Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Lincoln MKC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-14, 07:49 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Roger: How was the test drive (power, ride comfort/handling, engine smoothness, and NVH)? I'm expecting this to be good to very good...
First off what is NVH? I've seen this used here a lot but haven't figured it out.

Second, my test drive was marred by a near disaster. The dealership is located in a part of the City I never frequent so I'm not familiar with the roads. The salesman had to tell every turn to make but then took me into a round-about. I hate those because most people don't know how to drive them. We were close to having a tee bone but I was able to panic stop before any collision by slamming on the brakes. The salesman said at least you know how well the brakes work.
The other thing that tainted my drive was that I saw the car had 19" tires and wheels which I don't like. They must have been inflated to the max because I could feel all the bumps in the road. I wish we would get off the oversized tires kick.
Anyway besides those distractions the MKC was decent for it's size, nothing exceptional to write about though. I don't think it was as comfortable as my CT, but of course more powerful, but 0-60 times aren't my thing. The deal killer for me is the lack of rear seat legroom and cargo space width.
Old 07-22-14, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

NVH refers to noise, vibration & harshness...

You mentioned encountering roundabouts. We encountered them in The Villages in central Florida.
Old 07-22-14, 05:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

good catches on the uneven/unequal fit gaps and the sharp metal protrusion, that's pretty weak on lincoln's part.
Old 07-22-14, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good catches on the uneven/unequal fit gaps and the sharp metal protrusion, that's pretty weak on lincoln's part.
That happens occasionally, even on the best of cars. About 8 or 9 years ago, I cut my finger on a very sharp piece of metal near the hood latch of a new Honda Fit while trying to unlatch it by feel. A couple of minutes of pressure to lessen the bleeding, wash it out in the men's room, a nice little butterfly bandage from the dealer's first-aid kit, and then on with the review.

I DID mention it to the service-manager there, though, so they could repair it so some unsuspecting customer didn't do the same thing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-22-14 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
We had a 328i from across the street over on our side for a IS/GS training class next to an IS today. 3-Series had bad panel and hood gaps
Old 07-22-14, 06:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Yeah, since I'm OCD on fit + finish, I went looking for defects in the MKC and found numerous, even more than I posted pics on. No brand is 100% perfect, even Lexus (and I will be the first to admit it), but where Lexus might have one or two fit issues per car, it is much less obvious and no where near the multiple defects from other brands. My "fear" with the visible quality issues with the MKC on a 55K (Cdn) car is how bad is the precision on what you don't see like engine internals, and other major components... ??? Hmmm.... Ecoboost issues with the 1.6, 3.5L, and my friend's Boss 302 with only 1500 km, is getting his 5.0 engine half replaced because of misaligned cylinders making a ticking sound. It was misaligned by fractions, but enough to cause the issue and get his bottom engine block replaced. What a bummer since he's now concerned his limited edition Mustang is no longer collector worthy (or less so now) since the engine is no longer original.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-22-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-22-14, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What a bummer since he's now concerned his limited edition Mustang is no longer collector worthy (or less so now) since the engine is no longer original.
Warranty-replacement of original-spec factory parts (even an engine) shouldn't alter its collector-status. It will still have the same engine it is supposed to.
Old 08-01-14, 08:34 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

I was able to drive one this week. In the US, Lincoln has a "date night" program; get the car for 3 days and a $100.00 voucher for dinner. So I dialed up the Lincoln Concierge and asked for the same. We don't get that here; insurance reasons as in go for dinner, get hammered smash up the car/injure someone and it gets ugly.

However, was able to take an MKC for an overnight drive. Picked it up Tuesday at noon and dropped it off Wednesday after work. Took the opportunity to get a few things looked at in my '13 Focus daily driver at the same store. Well, I will not be buying one; not necessarily because of the car, but because of the poor dealership experience. Compared to Lexus and even Toyota, at least around here, Lincoln/Ford leaves a LOT to be desired. I have family at the plant where the Edge/MKX/Flex/MKT are built so I get the boffo deal and if possible want to support the company, hence the daily driver. But my experience with 2 dealerships now around here; both Ford/Lincoln will keep me from buying one.

On to the test drive;

So we had a Reserve edition, loaded to the gunnels, dark grey with black interior. Sticker was over $54K CDN. As most of the very gory details were described in earlier posts, I'll focus on the drive and add a few bits on finish. In general, the drive was pretty good. However, lots of road noise at all speeds and surfaces. We took it out on a highway near here with some steep hills. I wanted to see how passing power was with a 4 banger. Can say not that great. Was passing 2 cars up a hill and had to duck in behind the first. Would have made both with our RX. Power seemed to fade as I got higher in the rev range. Otherwise, power feels adequate for normal driving. Engine vibration at idle is almost imperceptible; wish it was that way in the Focus. Noticed no turbo lag or torque steer. Power came on smooth and pretty hard when pushed at city speeds. No issues on the highway save for that passing experience. Note posted speed was 100 KM/Hr (60 MPH) 2 lane road to Bragg Creek, in case you're wondering (22X). Wife drove it as well and she noted the location of the GPS screen is lower than in the Lexus. It's below the air vents. Forces one to look away from the road; not the best. Close at hand if you want to touch the screen. though. I am accustomed to MFT (MLT in this one) and know how to use the voice commands. But the buttons are different and the talk button is small and buried in a panel on the right side of the steering wheel. Makes you look for it, defeating the purpose. On mine, I have a paddle that is easy to find without looking. The finish on the buttons on that center stack was a little cheap looking/feeling as well. The push button shift idea is great; why take up console space with a shifter? Although first reaction when backing out of the driveway was to reach for a shifter! And shifting from park to drive; all the "gears" in-between light up in sequence. Great leg room on the right side; was able to let my right knee float freely, no shifters or brake handles in the way. Lots of nice little touches like this throughout. However the cross section shape and texture of the steering wheel was sub par; nothing like a wood wheel. The mirrors don't tilt in reverse and the powered steering wheel didn't go to a home position. Could be that I didn't have that programmed properly, though. As for the trim/plastics. I noted some flash edges on the vent grills at the front of the dash. Also, lots of different heights for the top of the dash. Speakers are raised; just looks like things were added on; lots of unnecessary detail. Agree the seat cushions are too short. Apparently late in the model year massage seats will be available. Wife absolutely hates the wood inserts; looks unfinished! In my Focus, resting my left foot on the dead pedal puts my thigh on the seat bolster which is less than comfortable. Did notice a bit of that on this one as well, but not as "sharp" as the Focus seat, though.

Cornering was pretty good; did some spirited ramp runs and it felt pretty solid and flat. The drive on my usual route to work was pretty good. Absorbed the ruts/bumps/road imperfections well without much noise, except for the tire noise mentioned earlier.

However, and this is the biggy, mileage sucks! Indicator showed 11.4 L/100 KMs; about 20.4 MPG on my drive. I reset it when I picked it up so that was over about 100KMs (60 miles) and about 50/50 city/highway. Granted this is a new vehicle (50 ish KMs when I picked it up). I deliberately didn't go nuts with the acceleration; tried to drive as normal, but the turbo was active and it showed in the mileage rating. This is a fear of mine with the NX as well. One would expect the 4 cylinder to be frugal but I think in daily use, the mileage will be essentially the same as a V6. Begs the question what's the benefit?

So, for me; if I were to buy today, I'd choose a '15 RX 350 with the touring package. May wait for the '16 RX. It appears the size will stay largely the same as there is talk of a TX for the 3rd row seating version, which would be just too big for us. The '15 RX is just about the same price as the MKC (retail) and has most of the necessary goodies. Also, know that I will have a MUCH better dealership and ownership experience. Am concerned about value as well. My 2009 RX is still worth about 40% of what I paid. Highly doubt the Lincoln will hold it's value that well.

Old 08-01-14, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

However, lots of road noise at all speeds and surfaces.
that's a deal breaker for me... first i'd heard of that.

about the turbo and lack of passing, that's likely due to highway gearing so they can get better figures, but yeah, we all know turbos are fuel suckers... turbo 4's are just no substitute for a 6.
Old 08-01-14, 10:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I suppose it's what one is used to. A couple of the early reviews that I read commented on a quiet cabin in the MKC.
Old 08-29-14, 06:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strong Demand for Lincoln MKC Brings $129 Million Investment and 300 Jobs to Louisville Plant

The commercial success of the Lincoln MKC has led Ford to hire 300 new employees and make a $129 million investment in the Louisville assembly plant. The factory began building the 2015 MKC in May and is ramping up production to meet increasing demand.

In 2010, Ford invested $600 million in the Louisville plant to transform it into a modern, flexible facility with tooling and facility upgrades in its final assembly area and body shop. The plant is now able to build multiple vehicle models at the same time, without requiring downtime for tooling changeover.

“The UAW and Ford remain steadfast in our commitment to Louisville with the addition of Lincoln MKC to Louisville Assembly Plant’s production line,” said Jimmy Settles, UAW vice president, National Ford Department. “The 300 new jobs add to the plant’s 4,600 UAW team members – a fantastic feat enabled through the collective bargaining between the UAW and Ford to support U.S. manufacturing,” he added.

With the addition of the 300 employees, Ford is closing in on its goal of creating 12,000 hourly jobs in the United States by 2015. The automaker says the new $129 million investment is also helping to support more than 110 suppliers across the United States, including 17 in the commonwealth of Kentucky.

The second of four all-new Lincoln vehicles that will be introduced by 2016, the MKC crossover will go on sale in China when the brand debuts there later this year. From May through July, Lincoln sold 2,895 MKC crossovers.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/str...kc-brings.html
Old 08-29-14, 06:34 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lincoln MKC Review - Video

Lincoln’s Latest is Legit

Lincoln needs the MKC to be a hit. The company desperately wants to shake its image as a manufacturer of stodgy sedans and mammoth SUVs. The MKZ sedan was supposed to be the first step in a brand reinvention targeting younger, more diverse customers (i.e. import buyers), but things aren’t going according to plan.

FAST FACTS
  • Engines: 2.0L turbo four-cylinder with 240 hp, 270 lb-ft of torque. 2.3L turbo four-cylinder with 285 hp, 305 lb-ft.
  • Transmission: Six-speed automatic.
  • Fuel economy: 2.0L FWD rated at 20/29 MPG city/highway. 2.3L AWD rated at 18/26 MPG city/highway.
  • Price: Premiere 2.0 L FWD starts at $33,995 after destination charges. Reserve 2.3L AWD costs $44,565.

With the compact crossover market red-hot right now, it makes sense that Lincoln chose this segment for its next premium import fighter. Keeping with current Lincoln tradition, the MKC is based on a Ford platform, the Escape in this case. Lincoln’s engineers wanted to differentiate the MKC from its Ford sibling and gave it a wider stance thanks to an increase of almost an inch in both the front and rear tracks. This not only gives the vehicle a more aggressive, well-proportioned stance, it also helps with driving dynamics.

Escaping the Badge Engineering Reputation

Style-wise the MKC couldn’t be any more Lincoln and aside from a large front overhang, looks nothing like the Escape. Up front is a split-wing grille that leads into a pair of Germanesque headlights. The rear of the MKC features a wraparound liftgate that uses Ford’s foot waving, hands-free accessibility technology. As is all the rage these days, the MKC has LED mirror mounted projectors that project the Lincoln logo onto the ground when you approach the vehicle.

Inside, the MKC continues the same Lincoln design theme found in the MKZ. The dashboard is swathed in a soft, rubbery plastic housing a slanted MyLincoln Touch screen in the center console. However, unlike many touchscreen-based infotainment units, this one is accompanied by a full complement of tactile buttons including the endangered radio-tuning dial.

Taking up its usual residence on the left hand side of the center console is Lincoln’s signature push-button gear shifter, which may be gimmicky, but is a nice touch to separate Lincoln from the other premium manufacturers.

New Wheel and Soft Seats

Debuting in the 2015 MKC is an all-new Lincoln steering wheel that will eventually find its way into the rest of the brand’s future models. The wheel isn’t exactly ground breaking or memorable, but is pleasant and functional. Leaving a much larger and positive impression on us are the soft, comfortable leather seats. Lincoln has been partnered up with British firm Bridge of Weir for some time now and it’s paying off. Even compared to the leather used in the MKZ, the new seats are far superior.

Proving that Lincoln does indeed want to attract younger customers, the MKC offers built-in smartphone connectivity that allows owners to do things like lock, unlock and locate the vehicle through the MyLincoln Mobile app. For audiophiles, the MKC can also be equipped with THX II surround sound.

Unlike a lot of compact crossovers, the second row seats are designed for adult passengers with higher mounted seat cushions and arm rests. Unfortunately, legroom is tight and feels smaller than the official 36.8-inch measurement suggests. The rear hatch offers 25.2 cubic feet of cargo space that can grow to 53.1 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.

Two Turbo Choices

Standard in the MKC is the same 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine found in top-trim Ford Escapes. It makes 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque and is paired to a six-speed automatic with either front- or all-wheel drive. The MKC can also be had with Ford’s new a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that generates a healthy 285 hp and 305 lb-ft of torque. It too is paired with a six-speed automatic, but is only available with all-wheel drive.

Both engines run on regular fuel, with the base MKC 2.0-liter FWD rated at 20 MPG in the city and 29 MPG on the highway. Opting for an AWD MKC will raise fuel consumption as the 2.0-liter is rated at 19 MPG city and 26 MPG highway, while the 2.3-liter is expected to return 18 in the city and 26 on the highway.

These engines are tasked with moving a lot of weight; nearly 4,000 lbs worth in the top of the-line MKC 2.3-liter AWD. The larger four-pot turbo we sampled though is up to the challenge. Turbo lag is virtually non-existent in the 2.3-liter and power can be called upon throughout the rpm range. The new engine pulls with authority and we can’t wait to see how it will perform in the new Mustang.

Surprisingly Engaging

All MKCs equipped with all-wheel drive come equipped with continuously controlled damping. This system is designed to give the MKC a smooth ride while helping minimize body roll when cornering. Three separate modes – comfort, normal and sport – are available and can be manually selected by the driver.

During our drive, we didn’t notice a difference in ride quality or cornering ability between the three modes. However, sport mode does more than just adjust the dampers. Press the “S” button on the center console and steering feel, throttle response and transmission mapping are all altered to make the MKC a surprisingly nimble vehicle. It isn’t until a corner is taken with too much enthusiasm that the chassis reminds you this is indeed a crossover and not a sports car.

Tech Savvy

Of course all the latest safety features are included with the MKC such as collision warning with brake support, blind spot detection, lane-keep and cross-traffic alert. Being part of the Ford family, the MKC also features the self-parking assist that will steer the vehicle into and out of parallel parking spaces on its own.

On sale now, the MKC will be available in three trims levels: Premiere, Select and Reserve. The entry level Premiere 2.0 front-wheel drive starts at $33,995 after destination charges, while the 2.3-liter all-wheel drive model starts at $37,630 while the top-trim “Reserve” model starts at $44,565.

The Verdict

That pricing puts the MKC right in line with the Audi Q5, which is what Lincoln benchmarked it against. That’s a bit ambitious because the MKC lacks some of the Q5’s refinement and doesn’t offer the same brand cachet. Lower your expectations a smidgen to stack it up beside the Acura RDX or Infiniti QX50 and it is wholly competitive.

Having a modern, class competitive vehicle shows that the mighty ship Lincoln may not be lost at sea after all. The MKC won’t single-handily stamp out the lumbering old man sedan reputation, but it is a step in the right direction.

LOVE IT
Power from the 2.3-liter engine
Nimble in sport mode
Seat quality and comfort

LEAVE IT
Class average in many ways
Rear seat space
Lacks some refinement

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-3950.html
Old 08-29-14, 06:35 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Lincoln MKC First Drive

With the 2015 MKC, Lincoln finally has a model that's going to play well in California.
Let’s face it: Those in Dearborn focus so much on doing the right thing for Lincoln, the Brand. But outside of the Midwest, for the most part, Town Cars are Town Cars; Navigators are Navigators; and Lincoln's current larger sedans and crossovers, like the MKS, MKX, and MKT, are mysteriously absent. In California, almost as in China, where Lincoln is just starting to break through, the brand is a clean slate—a clean slate with a little bit of intrigue, perhaps, a la American boom-time ‘heritage brands.’

From this point? Lincoln’s best bet is to go contemporary, providing a modern vehicle that's right in stride with what the market demands right now—and what those younger, first-time luxury shoppers might want. If they can then pack in some of the brand’s heritage style into the end product, all the better, but it's secondary.

Luckily, what the market demands right now are more vehicles like the 2015 Lincoln MKC. So-called compact luxury crossovers are booming. Affluent professionals are choosing them instead of mid-size sedans, and they're packing enough features and comfort to prompt empty-nester types to downsize from larger SUVs.

In a spirited drive of this all-new compact luxury crossover this past week, on Southern California mountain roads that would have had passengers whining and suspensions wallowing in many Lincolns of yore, we found the MKC to be a quiet, sporty, capable rival for some of the best luxury crossovers on the market.

Related, but not replicated

To get the obvious question out of the way first: Yes, the MKC is based on the underpinnings of the Ford Escape, and it carries forward with quite a few parts with that model underneath; but it doesn’t share the same sheetmetal or roofline (the roofline is an inch lower, the beltline is a bit higher, and the sheetmetal is a good deal more voluptuous and interesting from the side. 'Graceful athleticism' is a keyword, and it shows that in its stance, while the clamshell tailgate and horizontal tailgate are refreshingly different in a class of relative lookalikes. It's assembled at the same Louisville, Kentucky, facility as the Escape (to some tighter standards, officials add), but it's also definitely no closer to the Escape than the Cadillac SRX is a Chevy Equinox.

The MKC has some exclusive cabin materials, ride-and-refinement extras like active noise cancellation and continuously controlled damping, as well as under-the-hood hardware that altogether makes it feel like a different vehicle from behind the wheel—especially in the top-of-the-line 2.3-liter AWD Reserve trim that we spent the day with.

That engine is one of the highlights. Ford Motor Co. has pushed its 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine out into much of its Ford and Lincoln lineup by now—in everything from the Focus ST to versions of the Taurus and Explorer. While that arguably produces V-6-like thrust as the base engine in the MKC (and the same 240 hp, 270 lb-ft output), it’s the available 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbo four (yes, the one that will be offered in the Mustang beginning later this year) that definitely secures this model a higher peg, with 285 horsepower and 305 pound-feet of torque—figures that would have been in V-8 territory less than a decade ago.

It's every bit as strong as it sounds. And while the model we tested weighed right around 4,000 pounds, that's more than 300 pounds lighter (and 13 hp more) than an Audi Q5 3.0T. On the other hand, the Acura RDX has a V-6 that's short 12 hp versus the MKC but about 150 pounds lighter.

While this model doesn't drive like a hot hatch, it has a poise and confidence—combined with a level of refinement that's on par with what you'll find in the RDX, the Q5, and the BMW X3.

Fit for mountain roads—really

Buyers of this sort of vehicle will surely have some widely varying expectations, from boulevard cruising to—if they can grab some West Coast buyers—occasional mountain- or canyon-road road-tripping. And for the latter situation, Lincoln is offering both a Sport mode as well as normal and Sport drive settings for powertrain, ride, and steering to be set by the driver.

It's all part of a system called Lincoln Drive Control. The idea is that you have one 'normal' set of choices for 'D' and one other, sportier, set for 'S'—all on the odd instrument-panel button-shifter. If you hit Sport twice, you can toggle on a 'full manual' mode that allows you full control with the steering-wheel paddle-shifters. Well, it's not quite full manual, as it forces a downshift when your right foot reaches the floor, but almost. Responses from the six-speed (6F35) automatic are satisfying enough most of the time, and Ford has ramped it up with a stronger torque converter for the 2.3-liter.

In any case, this system lets you program two quite different characters for the vehicle, based on two different steering-assist levels, two performance (powertrain) levels, and three suspension levels. The only catch is that you set those characters through a MyLincoln Touch style menu, with the left steering-wheel toggle. And those settings are buried, in the third layer of menus—so we really do wonder how many Lincoln owners are going to find them, or mind tweaking them.
There's a very pronounced difference in the Continuously Controlled Damping suspension between Comfort and Sport, the two extremes. On a curvy road, we found some secondary motions that were disconcerting there but later welcomed on a choppy, washboard-like section of freeway. And the Sport setting is firmer than we might have ever expected from a Lincoln, leaving loads of grip, surprisingly little lean, and subtle, predictable loading and unloading through some tight, demanding esses.

Could it be the best-handling in its class?

The tuning of the steering really helps impart that unexpectedly sporty impression. It’s flawless, in my opinion; we found excellent weighting, as well as just a tiny bit of feedback over bumpy surfaces when loaded up (desirable, but rare in this class). Brakes are phenomenal, too—they're a world better than the Ford Motor Co. cars and crossovers of just a few years ago—with reassuring bite, a solid pedal feel (they've been upsized for the MKC), and no touchiness.

By the way, the base 2.0-liter front-wheel-drive model performs nearly as well, with a lighter feel overall (it weighs almost 200 pounds less); although it seems nearly as quick in standing-start acceleration as the heavier all-wheel-drive 2.3-liter; transition responses from the 2.3-liter are definitely delivered with more of an instantaneous kick—thanks to the superior twin-scroll turbocharged in the 2.3.

Inside, especially from one of the front seats, there's plenty to see as better than what you'll find in other models that are roughly the same price. Lincoln has padded all areas in front of (and beside) the front and outboard rear occupants with soft-touch materials; even the lower glovebox panel ahead of the passenger is padded. Supple Bridge of Weir leather, with tri-level heating and cooling, add to seats that provide impressive comfort and support in front—although if you plan to exploit all the cornering forces afforded by the sticky (unique to this model) Michelin 19-inch rubber, you might find them a little lacking in side support.

The MKC's controls are pleasing and straightforward, for the most part. Although MyLincoln Touch is a shoe-in here, and one we continue to find a bit frustrating, the steering-wheel toggles are easy to understand. And thankfully, Ford has gotten rid of the much-maligned (and rightly so) capacitive sliders for some functions, like volume, replacing them with physical up/down tabs.

Bright inside, tight in back

At the front of the cabin, the corners have been pushed outward as much as possible, and trims are unusual and contrast-oriented. 'Elegant Artistery' is the term here—think porous wood with bright metal, and glossy wood with matte finish, for example; and it's all illuminated in the top Reserve by a huge panoramic roof. Lots of attention has been paid to sound quality inside the cabin; it's easy to have a relaxed conversation, even when you're moving rapidly over coarse surfaces.

We found very little to gripe about in the MKC. The worst of it is the back seat, where the materials and trims are just as impressive, but the contouring/cushioning don't feel luxurious; like many in this class. It's more cramped than about any model we can think of in this class (around 180 inches long), and with that available panoramic roof six-footers are going to find headroom tight back there.

While we'll reserve final judgment until we can get some extended time in an MKC, but the other sore spot might be gas mileage; we weren't seeing much promising news from the trip computer—which leads us to wonder if this otherwise smooth and punchy engine in the 2015 Ford Mustang will slot under the V-6 in real-world efficiency.

A MyLincoln Mobile app allows a wide range of services from a distance (through the cell network), including remote starting, a fuel-level check, and a vehicle locator. A rearview camera system is standard, but you can opt up to a $2,235 Technology Package suite of active-safety features like lane-keeping, adaptive cruise, a collision warning system with brake support, and a cross-traffic alert system that Lincoln says is a class-exclusive. There's also a new Active Park Assist with Park Out Assist, which now not only helps you get into tight parallel spots but out of them.

Over the base Premiere model, you can step up to the Select Package to get the upgraded leather, more adjustable seats, ambient lighting, and plenty more extras; then top Reserve models get the dual-pane panoramic sunroof, navigation, a hands-free tailgate, and heated-and-cooled seats, among other things. You can also opt up to a THX II Certified audio system with 14 speakers plus a distributed bass system, or spring for extras like 20-inch wheels or several special paint hues. And interestingly, Ford offers the 2.3-liter engine, the Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD) suspension, and all-wheel drive as standalone options, so there are many, many builds possible—although if you want front-wheel drive, you'll need to stick with the smaller engine.
A few grand less than most rivals with the same equipment

Our test car, with the 2.3-liter engine, THX audio, the Tech Package, the Climate Package (heated rear seat, heated steering wheel, auto headlamps, rain-sensing wipers) added up to $49,910—from a base price of $33,995 for the base, front-wheel-drive Premiere. That's in the ballpark, if not less, than all the luxury-brand rivals from Audi, Acura, Lexus, Cadillac, or even Volvo.

Some years back, Lincoln operations were moved out to Orange County, California. Ironically, now that Lincoln is back in Michigan, and even putting some focus toward China, it's made the most appealing Lincoln ever for the West Coast. It's a legit Audi Q5 rival in the form we tested, and we're very curious to see how it matches up against the upcoming 2015 Lexus NX.

In all, because of the active noise cancellation and quiet interior, the active-damping, the gutsy engine, and the fully realized drive modes, the top-of-the-line 2.3-liter Reserve model does feel like something greater. But what about the brand?

Lincoln has been doing a lot behind the scenes to help dig out of its stodgy reputation—including incentivizing its dealerships to keep late-model trade-ins for the brand’s two-year-old CPO program, rather than selling them at auction. The brand was neglected in product and ill-focused in mission for so long that it needs to build that back; and the reputation, cachet, and resale value will follow.

While the MKZ was an eccentric, the 2015 MKC is on message, and a great start on a new path. It's a no-brainer in concept, and impressive in function and form. Lincoln could use a few more of these
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...kc-first-drive
Old 08-29-14, 08:48 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Explorer badge engineering, but i'll give it to Ford for creating a nicer interior and a decent looking exterior for the Aviator. Oh, and let's not forget, the Mercury Mountaineer!
Same can be said for the Land Cruiser and LX, they are virtually identical. It helps that the land cruiser was a great car to begin
Old 08-29-14, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

One of my favortie angles I've seen thus far

Quick Reply: 2015 Lincoln MKC