Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 10:12 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Just had a chance to watch the broadcast. Gotta say, even though his vice was a bit quivery, I really liked the videos and the new marketing perspective
Old 04-17-14, 12:24 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Moderator edit. Pman6 exit this thread.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-17-14 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 07:18 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
It happens every time a new Toyota model is introduced.

Everybody complains about how bland and boring Toyotas are and then when Toyota introduces something with a bit of style (the original Venza introduction, the new Avalon, the new Corolla, the new Highlander), those same people start screaming about how they preferred bland and boring. [/sigh...]

i like the direction to go bold. but i don't like the direction of just doing what hyundai's been dong - collage of various design.

i also don't see a cohesive design in that awful front. i'm fine with everything else except the front. just looks like big giant mouth with lots of nasty stuff in it.

big in your face grill can work, but it's very hard to pull it off. what you have it here is another love/hate design. and i happen to hate it.
Old 04-17-14, 08:41 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hlee12
i like the direction to go bold. but i don't like the direction of just doing what hyundai's been dong - collage of various design.

i also don't see a cohesive design in that awful front. i'm fine with everything else except the front. just looks like big giant mouth with lots of nasty stuff in it.

big in your face grill can work, but it's very hard to pull it off. what you have it here is another love/hate design. and i happen to hate it.
Yes I understand your agony.

A good example is the Genesis Coupe. The pre facelift had a nice sporty yet elegant face.

But then Hyundai done the facelift and transformed the face from pretty to ugly

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-17-14 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

generally these large grills look bad (to me) on white cars. they look fine (to me) on dark cars.

Old 04-17-14, 08:51 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

lol

so true. i despise that refreshed gen coupe. just an awful way to portray 'i'm different, please look at me!'. i love how gen coupe rides. it reminded me of my modded e46 330i back in the days.

but that refreshed face... something only mother could love...
Old 04-17-14, 08:53 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
generally these large grills look bad (to me) on white cars. they look fine (to me) on dark cars.

i do agree that looks better. also remove the H grill and it blends well.

but still. i hate the nostrils on the hood. i just hate the catfish smile. they really fouled it up with current gen coupe IMO. it's a very unfortunate nice car.

there are some hyundai grill that works. this concept could actually work.

it's just a concept, but i can see it in production form. instead of making a catfish face, this actually looks mean and maybe even luxurious.
and i wouldn't be so put off by it. i think new genesis sedan does a decent job at making a bold grill. but it's too audi like. again, big bold grill can be done, but it's so hard to pull it off. even the spindle grill has hits and misses.

at least gen coupe is so friggin rare.

this? we will bee seeing this every friggin day.

i actually don't mind the Avalon's face. it's executed so much better than awful thing. but overall, i'm just not a big fan of big wide open mouth grill in general.

Last edited by hlee12; 04-17-14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-17-14, 09:15 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have been more interesting and cohesive to see Toyota apply the Avalon's split lower trapezoid grill and rear-end design to the Camry instead of recycling the Lexus spindle grill. Yes, the trend did start with Audi, and the Avalon's grill looks more Audi than Lexus, but why not continue that formula in the Camry?

Lexus sales show that people overwhelmingly liked the new face of their cars, and it makes sense that Toyota would adopt something that's proven to sell. However, Lexus' success has been in being able to distinguish itself with design and feature set which is why I think overall this type of borrowing is an eventual minus for the brand.

Additionally, the Camry can now be optioned with Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Pre-collision, RCTA, etc. which are not even available in some current-generation Lexus models.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York-3htlnw5.png
Old 04-17-14, 09:20 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
It would have been more interesting and cohesive to see Toyota apply the Avalon's split lower trapezoid grill and rear-end design to the Camry instead of recycling the Lexus spindle grill. Yes, the trend did start with Audi, and the Avalon's grill looks more Audi than Lexus, but why not continue that formula in the Camry?

Lexus sales show that people overwhelmingly liked the new face of their cars, and it makes sense that Toyota would adopt something that's proven to sell. However, Lexus' success has been in being able to distinguish itself with design and feature set which is why I think overall this type of borrowing is an eventual minus for the brand.

Additionally, the Camry can now be optioned with Adaptive Cruise, Lane Departure, Pre-collision, RCTA, etc. which are not even available in some current-generation Lexus models.

i agree. they should've split the grill like avalon.

if you make camry's grill all mesh and just remove the camry badge it will look no doubt look like a lexus. just much uglier version
Old 04-17-14, 09:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Uhh what?
Originally Posted by amphipri0n

Still absolutely Crazy to me that Toyota did this.
Lexus spent the last year promoting their new signature face of all their cars and in one second Toyota just ruined all that identity that Lexus had been able to generate.
Old 04-17-14, 09:36 AM
LexFather

Some of you guys are really stretching it. You guys said Lexus looks like audi grill now it's Camry. No one has even seen the car in person yet.

Omg red car and black grill = the same

And omg the constant baggage of Hyundai/Kia in ever bloody thread is OLD!!!

Old 04-17-14, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

cant win with some people, it is either ugly or it steals lexus indentity

then they will wonder how come it ia still #1 in sales.

best part of this rather major change is that you will get camry people with their lease ending after 3 years, to upgrade since it is such major change.
Old 04-17-14, 09:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I quite like it. I'm not overjoyed by the plastic treatment on the C pillar, but will reserve final judgment until I see it in person.
Old 04-17-14, 09:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Learn about some of the updates made in the new 2015 Camry, and meet some of the Toyota team members who have helped to bring it to life.
Old 04-17-14, 10:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone is going to like the styling. Toyota can't make everyone happy. But for the most part people like it or don't mind the refresh.

AutoBlog's poll shows only about 23.5% of people don't like the new styling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2...new-york-2014/

Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York