Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lotus SUV

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 08:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
I think it's absurd to think the SUV market in China will keep growing forever. Petrol there is already over US$4 a gallon and most SUV drivers stick with smaller 2.0-2.5 L engines for fuel economy.
That is why it is planned as a hybrid. But I can see your point. SUVs (even Crossover SUVs) as we know them now will probably hit some limit and either become less popular or they will transform to be more fuel efficient, perhaps becoming closer (once again) to those dreaded station wagons.

It'll likely be powered by a Toyota engine, making it petrol-powered, and will have some form of electrification, Gales said. That's partly because the car isn't due until 2019 at which point most larger cars will be hybridized in some way.
Old 04-29-15, 10:21 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It would be funny if the Lotus SUV ends up being a lightened NX hybrid Toyota already supply engines to Lotus, they just might send over entire hybrid drivetrains too. I'm waiting for gas prices to go past $4 a gallon in the US, then we'll see these new SUV makers making a quick U-turn.