Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I fell in love with the 2014 Mazda 6 manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-14, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Smile I fell in love with the 2014 Mazda 6 manual

We have all read and heard the very solid reviews of the new Mazda 6 and I've been a big big fan of the car for sometime, especially the new generation. There is no denying the sexiness of the exterior and overall fantastic proportions. It simply looks like a more expensive car than it is. People love good looking cars and the 6 will sell better just on this merit alone. The paint seemed solid and well done in its gray tone.

The interior is also very well done, yes the info/NAV screen is small but its not a deal breaker. There is ample room front and rear and a high quality feel to most of the materials. The **** on the the console reminds me of a German car. I was impressed considering this cars price point.

The reverse gear is next to 1st, to engage it you have to push down on the shift ****. Pretty cool.

I drove a Mazda 6 Manual Touring

184-hp, 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
SKYACTIV-MT 6-Speed manual transmission
EPA-estimated mileage city/highway (mpg): 25/37†
Halogen headlights with auto off
Halogen daytime running lights
Variable-intermittent windshield wipers
Dual power side mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators
17-inch alloy wheels
Air conditioning with pollen filter
Power windows with one-touch auto up/down feature
Power door locks
Cruise control
Remote keyless entry with retractable key
Push button start
Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
60/40 split fold-down rear seatback
AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with 6 speakers
Steering-wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls
Carpet floor mats
Advanced front air bags, front side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains‡
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)** & Traction Control System (TCS)

MAZDA6 Touring
184-hp, 2.5L SKYACTIV-G DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder engine with VVT
SKYACTIV-MT 6-Speed manual transmission
EPA-estimated mileage city/highway (mpg): 25/37†
In addition to Sport features:
Dual-zone automatic climate control
19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
6-way power driver's seat
Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry
Multi-function Commander control
Rear seat heat and A/C vents
Leatherette-trimmed seats
Blind Spot Monitoring System††
Rear Cross Traffic Alert††
I think Mazda like some Lexus cars has perfected a great balance with this chassis with the engine fitting perfectly. Would more power be nice? It always sounds good but the current Skyactiv/manual/chassis combo is sublime. The chassis is utterly amazing at this price point, it drives like a more expensive car. Even with huge 19s and low profile tires the 6 soaks up bumps in the road with no issue. Since this car does not have 275hp or so there is no annoying torque steer or the shouting feeling that this is a FWD car. The manual engages smoothly with a very smooth and light clutch. The steering wheel fits nice in your hands.

This is one of those cars that has that "soul" to me with the manual. I was stunned at how much I liked driving it around. Sure it might lack some tech but for under 25k, I cannot think of a better sedan to get. The 6 put a grin on my face even though it might lack more power compared to some V-6 competition. Whereas it seems the rest of the competition looks nice but drives blah, the 6 looks nice and drives even nicer. It is a drivers car, it is interesting, it makes you want to do things you shouldn't do.

Well done Mazda.

Old 07-01-14, 09:29 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Great review. The Mazda 6 always catches my eye when I see it driving the other way. I love the front end. Did the engine like to rev?

I sometimes wonder how this model would stack up to an Accord Sport. Cool way to add some fun to your family sedan.

Originally Posted by LexFather
The reverse gear is next to 1st, to engage it you have to push down on the shift ****. Pretty cool.
Sounds like my MKIV Jetta from back in the day.
Old 07-01-14, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

By mid-sized sedan standards, the new Mazda6 is large. If you are used to driving Lexus GS and LS products, Mike, the 6 shouldn't be that much of a letdown (no pun intended), size-wise. However, don't expect the kind of refinement and noise-control that you are used to with the GS and LS, either.....the 6 is designed primarily for handling and responsiveness, not ultimate comfort. That's why, for years, Mazda vehicles and their "Kansai" engineering (I don't know who came up with this silly "Zoom-Zoom" stuff) were known as the "Poor Man's BMW".....I owned three Mazda sedans myself in the 80s and early 90s. In fact, given what has happened to some recent BMW products and their steering/chassis, I'd probably rather drive a 6 myself.

You state that the 19s and rubber-band tires soaked up bumps with no problem. Was it a truly bumpy road, or just some minor things like expansion-joints and manhole covers? The Atlanta area usually doesn't get very severe winters with a lot of freeze/thaw on the roads, but it did this year to some extent. Some low-profiles feel fairly comfortable on relatively smooth roads....but then get them on some winter-ravaged roads with potholes and frost-heaves and they show their true colors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-01-14 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 09:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the Mazda6 Mike. I cannot wait to sample the diesel variant
Old 07-01-14, 10:32 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

when I had my 2003 Mazda6 stick with 18" wheels, the steering feel was like a BMW 335i in city driving conditions. Most people laugh when I make that comparison, but that is the truth. Mazda knows the importance of steering feel and does the most honest job on it.
Old 07-01-14, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
when I had my 2003 Mazda6 stick with 18" wheels, the steering feel was like a BMW 335i in city driving conditions. Most people laugh when I make that comparison, but that is the truth. Mazda knows the importance of steering feel and does the most honest job on it.
You're correct. The "Poor Man's BMW" and "Kanzai Engineering" badges didn't just come out of nowhere. Wish I could say the same for the silly "Zoom-Zoom" slogan.
Old 07-01-14, 11:07 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 6's interior looks a ton like Audi. Which I don't mind, and think is a great thing.

Mazda 6

Audi A4

I really hope they produce a MazdaSpeed 6 variant with AWD. If they can price it ~$30k, it'll blow away the rest of the market.
Old 07-01-14, 11:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In town I've seen a deep crystal blue w/light tan interior many times.The color works well.The 6 looks great.
The only turnoffs for me are no 6 cyl and AWD.
Old 07-01-14, 12:05 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Glad you enjoyed the Mazda6 Mike. I cannot wait to sample the diesel variant

How many times has that been delayed now?

Old 07-01-14, 02:37 PM
JM51526
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mazda's current exterior designs are excellent - downright beautiful.
Old 07-01-14, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

if you sit in them, it does look euro-like, but really nothing like audi... that nav is worst part of the interior, everything else is fine.
Old 07-01-14, 05:04 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Love the paint depth/quality and exterior design, but just a tad too big on the exterior. Interior is ok for me, but I'm not crazy about all-black "teutonic-like" dashboards, aka Audi and somewhat BMW, which is also why I'm not crazy about Audi interiors. But I can imagine how much fun to drive the 6 is, and a manual? Wow.
Old 07-01-14, 05:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
How many times has that been delayed now?

Right! A recent article was posted stating they wanted to make sure they worked out any issues - or basically it's not ready yet . For what it's worth Mazda ran two at Thunderhill so good to see some performance testing
Old 07-01-14, 05:58 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I like about the RX-8 is it enabled a really nice ride with it's excellent handling.

Not much a fan of it other than that especially since the RX-7

I've heard a lot of similar praise for the 6 from friends and reading reviews.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You state that the 19s and rubber-band tires soaked up bumps with no problem. Was it a truly bumpy road, or just some minor things like expansion-joints and manhole covers?
My current G37xS coupe has 19's and take alot of NJ annihilated roads quite surprisingly well. Compared to my E90 325i which sounded like Bomb blasts / felt like them too! on the same roads. I'm quite confident the 19's on the 6 with it's suspension will be ok.

I'm intrigued to see the diesel version also and how it compares.

I've been telling a family member to seriously consider it when their '12 Camry lease is up later this year. Hell, i may even consider it for myself it's so nice.