Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Of mice and men

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 05:19 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Of mice and men

I'm posting this here as mice have no particular preferences when it comes to the make or model of a car.
About a year ago I went on a trip to a neighbouring country (luckily not with my RX 350). On the the return trip I 'discovered' a mouse in the load bay of the pick-up truck, but didn't make too much of it.
Well to make a long story short, after many sudden electrical failures and after some of the sound deadening material in the engine bay developed 'strange' holes with teeth marks and after much (desperate and extreme) remedial actions like mouse traps etc etc. the problem prevailed.
Eventually I bought some of the stuff that you hang in wardrobes for moths etc (not moth *****) and attached it to a convenient spot in the engine bay ..... guess what? I haven't seen any evidence of mice in that vehicle ever since.
I have no explanation for this. Suppose they don't like the smell. I can just imagine how these little guys would enjoy a Lexus and how one will have the privilege of seeing a lot of the warning lights in action, caused by chewed through wiring etc. You guessed right, I have some of that wardrobe insect stuff in my RX 350.
Maybe in the US you don't have this kind of problem, but this is Africa and you better close your windows in certain areas, you can get a spitting cobra, waiting for you as a passenger, but I don't mind them, they don't sabotage your wiring harness.

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-02-14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 05:47 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
I'm posting this here as mice have no particular preferences when it comes to the make or model of a car.
About a year ago I went on a trip to a neighbouring country (luckily not with my RX 350). On the the return trip I 'discovered' a mouse in the load bay of the pick-up truck, but didn't make too much of it.
Well to make a long story short, after many sudden electrical failures and after some of the sound deadening material in the engine bay developed 'strange' holes with teeth marks and after much (desperate and extreme) remedial actions like mouse traps etc etc. the problem prevailed.
Eventually I bought some of the stuff that you hang in wardrobes for moths etc (not moth *****) and attached it to a convenient spot in the engine bay ..... guess what? I haven't seen any evidence of mice in that vehicle ever since.
I have no explanation for this. Suppose they don't like the smell. I can just imagine how these little guys would enjoy a Lexus and how one will have the privilege of seeing a lot of the warning lights in action, caused by chewed through wiring etc. You guessed right, I have some of that wardrobe insect stuff in my RX 350.
Maybe in the US you don't have this kind of problem, but this is Africa and you better close your windows in certain areas, you can get a spitting cobra, waiting for you as a passenger, but I don't mind them, they don't sabotage your wiring harness.
...???
Old 04-02-14, 07:30 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

What is there to be confused about? He had move chew up wiring in his truck, he learned from it, and took protective measures in his Lexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-02-14, 07:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A cat is a good deterrent.

Let the cat prowl near your car.

Mice will move onto a place with less danger.
Old 04-02-14, 08:17 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Now why would Walt Disney base his most famous character on a creature unknown in the US? Point is just that here we have some of those creatures and they can in now time flat cause damage to a car, amounting to large sums of money that no warranty or insurer covers. Secondly I would've liked to know why the moth repellant (maybe it kills the moths too), scared the mice off.
Old 04-02-14, 08:19 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Now why would Walt Disney base his most famous character on a creature unknown in the US? Point is just that here we have some of those creatures and they can in now time flat cause damage to a car, amounting to large sums of money that no warranty or insurer covers. Secondly I would've liked to know why the moth repellant (maybe it kills the moths too), scared the mice off.
Actually, we have mice too. Found a few carcasses in my dad's 67 Firebird.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-02-14, 08:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

My dad is a parts department manager at a large Toyota dealership here in Washington state. They get cars in every week that have rodent infestation, even on cars that have only been sitting for a few days. It's a bigger problem than many people realize.

Luckily for us, though, no cobras...
Old 04-02-14, 09:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I took my LS in for service once and my service advisor texted me a picture of a dead mouse that fell out and hit the technician when he took off the under panelling. Scared the crap out him. Luckily no damage to my car.
Old 04-02-14, 10:34 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

http://www.voetspore.co.za
Opening the link will give you an option for translation into English.
These guys take regular trips through Africa. A rat hitched a ride in Ethiopia, on completion of their journey they put the vehicles in containers in Alexandria, to be shipped back to South Africa. Despite these guys swearing that they saw the rat running away from their vehicles, while parked in a street in Cairo, the vehicle which the rat chose, arrived back in South Africa with severe rat damage to the interior.

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-02-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 07:26 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My dad is a parts department manager at a large Toyota dealership here in Washington state. They get cars in every week that have rodent infestation, even on cars that have only been sitting for a few days. It's a bigger problem than many people realize.

Luckily for us, though, no cobras...
The best part is the idiots who think that the damage caused from the rats and mice should be covered under warranty.
Old 04-03-14, 01:50 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Funny part is that the car manufacturers spend billions to update on electronics and a primitive creature (no offence to them) like a mouse can turn it overnight into a nightmare. They should have some guys with thick lensed glasses, who research how to mouse proof these electronics. Just imagine what can it mean if the guy who buys the latest LX 570 can tick a box under optional equipment, which says: "mouse proofing kit installed". (just joking).
Must be somebody out there who can tell me why the clothing moth repellant seems unacceptable to
mice.