Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM app lets you scan a license plate, then text the driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 04:01 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default GM app lets you scan a license plate, then text the driver

Even if the other driver hasn't signed up for the service, he can still receive messages

DETROIT -- Creating mobile car apps for China has its share of challenges, as John Du well knows.

Du, director of GM's China R&D Division, has to deal with a street address system that has no format, and with nearly a dozen language dialects, voice recognition technology takes on a whole new meaning.

Speaking at the Telematics Detroit 2014 conference here, Du revealed a mobile apps market that makes the U.S. pale in comparison.

When it comes to social networking apps, China has the equivalent of those in the West. There's Weibo, a microblogging service with more than 505 million users. Weichat is China's biggest messaging platform with a billion users. And, then there's Baidu's navigation app that has 300 million subscribers.

So with all those connected Chinese, Du figured why not an app that would allow them to simply scan a license plate in front of them in order to connect to the owner's cell phone.

The prototype app, called DiDi Plate, uses an Android phone's camera to scan the plate and send it to a cloud ID service. The driver who scanned the plate can then start texting the other driver.

"Even if the other driver didn't register this app, you can still give them greetings and comments," Du said.

After scanning the license plate of the woman in front of him, her profile pops up on his smartphone screen. The driver can then message the woman, asking her for a date.

Excited to be messaged by the man behind her, the female driver readily accepts the invitation.

In a video demonstrating the product, a male driver uses DiDi Plate to scan and then message a woman driving in front of him. He asks her for a date, which she quickly accepts.

In another scenario, a woman's car is blocked in a parking lot, so she scans the plate of the car that boxed her in and tells the driver to move the vehicle.

Other creative uses: Message people to tell them they're terrible drivers.

Dus team even adapted the app to work with Google Glass. Just stare at the plate and it scans it and brings up the persons online profile.

While in the U.S. the ACLU would likely have a field day with DiDi Plate, the legal quagmire in China may not be as quite a deep.

Du, however, said the main stumbling block in moving from prototype to production is that GM wants apps that are embedded in the car's infotainment system, so an app that exists only on as a smartphone download may never see the light of day.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...ext_the_driver
Old 06-13-14, 04:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Excited to be messaged by the man behind her, the female driver readily accepts the invitation.
Yeah...no, that's how women will end up dead on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
Old 06-13-14, 04:16 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a horrible idea, with huge potential for abuse.

I would never want to give random people a way to connect to me personally. People will now be able to spam other drivers for any reason.
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Yeah...no, that's how women will end up dead on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
+1......stupid idea.
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

That's just what we need.........MORE texting behind the wheel.
Old 06-13-14, 05:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 885 Likes on 614 Posts

This is a scary can of technology worms to open.
Old 06-13-14, 05:54 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm...no thanks. People should just focus on driving damn it!
Old 06-13-14, 05:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

This has to be the lamest and probably one of the more dangerous things I have seen from any car manufacturer.

LOL texting someone to tell them your car is blocking them....more like some psycho texting you because he didnt like the way you cut him off . I am in disbelief...
Old 06-13-14, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

There is potential for good and good intentions but obviously there are two sides to every story and this could turn south almost instantly