Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 06:33 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with this guy. Pretty much exactly why i sold my ducati. As my career took off, i had less and less time to enjoy it and it just collected dust in the garage. Thankfully i can atleast daily my aston to work since its plain black and doesnt get too much attention.
Old 12-10-14, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
I will have to say that the author of the article (while writing entertaining stories) wrote it just to draw attention and readers.
zactly.

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
I agree with this guy. Pretty much exactly why i sold my ducati. As my career took off, i had less and less time to enjoy it and it just collected dust in the garage.
yeah if you look at a $/hr of use (vs. time owned) it would be pretty amazing.

Originally Posted by author
But the simple truth is that I rarely have the chance to drive this car on the right road, on the right day. And it's an expensive toy to own for just a few glorious hours each month.
er yuup

but if you have a load of money and keep it to use as an occasional toy, go for it!
Old 12-10-14, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The guy is basically right. Most Ferraris are simply not intended for typical American urban or suburban driving conditions. If that's where you live and drive...then simply look at something else.
Old 12-11-14, 02:23 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'm surprised at all the negative comments in this thread. I always dreamt of owning a Ferrari, and I appreciate the point of view of someone who at one point was in the same shoes. If anything, I'd think I'd spring for an NSX given the opportunity. But I also think I fall into the category of those who would want to be in the car, as opposed to be seen in the car.
Also surprised by the negative comments. It's a matter of perspective and that's the point of the article. A lot of people made comments about the article writer not being rich enough or not living in a wealthy neighborhood or not buying a Ferrari for the attention. Those comments are completely irrelevant, because the point of the article was the ownership experience of a Ferrari by a person who isn't incredibly wealthy and isn't living in a wealthy neighborhood and isn't buying a Ferrari for the attention.

And IMO, a lot of what the article stated is pretty accurate. A lot of people harp on it for whatever reason, but he's gone out there and done it. If you've never done it, how do you know you won't feel the exact same way when you do?

Originally Posted by bagwell
pretty much given that a car like this would grab attention all over the place....but I can see where the guy is coming from....even in my silver C6 folks would bother me, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
I remember when I first got my IS-F and drove around Chicagoland, it would get a lot of negative attention from ricers and boy racers and a lot of BS like that. So multiply that by 10 and that's what you'll often get in an exotic. Don't get me wrong - the vast majority of people aren't a problem and I would say most drivers don't even notice exotics, thankfully - but you'll always have that negative attention. Just last week when I was driving the LFA I had some GT-R hounding me on the highway.

The problem is that for some unfortunate people, seeing an exotic (or even apparently my IS-F or your C6) confronts their insecurities. It's hard for me to understand - I mean, there are 7 billion people on this planet. There are always going to be people richer than me or who drive more expensive cars than I do, but I'd never waste my time feeling negatively about that and not being secure about myself. If not having a Ferrari is what makes someone feel bad about themselves, that's pretty sad if only because there's sure a lot of cheaper and better approaches to making someone feel secure.

That's why I actually believe that exotics often get more negative attention in wealthier areas, because of this insecurity. I already related on here how I was once driving on a highway in one of Houston's wealthiest areas and some guy in a Fisker Karma cut across several lanes including out to the exit lane and back onto the highway so he could try to cut me off. This is the kind of thing that makes reasonable people not want to buy exotics, and that's a shame for driving enthusiasts and the enthusiast community - and I think that's also one of the underlying themes of the OP article.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I have to disagree with this, at least with my experience. I have a buddy who at one time owned an R8 and an NSX, albeit the NSX had stock wheels. We would get way more attention in the R8 (people asking us if its a Ferrari lol), than the NSX. However, people asking about the NSX were generally real car people.
Agreed - a collector I knew in Houston told me his R8 got far more attention than any of his Ferrari vehicles. He told me people would follow him in his R8 on the road for miles, including one person who followed him all the way to his neighborhood. Creepy.