Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For a few days I have the new Mercedes C250

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 09:01 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A small area of concern for me in the long term is the area around the door frame. Mercedes decided to put a cloth like seal on the inside door frame while having a rubber on the outer door. Now for me that's not an issue as I always wipe the rubber surround throughout the entire car that invariably traps dirt & moisture. Part of the detail. However for those of you that don't this "could" lead to moisture transfer to that cloth type area & trap unwanted dirt in there. Perhaps its made of waterproof material.
Attached Thumbnails For a few days I have the new Mercedes C250-img_20140927_192810_652.jpg  
Old 09-28-14, 02:13 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually had a drive in the 2010 C250 before my IS350 and all I can say is that the IS350 is better than the C250 in every conceivable category.
Old 09-28-14, 02:19 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
A small area of concern for me in the long term is the area around the door frame. Mercedes decided to put a cloth like seal on the inside door frame while having a rubber on the outer door. Now for me that's not an issue as I always wipe the rubber surround throughout the entire car that invariably traps dirt & moisture. Part of the detail. However for those of you that don't this "could" lead to moisture transfer to that cloth type area & trap unwanted dirt in there. Perhaps its made of waterproof material.
The roof liner of the Merc is nasty.

Especially when compared to the velvety smooth material used by Lexus
Old 09-28-14, 10:34 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ Mercedes interiors have always been durable. The felt liner in the Lexus cars will not hold up as well as the harder fabric used in the C class if you ever need to clean it or have stains. You can recondition the interior of the C like it just came out of the factory. The plastics do not scratch or have permanent marks at all. A simple towel with water will erase everything and anything. On the contrary, the bottom part of the interior doors of Lexus cars will get scratches from shoes and they are impossible to remove
Old 09-28-14, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

One of the guys that works for me has that generation C300 4Matic. Its a very nice little car, rides great, smooth and quiet, comfortable. Way too small for me, but he really likes it.
Old 09-28-14, 02:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Had to give the car a good soap bath as there is nothing like bubbles & coffee in the early am.
you clean a loaner?
Old 09-28-14, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you clean a loaner?
I was gonna leave that one alone lol
Old 09-28-14, 03:01 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

you clean a loaner?
Lol!! What can I say? I'm old school. Be it a wheel barrow, tools, or a car I was taught you always return something borrowed clean. I know, I know. Besides it rained here couple days ago and boy did the road dirt really plaster itself to the white exterior. Can't stand dirty cars in my garage. Really I can't. Especially when your going out to eat and have to move between two cars and your nice slacks or your wife's nice dress invariably brushes up against either car. Grrr.
Old 09-28-14, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm insane about clean cars. I dust them off every night, and get them washed sometimes 2-3 times a week if its rainy. But even I have never washed a loaner car
Old 09-28-14, 03:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Lol!! What can I say? I'm old school. Be it a wheel barrow, tools, or a car I was taught you always return something borrowed clean. I know, I know. Besides it rained here couple days ago and boy did the road dirt really plaster itself to the white exterior. Can't stand dirty cars in my garage. Really I can't. Especially when your going out to eat and have to move between two cars and your nice slacks or your wife's nice dress invariably brushes up against either car. Grrr.
You are a good man. My cars pine for an owner like you. None of my have received washes since late June. I'm a little embarrassed, I think I'm going to get them washed this week.
Old 09-28-14, 03:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

but isn't a free car wash with a tank of gas a bit easier than DIY?
Old 09-28-14, 08:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm insane about clean cars. I dust them off every night, and get them washed sometimes 2-3 times a week if its rainy. But even I have never washed a loaner car
If it was a rental, no. However seeing that Mercedes Benz of Rocklin was courteous enough to loan my wife a new car with only several hundred miles on it I'm going to take car of it
I think living in this throw away society has become detrimental to our way of thinking and how we approach people and view the world around us. We've become an "entitled" society. I'll stop there. Anywho, the staff there at MBR were amazing (also they are working on our RX) so courtesy flows both ways

but isn't a free car wash with a tank of gas a bit easier than DIY?
Yes it is! But, but, but, arghhh! I washed my car first then the detail bug got into me.:P I thought heck since I'm out here anyway might as well do something. That coffee had me BUZZING like a nest of bee's. After that was three hours work on the yard . Then I was the worlds greatest sloth. I crashed hard for thirty minutes. Lol. I was like that squirrel in Over the Hedge kids movie.

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ Mercedes interiors have always been durable. The felt liner in the Lexus cars will not hold up as well as the harder fabric used in the C class if you ever need to clean it or have stains. You can recondition the interior of the C like it just came out of the factory. The plastics do not scratch or have permanent marks at all. A simple towel with water will erase everything and anything. On the contrary, the bottom part of the interior doors of Lexus cars will get scratches from shoes and they are impossible to remove
Bring up a good point. I found this to be true also. So next time I'll put my detailer cap on and find a solution to it. There HAS to be a way. 4000 grit sandpaper then Surf wax?

Last edited by rxonmymind; 09-28-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 09:35 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by yowps3
The roof liner of the Merc is nasty.

Especially when compared to the velvety smooth material used by Lexus
Yup my alcantara headlner is garbage
Old 09-29-14, 09:37 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Don't do that, thats how you scratch your clear coat.
Old 09-29-14, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doge
Don't do that, thats how you scratch your clear coat.
I've detailed cars for 17-18 years, a few of those years professionally. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Dusters are fine as long as you use them properly and know when they can be used and when they can't be used. After driving around on a sunny day for a few hours...a duster is fine. A few days, a week, rain drizzle, not fine.