Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Car Reliability Survey 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 03:44 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not only some manufacturers missing which the article states, but under 'BRAND' some models are missing. Doesn't say which ones. This study does seem skewed
Consumer Reports only include models with at least 100 respondents, i.e. models that don't sell in meaningful numbers don't get included.
Old 10-22-15, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Consumer Reports only include models with at least 100 respondents, i.e. models that don't sell in meaningful numbers don't get included.
Got it.

So 7 out of the 11 Lexus models were reported. Just a guess but maybe the CT, RC, GX and LX were omitted
Old 10-22-15, 10:09 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it.

So 7 out of the 11 Lexus models were reported. Just a guess but maybe the CT, RC, GX and LX were omitted
GX being the most reliable model in its class decade long.

You sounds just like a noob, really disappointed me this time.
Old 10-23-15, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, imagine average is 100.

Brand with +50% has 50 problems on average, while one with -50% have 150 problems on average.

So the difference is quite large between the two.
except the numbers are percentages not numbers of problems.
Old 10-23-15, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
GX being the most reliable model in its class decade long.

You sounds just like a noob, really disappointed me this time.
guess you missed ydooby's post:

The GX may be reliable but it does not sell in significant numbers
Old 10-23-15, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BornDriver
It is unbelievable that some Audi/ BMW models are better than the very best Lexus in Reliability, .
Well, it might be believable. I know a few owners who get the CR survey, they usually let their 9 year old children fill out the surveys. CR is a big joke, they still wait till all others have reviewed new cars on embargo day, and then a few weeks or months later they carefully create their review around what has already been published.

The problem with CR is that the data can be manipulated and massaged in a lot of ways.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-23-15 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
CR is a big joke, they still wait till all others have reviewed new cars on embargo day, and then a few weeks or months later they carefully create their review around what has already been published.
If you think that CR's road-test people are simply a bunch of lackeys waiting to parrot or massage what other reviewers come up with, think again. Most of them are professionals, with degrees in automotive engineering.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-23-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 07:16 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Isn't Audi using VW engine and platform?
The 2.0T may be used in both brands, but I think the Supercharged V6 and NA V8 are exclusive to Audi. Those are used in the S4, S5, S6, RS5, A8, etc. Also, I've read the nav system in VWs isn't that great. It is in Audis, so they must also be different.
Old 10-23-15, 08:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Got it.

NX more likely, I dont think they consider first year models.
Old 10-23-15, 08:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except the numbers are percentages not numbers of problems.
it is not so hard to understand... 0% is average number of complaints for complete survey.

So if average is 100, and Prius c does 80% better then average, then it has 20 problems per 100 vehicles while for instance Tesla has 145 problems with 100 vehicles.

They count the problems and present them as % instead of actual numbers.

Results are normalized into % so it is easier to understand the difference between cars and brands.
Old 10-23-15, 08:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cino
Isn't Audi using VW engine and platform?
Yes... but Audi doesnt score well in most of these surveys either, except for CR lately. Maybe they "normalize" results different, ie decide what is more important problem. I think VDS prioritizes more important issues vs something that falls under navigation usability.

In any case, drop of Porsche is also seen in JDP's VDS:

Old 10-23-15, 09:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

someone pulled this from CR site... not looking good for Tesla with different MY either... best MY had 70, far worse than anyone else. I can imagine that with new models coming, this can only go worse.

Old 10-23-15, 09:35 PM
KoalaFD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that it's interesting that Consumer Reports review is now being taken as solid evidence of Lexus' top dog standings when, a little more than a month ago, Club Lexus was calling them a "boring Consumer website" that "makes up lies to drive views". That was when they called the new Lexus NX one of the worst cars in 2015 after a glowing first drive review, remember?

In the interest of full disclosure, I do have one of the first Tesla Model S sedans as well as several Lexus models reaching back to my 1993 SC400. Since then, my family has owned and loved our HS, RX350, IS250, and GS350. My dad will only drive a Lexus and with good reason.

Let's not forget that no less than 3 months ago, Consumer Reports gave the Model S the highest ever score that it has ever given out. The only two explanations for such a now divergent point of view is either (1) you didn't know what you were talking about to start with, or (2) you are lying about one of the two estimations. Consumer Reports is heavily weighted towards reliability (is there even a "style" rating and, if so, does it even count?) and I have a hard time believing that a "poor reliability" car can score the highest score ever.

Although my sample size with the Model S is, of course, 1, I haven't had any reliability problems with it whatsoever. Granted, it has only been 2-3 years for the Model S, but I have not been to the service center for any issues besides the yearly check. There is only one fluid (windshield wiper) and brake wear is seriously nonexistent (at 99% after 2 years). My screen has never frozen on me or become dysfunctional to the point where a 10 second reset will not address the problem and even this has happened perhaps once every 6 months. If anything, the interface improves with time as the car updates its own software.

As for the rattles, shakes, and evidence of a poorly built car, I can't help but think back to when the Model S first came out and complaints were arising from a fair number of consumers about the fact that the road noise on the Model S was so harsh and loud. Turns out that the road noise was really no more than other cars, but that it was more evident due to the lack of engine noise. For me, after I drove it for a little while, even the perception of road noise was gone.

I can't deny that I wish that my Model S had more of the more "basic" technologies that are incorporated in other brands and models in its price class. They have since fixed a lot of these, but it makes me a little jealous when I drop mine off for its yearly check and the new models have an array of sensors and LTE connectivity that mine does not.

In a sense, Tesla is almost the antithesis of Toyota/Lexus in that Tesla is continuously pushing the envelope of technology, at times succeeding wildly and at other failing miserably. With Auto Pilot now out, they are pushing the limits of automobiles even farther and I'm a little scared of what will happen. As far as the Model X goes, I'm afraid that it is probably overly hyped and, for me, a little too "gadgety" with those crazy doors and other features.

Please keep in mind that I am not downplaying Lexus' awesomeness in reliability and cars. We love what we have and I am no exception. I'm just saying that I have never taken Consumer Reports that seriously when it comes to automotive reviews with my faith waning even more in the last few years. If I'm looking for a camera or a toaster, I might go to CR, but probably not even for that.
Old 10-23-15, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Strange ratings outcome. But if accurate, that's great for Audi. Always held that brand in high regard, but it was more related to their restrained, modern styling.
Acura is really the surprise here. With most models mimicking Honda models, I don't quite see how they could possibly be that low. Maybe it's the drivers not understanding modern technology? I haven't heard of any friends having problems with their Acuras.
Old 10-24-15, 08:52 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
someone pulled this from CR site... not looking good for Tesla with different MY either... best MY had 70, far worse than anyone else. I can imagine that with new models coming, this can only go worse.

Thanks for sharing this chart. I wonder why Lexus has only one model included, while Tesla has two, presumably with the super rare Tesla Roadster included. Also Audi doesn't fare so well in this chart either, while their CR reliability rating has been clearly above average for the past three years.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Car Reliability Survey 2015