Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help my mom find a new SUV

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-15, 02:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 75, she certainly breaks the mold. Did she say what she liked over the Highlander? Interesting that she would go for the harder, rougher, truck based ride over more comfort and plushness.

Congrats to your Mom.
Old 05-26-15, 10:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
At 75, she certainly breaks the mold. Did she say what she liked over the Highlander? Interesting that she would go for the harder, rougher, truck based ride over more comfort and plushness.

Congrats to your Mom.
A few things my mom didn't like. First she thought that it sat too car like inside. Then she did not like the touch buttons on the dash and my dad was not sold on the idea of having the same 3.5 engine in both of their cars. He was more interested in having something different from the engine.

A few things my mom noticed about the 4Runner. I never thought a 75 year old woman would ever notice.

1. The new 4Runner did not have as much low end torque than her 04 V8. She said the words

2. She knew what a break in period is.

3. She knew the 4Runner was made in Japan

4. She knew it was frame based.

5. Why change models when she absolutely loves the 4Runner she already has. Why not get another 4Runner.

Now, I can tell that the ride is softer than the 04 and she picked that up. Its much softer. She also noticed that it did have 20 inch rims. The 4Runner drives like a truck where the new one drives like a sedan. Strange!!!

Total discount was $4374, she was super excited to buy some accessories such as cargo tanneau, cargo mat, global theft thing, and under coating tar. Which she knew existed and she asked for.

After was all said and done she wanted to go back and look at the demo model on the show room floor and check it out again before we left.

So overall cost was just shy of $54k.

It was pretty exciting to see her passionate about something like a new car, especially at her age.
Old 05-26-15, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then she did not like the touch buttons on the dash.
If you're talking about the video-icons on the screen, It's hard to get around them nowadays. Even some econoboxes have them.

1. The new 4Runner did not have as much low end torque than her 04 V8. She said the words
It might (?) have a little more spunk after the engine is fully broken in, although break-ins on modern engines are less needed than in the past.

It was pretty exciting to see her passionate about something like a new car, especially at her age.

Although it's a few weeks past Mother's Day, still a fitting gift for her. Unfortunately, my own mother is deceased.
Old 05-27-15, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It might (?) have a little more spunk after the engine is fully broken in, although break-ins on modern engines are less needed than in the past..
Where does the new Toyota engine magically get more torque from after driving it a while?

The lack of spunk is from driving V8 with very good low end torque and going to a V6 which makes almost 50 lbs less of max torque at almost a 1000 RPM higher.
Old 05-27-15, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Where does the new Toyota engine magically get more torque from after driving it a while?

The lack of spunk is from driving V8 with very good low end torque and going to a V6 which makes almost 50 lbs less of max torque at almost a 1000 RPM higher.

Of course the average V6 will have less spunk, but I what was specifically referring to was the fact that some brand-new engines have tight tolerances from the assembly process right out of the factory. That can create a small amount of extra drag on the engine (usually only a few HP/torque worth, but sometimes noticeable). As the engine wears and breaks in, the tolerances ease up a little, and the engine spins a little easier...that makes slightly more power. It is also true that today's engines need less break-in than in the past, because of better quality control and production tolerances in the plants themselves. Some engines come from the plant virtually fully broken-in, they need so little. There is no way of knowing in advance exactly how much break-in your mom's new V6 will need, so that's why I said wait and see how it does after a few hundred miles.

Anyhow, that's a minor point. What matters is that she has (or will have) the vehicle she wants....congratulations to her, and I hope she enjoys it.