Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What to purchase to fix up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 03:49 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to purchase to fix up?

I am looking to purchase a used car for fun as a project to fix up and perhaps modify it in the process. I do not have a set budget, but I would like to stay under 10k for the initial purchase. The cheaper the better since I do not know how long it will take. I do plan to purchase a high-end sports car in about a years time (maybe a AM vantage V8 or a 997 turbo, so I do not want it to end up as a money pit.

I have seen many 986 Porsche boxsters for dirt cheap but not many s models in manual for the same range, which is really what I would prefer. I read that you can find a 996 911 with damaged engines for 5k, but I have not had any luck locating one. I am wondering what other cars might be worth fixing up. I am leaning towards European cars since I have plenty of Japanese cars and Japanese cars usually do not need much work on them in the first place.

I thought about a high mileage 2006+ BMW M5 (found one in my area for 14k, but it needed a bunch of sensors replaced, rotors, clutch replaced, and immediate engine repairs) ,but from what I read rebuilding the engine seems to be a daunting process compared to many other cars.
Old 11-28-14, 10:03 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your 10k and put it towards a V8 Vantage
Old 11-28-14, 10:25 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want performance and want to stay under 10k, and asking on a lexus site, then your options are really only the IS300 as well as the SC300. Both those lexus cars came with the 2JZ engine and if you go on youtube, you can see the potential of those engines.

Any car you get is going to be a money pit. A 968 and 996 are going to be a far bigger money pit from my experience. You can usually find the crashed cars for cheap of thats what you were referring to.They are amazing cars but aftermarket support for power and handling isnt going to be cheap. My friends race in PCA with 944's so if you look into that, that is an awesome SUB 10k car with a massive amount of potential. My buddy van has 4 944 race cars all obtained pulled out of somebody's woods, or forgotten garage

If you are really looking at ANY SUB 10k Sports car, my first go to would be Honda S2000. Those cars are basically indestructible from my experience. The honda 4 bangers arent gonna go away anytime soon. Next you got your 350z which my friend owns one, its a decent car with plenty of power out the box. My friend has the enthusiast edition which I think had zero options, blank doors but as light as a civic DX. BMW M3 (e36), boxter, a birage of muscle cars which the old FoxBody Mustangs are Awesome OOTB Drift cars. Also people sleep on the MX-5 Miata but they are really nice really fast little machines. Maybe not in a straight line but track wise, there is a huge demand in MX-5 Racing

It all depends on what route you want to head in. Race Car, Drift Car, Sunday Driver Sports Car. Also depends on how much power you want to put down. Inline 4, Inline 6 and V8's are really where you will find decent power plants.

Last edited by NYKnick101; 11-28-14 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-28-14, 10:48 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fact of the matter is that most european cars are built under the planned obsolescence idea of ~10 years. Unless you happen to find one kept considerably well they are going to be more than likely a large money pit. Look at even the 08 Bmw 7 series. They are going for ~15-18k because people know they are money pits.

Heres the thing, unless you find an incredibly good car for a good deal in a small time frame its just not worth it. You'll probably spend 3-4 months finding a good car if one even comes up for sale and then start throwing money and time into it. After fixing it up which I assume will take you a couple more months itll be 1/2 a year. Then you'll have to sell it for a loss in another half a year and go through the trouble of finding a buyer. Im with GQD on just saving the money and hassle and just using the money for your next purchase.
Old 11-28-14, 11:00 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

European, under 10k, fun, project car...I would choose either the 986 Boxster or E36 M3. My wife would add the Audi TT on to the list.
Old 11-28-14, 11:25 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
If you want performance and want to stay under 10k, and asking on a lexus site, then your options are really only the IS300 as well as the SC300. Both those lexus cars came with the 2JZ engine and if you go on youtube, you can see the potential of those engines.

Any car you get is going to be a money pit. A 968 and 996 are going to be a far bigger money pit from my experience. You can usually find the crashed cars for cheap of thats what you were referring to.They are amazing cars but aftermarket support for power and handling isnt going to be cheap. My friends race in PCA with 944's so if you look into that, that is an awesome SUB 10k car with a massive amount of potential. My buddy van has 4 944 race cars all obtained pulled out of somebody's woods, or forgotten garage

If you are really looking at ANY SUB 10k Sports car, my first go to would be Honda S2000. Those cars are basically indestructible from my experience. The honda 4 bangers arent gonna go away anytime soon. Next you got your 350z which my friend owns one, its a decent car with plenty of power out the box. My friend has the enthusiast edition which I think had zero options, blank doors but as light as a civic DX. BMW M3 (e36), boxter, a birage of muscle cars which the old FoxBody Mustangs are Awesome OOTB Drift cars. Also people sleep on the MX-5 Miata but they are really nice really fast little machines. Maybe not in a straight line but track wise, there is a huge demand in MX-5 Racing

It all depends on what route you want to head in. Race Car, Drift Car, Sunday Driver Sports Car. Also depends on how much power you want to put down. Inline 4, Inline 6 and V8's are really where you will find decent power plants.
I already own a S2000. I know it is indestructible, but I want something that needs a little work. I have began looking into the 944s.
Old 11-28-14, 11:27 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xanderES
Fact of the matter is that most european cars are built under the planned obsolescence idea of ~10 years. Unless you happen to find one kept considerably well they are going to be more than likely a large money pit. Look at even the 08 Bmw 7 series. They are going for ~15-18k because people know they are money pits.

Heres the thing, unless you find an incredibly good car for a good deal in a small time frame its just not worth it. You'll probably spend 3-4 months finding a good car if one even comes up for sale and then start throwing money and time into it. After fixing it up which I assume will take you a couple more months itll be 1/2 a year. Then you'll have to sell it for a loss in another half a year and go through the trouble of finding a buyer. Im with GQD on just saving the money and hassle and just using the money for your next purchase.
I do not plan to sell whatever car I get. I plan to keep it. I have room to store all my cars.
Old 11-28-14, 11:28 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pvmike1
European, under 10k, fun, project car...I would choose either the 986 Boxster or E36 M3. My wife would add the Audi TT on to the list.
I have thought about the newer m3, but I will take a look into the E36.
Old 11-28-14, 11:44 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that case ill suggest a Nissan 300zx twin turbo. Its probably a lot older than what you were thinking but its a pretty great looking and performing car. Most will need work because of the seals breaking down after all this time but there is A LOT of potential in the cars. 300 hp for manuals and the ability to be easily making 400whp with ~3k and a boost controller/tune. The cars sell for about 5-6k for a good condition and ~100-140k mileage late 90-95, We're also lucky enough to have the best tuner in the nation over at Specialty Z in chatsworth.
Just make sure you have documentation of the 60/120k maintenance and get a compression test on the engine so you wont have to rebuild it. They're extremely complex for a 90's car so itll keep you busy also.