Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Testing Semi-Autonomous Lexus GS on Japanese Highways

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 03:08 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Toyota Testing Semi-Autonomous Lexus GS on Japanese Highways

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...nese-highways/

I guess all cars really will become fully-autonomous transportation pods.
Old 10-06-15, 03:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I always loved to be chauffeured, and I like the idea of being driven by twins, a driver in the flesh, and a computerized clone. When people are at the wheel, I sometimes am scared. Today, I am not worried at all. The human and the robot driver exude confidence, the robot’s driving style is smooth and poised. On-ramp to off-ramp, the human driver could eat, text his girlfriends, or poke his nose. Mannered Japanese he is, he does neither, and he keeps his hands in his lap in a strange yoga pose. Actually, he already looks a bit like a bot. The bot is similarly mannered: As a car approaches a bit fast from the rear, the bot puts on his blinker, and moves into the slow lane. If the man in the fast lane wants a ticket, the bot won’t be in his way.
http://dailykanban.com/2015/10/i-was...to-write-this/
Old 10-06-15, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Highway Teammate, a modified Lexus GS, features equipment that enables automated driving on highways from the on-ramp all the way through to the off-ramp. It uses on-board technology to evaluate traffic conditions, make decisions and take action during highway driving. This includes merging onto or exiting highways, maintaining or changing lanes, and maintaining inter-vehicle distances.

To engage automated operation, the driver switches to automated driving after passing through a toll gate and entering a highway on-ramp. Highway Teammate is able to pinpoint its position using highly accurate road map data. It also uses multiple external sensors to recognize nearby vehicles and hazards, and selects appropriate routes and lanes depending on the destination. Based on these data inputs, Highway Teammate then automatically operates the steering wheel, accelerator, and brakes to achieve the appropriate speed and driving lines in much the same way as a person would drive.

By successfully combining recognition and decision-making processes with the ability to take action, Highway Teammate embodies the kind of safety technology that is expected to play a key role in future products. Toyota believes that mobility should mean safety, efficiency and freedom, and is ramping up its research into and development of automated driving technologies, with the goal of launching products based on Highway Teammate by around 2020.

http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/9753831
Old 10-07-15, 02:39 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Page News!

What crazy (and creepy) technology. Here's my front page take on it...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/s...-around-japan/
Old 10-07-15, 02:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adpock
What crazy (and creepy) technology. Here's my front page take on it...
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/s...-around-japan/
if Toyota is going to take us on autonomous highway ride by 2020, from on-ramp to off-ramp, then everyone else will likely have same tech at most by 2022.

This is first time I feel like new tech could change the world we drive in.

It also coincides with Toyota announcing first car with ITS system in Japan that makes it possible for vehicle to vehicle and road to vehicle communication:

Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) is, ITS * 1 the world's first to models to be released in the upcoming driving support systems ITS Connect utilizing road-to-vehicle, vehicle-to-vehicle communication using dedicated frequency (760MHz) Domestic * 2 is mounted, It expands on this year up to three models.
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/9652000

It starts with Toyota Crown... it will be able to see how much until green light, warn about red light, warn about left-turn intersection (if another car is passing through it), warn about emergency vehicle and communicate with other cars radar cruise control so speeding/slowing down is smoother process.
Old 10-07-15, 05:11 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Finally you can be drunk behind the wheel.
Old 10-07-15, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Finally you can be drunk behind the wheel.
and so many other possibilities
Old 10-08-15, 01:27 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should really test the system in Montreal. Tons of potholes and no visible lines to divide lanes. I do hope the system that Toyota is building and all the other car companies, can remember where the lanes are in say a snowstorm.
Old 10-08-15, 04:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
They should really test the system in Montreal. Tons of potholes and no visible lines to divide lanes. I do hope the system that Toyota is building and all the other car companies, can remember where the lanes are in say a snowstorm.
video shows pretty crazy intersections on that highway, so they are testing it in complex scenario.

However, i doubt it will be able to guess its way during snowstorm, you will probably have to take over at that... maps are never updated on daily basis, they have to be able to see with cameras in order to take over.
Old 10-08-15, 04:52 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

2020? Is this planned for perhaps for the 5LS facelift or maybe the 5GS (due circa early 2019)? We'll see how they keep developing this technology, as they may not be first to execute it. Toyota has many firsts, but are rarely quick to advertise them outside of the JDM.
Old 10-08-15, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
2020? Is this planned for perhaps for the 5LS facelift or maybe the 5GS (due circa early 2019)? We'll see how they keep developing this technology, as they may not be first to execute it. Toyota has many firsts, but are rarely quick to advertise them outside of the JDM.
Daily Kanban has first look already, since they are based in Japan.

For real autonomous driving that can do very complicated maneuvers, they need true 360 view of cars surroundings. GS test car has latest prototype sensors pictured above... they are still not small enough to properly fit the car.

Still ways to go, but big improvement over their last year testing, and few months ago they started new office for these autonomous technologies and staffed 500 engineers into it. This is real autonomous driving tho - not like what Tesla is advertising, this is like what Google/Volvo/MB are doing and much more serious when it comes to sensors.

As far as commercialization of autonomous driving goes, also not much will happen for a few years. Back at Ariake, Ken Koibuchi tells me that the tech I tested today won’t be on the market before 2020, because that’s how long it takes a responsible company to test a quantum-leap like that, and that’s how long it will take to produce the still experimental sensor arrays in the required form factor and cost. Since I checked on that sensor last year, it already has slimmed down its size. From afar, the Lexus GS looks like a normal car, no rotating coffee-pot on the roof. Getting a bit closer, one notices the sensor under the rear-view mirror, and bulges over the c-pillar in the back. For a production car, those will have to go.
http://dailykanban.com/2015/10/i-was...to-write-this/
Old 10-08-15, 05:13 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i really cannot wait for this to happen. 5-10 years...
Old 10-08-15, 06:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

great stuff!
Old 10-08-15, 07:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ABC
i really cannot wait for this to happen. 5-10 years...
apparently 5... within 10 it should be cheap and on almost every car over $20k.