here's to hoping that 2017 models arrive in late 2016...
Right. If the engines will be ready by late 2016 for 2017 MY I'll order then as well. Also note the next-gen touchpad (seen below) will be coming for 2017 as well.

Old 12-09-15, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I think MB's setup with this big wide screen is more attractive than the other vehicles you mention. None of them by the way offer as large a display or as much information accessible from the driver...I've driven them all.

The S Class is far and away the best selling flagship luxury car despite being the most expensive, but hey, what does MB know? Lol

This car will be the best selling mid sized luxury sedan too, no doubt in my mind.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-09-15 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Mercedes E Class