Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Here we go again... 2016 models have different cheat device.

Just when you thought the Volkswagen emissions scandal couldn't get any worse, it might do just that. The automaker revealed to US regulators last week that its 2016 diesel models may have a different device that could help those vehicles earn higher marks on the government's emissions tests. The tech in question is "auxiliary emissions control device" separate from the software on automobiles made between 2009-2015 that was first disclosed last month. This new software heats the pollution control catalyst quicker, boosting the performance of the components responsible for separating harmful nitrogen dioxide into nitrogen and oxygen.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/14/v...ing/#continued
Old 10-14-15, 03:36 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Here we go again... 2016 models have different cheat device.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/14/v...ing/#continued
Well, in all honesty, the latest may just be some sensationalism by news outlets. Heating up exhaust gases to burn off particulates may be a valid emission control mechanism as long as the output is then filtered properly and not exhausted in the environment.
Old 10-14-15, 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Well, in all honesty, the latest may just be some sensationalism by news outlets. Heating up exhaust gases to burn off particulates may be a valid emission control mechanism as long as the output is then filtered properly and not exhausted in the environment.
nope... VW had to disclose it to EPA last week to get approval for 2016 engines.... it is done only when emissions testing, not during usual drive.

Thats the problem... usual fuel spending to warm up is not a problem... doing it more just during emissions testing is a problem.
Old 10-14-15, 04:36 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone is going to pay for this internally since VW is going to lose $10-$30 billion
Apparently everyone at the R&D department since VW will reduce the R&D budget with 1 billion Euro every year for the next couple of years. They will also change platform to electric vehicles and the new Phaeton will have no diesel options, electric only.
Old 10-14-15, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Apparently everyone at the R&D department since VW will reduce the R&D budget with 1 billion Euro every year for the next couple of years. They will also change platform to electric vehicles and the new Phaeton will have no diesel options, electric only.
yeah, i would not want to bet that this will do anything to their diesels... dont read US media when it comes to this.

All that VW has said is that they will move to SCR for diesels, which they already did with EuroVI engines.

Europeans wont stop buying diesels and VW wont stop making them. Sales are not down right now, so in 2-3 months nobody will remember this has happened anyway.
Old 10-14-15, 08:10 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Few hundred engineers work on R&D of an engine, and a lot of the code comes from outside suppliers. In this case, it was Bosch that did the original code for this and they covered their tracks by leaving proper paper trail of requests.

As to some engine engineer going through this on their own, thats not even possible.... all of this is locked down and not accessible at all to anyone but VW and Bosch R&D team. People who fix VW cars dont have anything to do with this or way to access it, for them it is just a black box.

As documents start to show now, a lot of high up managers knew about this and thus hundreds of engineers did as well.

CEO certainly knew about it, Winterkom is a very detailed man and engineer - we all saw videos of him checking out Hyundai i30 steering wheel adjustment at trade show and yelling at his engineer how come they cant do it in Golf... and then to think that this guy did not know about how his engineers managed to comply with worlds strictest emission laws without doing SCR? Thats a joke. Do not be so naive. There is a reason they stripped him of all duties in VW group, not just VW.

Someone is going to pay for this internally since VW is going to lose $10-$30 billion
Ah hah. So hundreds knew about it and not one soul felt like honestly and integrity is paramount? They all played along? Impossible. Only a select few i.e. "hit team" knew about it. The special team that was charged to make sure that the engine developed by the engine team passes EPA. In such a large organization, there are too handoffs from one team /dept to the other. They don't sit on one floor with tables next to each other. They are spread all over the country and the world.
Old 10-15-15, 12:04 PM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nope... VW had to disclose it to EPA last week to get approval for 2016 engines.... it is done only when emissions testing, not during usual drive.

Thats the problem... usual fuel spending to warm up is not a problem... doing it more just during emissions testing is a problem.
Actually they have no excuse. It happened because they just couldn't care a damn. A sort of syndrome that sets in with most motoring manufacturers when they start believing they're successful.
Old 10-21-15, 07:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

From February through April 2013, they tested three diesel cars: a Volkswagen Jetta, a Volkswagen Passat, and a BMW SUV. Besch took charge of the initial assessment, using the dynos, and he was impressed. The cars emitted almost nothing, prompting some crowing from Besch about European engineering. When Besch’s fellow investigator, Arvind Thiruvengadam, joined him to take the cars on the road, however, the results were different. The road tests captured a variety of conditions: high elevations up Mt. Baldy; stop-and-go urban errand-running in San Diego; freeway driving around Los Angeles. The two Volkswagens’ emissions exceeded standards by 5 to 35 times. The BMW’s didn’t.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ot-have-known-

took 2 years for this to come out....
Old 10-22-15, 01:03 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ot-have-known-

took 2 years for this to come out....
This is a very clear and concise summary of the developments that pushed VW engineers to use cheating software in order to meet US emissions standards.
Old 10-22-15, 08:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
This is a very clear and concise summary of the developments that pushed VW engineers to use cheating software in order to meet US emissions standards.
yep, and it is all managements fault as always not the actual guys that implemented the code.

Of course, with German and French police raids, this is becoming serious. More heads will roll because VW shareholders demand that people who managed this get punished. So I dont think that they will simply coverup everything, this is going to cost possibly over $30 billions, and shareholders will want punishment for all of the managment that was involved.
Old 10-22-15, 09:05 AM
roadbike56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well in later news, the head of Quality at VW has now been suspended and VW is investigating another diesel engine to see if the software was used in those cars as well. As I said before, the internal investigation that occurred in 2011 means someone in QA knew about the software and quashed the investigation. I think that's why the head of Quality is no longer at work (my opinion). If a second engine is indicted, that will be further proof that a number of people were involved. I don't believe for one minute that only a "handful" of people knew about the software. Perhaps they did not know the actual code, but they sure knew about the results, especially after the 2011 internal investigation.

Last edited by roadbike56; 10-22-15 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 09:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I don't believe for one minute that only a "handful" of people knew about the software.
Me either.
Old 10-22-15, 09:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

yep, and it is all managements fault as always not the actual guys that implemented the code.

Of course, with German and French police raids, this is becoming serious. More heads will roll because VW shareholders demand that people who managed this get punished. So I dont think that they will simply coverup everything, this is going to cost possibly over $30 billions, and shareholders will want punishment for all of the managment that was involved.

Soon, there may be no more "old guard" left at VW; all the Old Boys (and they truly seem to all be old men) will have been forced out.

Perhaps it will be the perfect opportunity to promote or hire some truly brilliant, young, diverse (including women) senior management.
Old 10-22-15, 10:23 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Me either.
which means all the hundreds of engineers who work the engine platform formed a nexus/cartel to get this through EPA? Also they had a townhouse meeting where all VW employees discussed how they achieved the results and they all happily flipped the bird to the EPA?
Old 10-22-15, 10:27 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

yikes, more fuel to Leonardo DiCaprio's movie since he bought the movie rights. I really don't know how true that is or not but, if it is, I wonder how Hollywood will put a twist to this story i.e. if Leonardo or some other actor will be the humble engineer or the evil VW management or bloodsucking lawyer or EPA investigator.

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal