Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Roll Out Brand New Active Safety Package from 2015

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 08:37 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ahhhh got it, thanks spwolf!
Look forward to the package coming out
Old 12-05-14, 07:21 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it looks like they're using common components (radar, camera and sonar sensors) and building off multiple active safety systems to save cost (and so that they can offer it at a lower price to consumers) and I guess it must be compact and cheap enough to fit anything from a CT to LS.

spwolf, you're saying Toyota is going to have a similar package for their vehicles?
Old 12-05-14, 07:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
all of them are very limiting, and they are advancing quickly... Best system right now is Mercedes from this year that can detect pedestrians and brake at speeds of 72kmh, and cars 105kmh... new Toyota system does pedestrians at 80kmh, and unlimited speed for cars..

As to the IPA, they just announced brand new system, so I bet it is going to go into many cars. It can use brakes on its own now if needed and it can back into the spot. Uses same car systems as above.
Thanks! Yeah I guess they need to do another comparison test soon with the new systems! It's been difficult to keep up with all the new versions but I'm trying!

Interesting. I have my doubts about them offering IPA in NA again. I know Ford does offer it as a la carte on a number of their vehicles (Espace, Fusion etc). I'm wondering if the system works if the bumper is hit. For example, my Pre-Support System is slightly crooked with back-in mode because someone side-swiped my rear bumper so it's not quite straight (it's barely a cm off) but it's enough to mess up the Pre-Support System. Pre-Support parallel parking works fine and "manual" input for back-in also works fine so I never bothered to get the dealer to recalibrate (even though they offered to do it for free).
Old 12-06-14, 07:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks! Yeah I guess they need to do another comparison test soon with the new systems! It's been difficult to keep up with all the new versions but I'm trying!

Interesting. I have my doubts about them offering IPA in NA again. I know Ford does offer it as a la carte on a number of their vehicles (Espace, Fusion etc). I'm wondering if the system works if the bumper is hit. For example, my Pre-Support System is slightly crooked with back-in mode because someone side-swiped my rear bumper so it's not quite straight (it's barely a cm off) but it's enough to mess up the Pre-Support System. Pre-Support parallel parking works fine and "manual" input for back-in also works fine so I never bothered to get the dealer to recalibrate (even though they offered to do it for free).
new one has lidar system that is used for pre-crash as well, not working on parking sensors i think...in any case, of course you gotta repair the car :P

EuroNCAP has a lot of good tests now, and it is best to look at testing PDF to see the differences. They also have videos, but they are not consistent (they show different speeds for different cars). For instance, NX300h test has "old" (but new for this year) Lexus system that scores as advanced, but works 30-70kmh - while new system works 10-80-unlimited. Compared to MB's latest system, it does not work under 30 of course, but it works better at 70 when car is braking in front.

So it is really not clear cut at all, but in any case, it is advancing and next year systems should be not only good but cheap too. Thats the key - low price.

For instance, Nissan system that Big Andy was talking about is pretty affordable also even now, but it only has camera, no radar, so its stopping capabilities are limited and scores less on EuroNCAP. Of course, still good for the price today.

In any case, it seems there are big differences in how all of them actually work in real life, despite the specs or cool PR... thankfully now we have 3 international testing companies that test these and we can look at them to see actual performance - IIHS, EuroNCAP and Japanese NCAP (whatever the name is).
Old 12-06-14, 12:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
IIHS, EuroNCAP and Japanese NCAP (whatever the name is).
Yup JNCAP

Here's a full list of programs under Global NCAP
http://www.globalncap.org/jncap/

ANCAP - Australian NCAP
KNCAP - Korean NCAP

The ASEAN NCAP, LATIN NCAP and C-NCAP (for Mainland China) are useless so those programs are not reliable indicators for vehicle safety standards.