Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volkswagen diesel scandal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
Clever.

What do you drive?
Not sure what this has to do with the VW scandal, but my last three cars were an IS300, an Outback, and a Verano. Liked all three of them, but in different ways.
Old 10-02-15, 08:24 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Credit Susie is saying it could cost Volkswagen up to 87 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/02/news...credit-suisse/
Old 10-02-15, 08:32 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure what this has to do with the VW scandal, but my last three cars were an IS300, an Outback, and a Verano. Liked all three of them, but in different ways.
Cool.

I was just always curious because you've reviewed/driven so many different cars, and your automobile opinion is respected around this forum.
Old 10-02-15, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Cool.

I was just always curious because you've reviewed/driven so many different cars, and your automobile opinion is respected around this forum.
Thanks. I joined CL when I owned my IS300, looking for some data on a factory TSB/ECU update for the IS300's 5-speed automatic. The rest is history.....I liked the site (especially CAR CHAT), and stayed on even after I no longer physically owed a Lexus.

(Hoovey2411, BTW, also does some good reviews himself, besides the the numerous autoblog articles he posts. Occasionally, we also get reviews from other CL members).

On the VW scandal, BTW, VW stock is down to the $90-92 range, from a high some time ago of $208. (It's likely to drop even further). Somebody here is going to take a bath...especially if they actually sell their shares (though according to IRS tax laws, the first $3000 in capital losses can be deducted). Of course, one could hold on to their stock and see if it eventually recovers at least some if its former value if or when VW gets through this crisis without folding.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-15 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Here's How Much Horsepower Volkswagens Lose From Their Diesel Defeat Device

http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-much-h...%28Jalopnik%29

Volkswagen’s up the creek with their Dieselgate fiasco. They created a “cheat” calibration meant to trick the EPA into thinking their cars are cleaner than they really are. But there might be a quick fix. Question is: how much will this fix cost you in performance?

We’ve already told you that Volkswagen’s “fix” for their smog-inducing diesels will cost you performance, but how much performance are we talkin’ here?

We can’t tell you exactly how much, but TFL Car put on its nerdy scientist hat and ran a quick and dirty experiment. They strapped a 2011 Jetta TDI to a dyno and produced power curves with only the front wheels spinning and then again with all four wheels spinning.

Why did they do this? Well, we’ve shown you the basics on how the “dyno calibration” works. One input VW uses to determine if the car is on a dyno being emissions tested is the wheel speed sensors. If all four wheels are spinning, the ECU will read the sensors and think the car is probably on the road. If the rear wheels are stationary while the fronts are spinning, chances are the car is on a dyno, and that’s when Volkswagen activates cheater mode.

By that logic, when tested on a four-wheel drive dyno with the rears spinning, the car should run normally and produce good power numbers, while on a two-wheel drive dyno with the rear wheels sitting still, there should be a performance degradation as the car activates its dubious “defeat mode.”

TFL Car’s results show exactly that. Peak power between both sets of data looks about the same, but the real difference is low and mid-range torque. The biggest torque disparity occurs at about 2700 RPM, where the “non-cheater” data with all four wheels rolling showed a whopping 32 lb-ft more torque. The biggest difference in horsepower occurred at 2800 RPM— the uninhibited car made 15 more ponies.

We don’t know how many tests TFL Car ran or if they truly were able to produce “apples-to-apples” torque curves, but if so, their numbers could indicate about how much power Volkswagen’s software fix is going to cost VW TDI owners.
Old 10-03-15, 11:15 AM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

annnnnnd it just got worse for VW.

Deaths are now being linked with this whole scandal.

RIP VW
Old 10-03-15, 11:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

annnnnnd it just got worse for VW.

Lawyers smell blood and a big pay day and are now being linked with this whole scandal.

RIP VW
fixed.

remember 'too big to fail' in banking? i believe that will happen here too, in that the german govt will not let vw go down.
Old 10-03-15, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed.

remember 'too big to fail' in banking? i believe that will happen here too, in that the german govt will not let vw go down.
The way things are in Germany today, though, it may boil down to where the money goes.........VW or the refugees.
Old 10-03-15, 02:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

fixed.

why would vw go down? It will hurt them for sure, but VW has over 40 billion in cash right now. All of their current vehicles on sale (2016 models) are fine, only 2015 and before are not.

So yes, losing 20-30-40 billion is really bad for VW, but the company wont go down by any means.
Old 10-03-15, 02:50 PM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

fixed.

Originally Posted by Peter Adams, environmental engineer
"Statistically, we can't point out who died because of this policy, but some people have died or likely died as a result of this,"
Originally Posted by Dan Greenbaum, president of the Health Effects Institute
"Even the small increase in NOx from VW diesel emissions is likely to have worsened pollution along the roadways where they have traveled, and affected the lives of hundreds of thousands of people,"
You get a settlement, you get a settlement, EVERYONE GETS A SETTLEMENT!
Old 10-03-15, 05:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

VW should do the world a favor and develop a diesel engine with pollution that specifically targets lawyers, environmental "engineers", and the rest of the leeches.
Old 10-03-15, 06:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

What is wrong with environmental engineers? Without them you would have no clean water to drink and would be living in your ****. I will add that environmental engineering is nearly as old as civilization itself.
Old 10-03-15, 07:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What is wrong with environmental engineers? Without them you would have no clean water to drink and would be living in your ****. I will add that environmental engineering is nearly as old as civilization itself.
There are environmental engineers, and then there are environmental "engineers".
Old 10-03-15, 07:45 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
There are environmental engineers, and then there are environmental "engineers".
I thought they were included in "the rest of the leeches"

BTW, here's the article that outlines how they determined how many deaths:
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/busi...e871dd500.html

Interesting quote:
The calculations should be put in context of air that is getting dramatically cleaner in the United States, experts said. Also, the deaths from extra pollution are dwarfed by the 35,000 people in the U.S. a year who die in auto accidents and are closer to the annual U.S. death toll of spider or snake bites.

Last edited by My0gr81; 10-03-15 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-03-15, 08:33 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would vw go down? It will hurt them for sure, but VW has over 40 billion in cash right now. All of their current vehicles on sale (2016 models) are fine, only 2015 and before are not.

So yes, losing 20-30-40 billion is really bad for VW, but the company wont go down by any means.
VW is going nowhere. Not only does it have cash in reserve, it is a BIG company which means it has fat to burn. So what if this results in a few lean years -- no new Bugatti or Lamborghini models for another few years (continue selling existing models)?

Among its major shareholders is also the state of Lower Saxony, Germany, where VW has its HQ (Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony). Lower Saxony bought into VW years ago to prevent a foreign takeover (and resulting loss of jobs). Who does not think that Lower Saxony will not do what is needed to help save VW?

Quick Reply: Volkswagen diesel scandal