Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Easy or Hard is it to fix paint chips on a hood & bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 12:29 AM
Salted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Easy or Hard is it to fix paint chips on a hood & bumper?

So I'm considering buying a Moonlight Pearl '04 LS 430; but it has a bunch of paint chips on the hood and bumpers.

You can see pics here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8982171

Is this something I can just use touch up paint on, or will it not blend in right? Would a autobody / paint shop have to fix this? If so how much do you think it would cost? Is it a lot of work?

The car has my interest because it's only a couple hours away (not many used LS 430 show up here since the closest Lexus dealer is 2 hours away); and it's a 1 owner who didn't skimp on recommended services.

He was asking $15k but I think he'll move to $14.5k without hassle. Edmunds has it appraised at $13k for very good condition w/ those options. KBB is higher at around $16k. I've read through the "How much did you pay for your LS 430" thread and it seems a little high but not obscenely overpriced.

I'm wondering however if the paint chips should devalue the car lower than "very good condition" even though it seems mechanically sound. The bumper has already been repainted once 3 years ago according to the owner.
Old 04-02-15, 08:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Those paint chips are completely normal on a 11-12 year old car. You're not going to find a car that old without chips like that, unless you are VERY lucky.

As for touching them up, you can definitely touch them up...just understand that no touch-up is going to be perfect...especially on a light colored car. A dark car hides touched up chips, on a silver or white car they stand out. Thats the tradeoff, scratches and swirls don't show up on a light car, but chips do.

Even professionally done, you'll see the chips from close up. Only way to fix them 100% is to fully repaint the chipped panels.
Old 04-02-15, 08:49 AM
Salted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Those paint chips are completely normal on a 11-12 year old car. You're not going to find a car that old without chips like that, unless you are VERY lucky.

As for touching them up, you can definitely touch them up...just understand that no touch-up is going to be perfect...especially on a light colored car. A dark car hides touched up chips, on a silver or white car they stand out. Thats the tradeoff, scratches and swirls don't show up on a light car, but chips do.

Even professionally done, you'll see the chips from close up. Only way to fix them 100% is to fully repaint the chipped panels.
Thanks for the info SW13GS. If I buy the car do you think I should pick up some matching touch up paint from the dealer or is there a better way to do it (sans a big paint shop job)?
Old 04-02-15, 08:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I've found Lexus' touch up paint is good. Its a little thick. I like the consistency of the paint that comes with the kit you can buy at www.drcolorchip.com, but I have found their system and paint match not very good on light cars.

The other thing to remember, is the paint is 12 years old, fresh paint out of a touchup bottle isn't going to match that well.

Just have to set your expectations properly. Sometimes stuff like this looks better un-touched up quite frankly.
Old 04-02-15, 10:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would not say it is in very good/perfect condition with those rug stains, interior scuffs, and all those paint chips but that stuff would not stop me from wanting the car and can be fixed without too much money/effort. I would offer him 13.5 at first as is and mention it will likely cost 500-800 to get rid of those paint chips/respray the hood/bumper. Then offer 14 if he gets the chips taken care of. You should have no problem getting him down to at least 14.5 with all those noticeable paint chips and some of the interior issues like rug stains/scuffs, I would just factor in another $500 or so you are going to have to spend to take care of the chips if you are not happy with the results from touch up paint.

There are videos and DIY instructions for paint chips, you would tape around where you applied the touchup, put it in as level as you can, wait to dry, wet sand, polish if it is too think, clear, and then some more polishing. You can generally make them look pretty good but if you look for them you will see them.
Old 04-02-15, 11:59 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try something like Dr. Paintchip or one of those kits. It worked well for me on some smaller chips. It'll work well in the smaller round-ish chips, which it looks like are the majority of them. Maybe some compounding and conservative brushing of touch up paint on the larger scratches. On my S550, I used it and then a clear bra. Looks perfect.