Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealerships & Telemarkaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

You must utter the magic phrase. You must say "Put me on your do not call list". THEN, they're required by law to put you on their Do Not Call list, and they're subject to fines if they continue to call you.
Only if they are within the jurisdiction or reach of American authorities. Otherwise, they can (and usually do) totally ignore the Do-Not-Call List.

Frankly, I don't see what these telemarketers actually gain, though, by continuing to call people that don't want it, even if they can legally get away with it. All they do is irritate those people even more and, IMO, LESSEN the chances of them getting a sale or contribution.
Old 04-11-14, 02:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
One of the biggest problems with the "Do Not Call" list (aside from the evil people who simply ignore the law) is that it's very specific.

If you tell a telemarketer...

"Stop calling me"
"Never call me again"
"Take me off your list"
"I'm not interested in your products, ever"
"Go to hell"
etc

They can still, legally, call you.

You must utter the magic phrase. You must say "Put me on your do not call list". THEN, they're required by law to put you on their Do Not Call list, and they're subject to fines if they continue to call you.
But if you signed up for the state/federal Do Not Call List, they shouldn't have been calling you to begin with, and are subject to fine--if the attorney general can even find them...which they probably can't, because if they were following the law, they wouldn't have called you in the first place.
Old 04-11-14, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only if they are within the jurisdiction or reach of American authorities. Otherwise, they can (and usually do) totally ignore the Do-Not-Call List.

Frankly, I don't see what these telemarketers actually gain, though, by continuing to call people that don't want it, even if they can legally get away with it. All they do is irritate those people even more and, IMO, LESSEN the chances of them getting a sale or contribution.
If they didn't make money off of it, they wouldn't be doing it. I used to think the same things about the "Nigerian" email scams--but they work often enough to keep them up, evolving every so often to keep ahead of the curve.
Old 04-11-14, 04:08 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But if you signed up for the state/federal Do Not Call List, they shouldn't have been calling you to begin with, and are subject to fine--if the attorney general can even find them...which they probably can't, because if they were following the law, they wouldn't have called you in the first place.

no, if you do business with them, willingly give them your number, they can call you even if you are on the federal DNC list.
Old 04-11-14, 04:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pman6
no, if you do business with them, willingly give them your number, they can call you even if you are on the federal DNC list.
Yes--the business you transacted with--NOT a telemarketer they sell your name to.

You didn't read my response in connection with the post I replied to:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
One of the biggest problems with the "Do Not Call" list (aside from the evil people who simply ignore the law) is that it's very specific.

If you tell a telemarketer...

"Stop calling me"
"Never call me again"
"Take me off your list"
"I'm not interested in your products, ever"
"Go to hell"
etc

They can still, legally, call you.

Old 04-12-14, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If they didn't make money off of it, they wouldn't be doing it. I used to think the same things about the "Nigerian" email scams--but they work often enough to keep them up, evolving every so often to keep ahead of the curve.
I was referring to the same telemarketer, calling the same number, over and over again, when that household made it clear that they don't want to be disturbed (yes, that happens). In that situation, I don't see how chances of a sale will increase.