Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Lincoln is ready to toss the alphabet soup

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Many of us, including myself, balked when Lincoln announced more "MK" names three years ago. And now look at the news today.... they admit it's confusing. While anyone can take the time to memorize car names, it shouldn't have to take thought and time to do it. It's just another negative drop in the bucket when you are already suffering as a company and don't need more negatives. This is purely failed marketing, and I hope an example is made out of those product marketeers who checked off the project.

Next topic we'll discuss here years from now: "GM changes Chevy Bolt name to something customers can better separate from Chevy Volt."
So why exactly does Lincoln have both the MKZ and the MKS?
Old 04-26-15, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
At least on paper if not in fact, they are essentially FWD/AWD replacements for the old RWD LS and Town Car. However, one can argue that neither one has filed the role very well.
Old 04-27-15, 09:47 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

The MKZ (Zephyr), based on the Ford Fusion, is Lincoln's mid-size entry. As such, it would be expected to fill the high-volume (at least traditionally, before small entry-level sedans began selling in such large numbers) Executive car niche. Other executive cars are the Cadillac CTS / STS / Seville, Acura TL, Infiniti G, Lexus ES, Audi A6, and BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. (I will not get into a debate about Japanese FWD Executive cars vs traditional German RWD Executive cars.)

Executive cars have been aimed at successful professionals -- doctors, lawyers and real estate agents in North America -- and middle managers.

The MKS, based on the Ford Taurus, is Lincoln's full-size entry. As such, it would be expected to fill the Flagship car niche. Other full-size flagship cars are the Cadillac XTS / CT6, Acura RL / RLX, Infiniti Q (the original "Q"), Lexus LS, Audi A8, and BMW 7-series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. (Again, I will not get into a debate about Japanese FWD Flagship cars vs traditional German RWD Flagship cars.)

Flagships sell in much smaller numbers but are used as a showcase of what its manufacturers stands for and what it is capable of producing (especially in terms of modern technology).

For the longest time, luxury car makers may have had (and perhaps only needed) 2 main lines (plus variations) of vehicles: the volume Executive car, signifying that its buyers had become successful, and the expensive Flagship car, signifying that its buyers were the top people in their industries. These 2 lines still fill their niche, but volume now comes from smaller and/or less expensive Entry-Level cars.
Old 04-27-15, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The MKS, based on the Ford Taurus, is Lincoln's full-size entry. As such, it would be expected to fill the Flagship car niche. Other full-size flagship cars are the Cadillac XTS
Problem is.....except for the AWD option that their predecessors lacked, and the XTS's generally good interior, neither one really fulfills that role. Both, IMO, were a waste of time, resources, and money. That's why we're seeing the Continental Concept and the CT6.
Old 04-27-15, 11:19 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Problem is.....except for the AWD option that their predecessors lacked, and the XTS's generally good interior, neither one really fulfills that role. Both, IMO, were a waste of time, resources, and money. That's why we're seeing the Continental Concept and the CT6.

I merely described the niches that the MKZ and MKS fill. As I further added, I will not get into the He-said-She-said p*ssing match debate of whether or not they fill these roles well.