Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 08:16 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read All About it: Toyota Gives 2015 Camry a Makeover [82 Photos & Videos]

As promised, Toyota has applied more than the usual makeover to its bread-and-butter sedan in the U.S., the Camry, with the 2015 model bringing a revamped exterior with a more expressive face, an upgraded interior as well as better ride quality and handling thanks to a retuned suspension.

The 2015 Camry unveiled at the New York Auto Show also adds two new grades, the sporty and luxurious XSE and the eco-fun Hybrid SE, to the entry-level LE and the premium XLE grades.

The Camry’s proportions are slightly changed compared to the pre-facelift model, as the car is 1.8 inches (45mm) longer and features a widened track (0.4 inches/10mm). Together with the more aggressive front end dominated by a gaping grille, these give the car more presence and a dynamic stance.

The restyled Camry features design cues from the JDM Toyota Sai facelift and the U.S.-market Corolla but retains a well-defined identity. The new sleek headlights with integrated turn signal indicators and LED DRL’s complement the aggressive front fascia. The sedan will be available in 10 colors, including the new Celestial Silver Metallic and Ruby Flare Pearl.

On the inside, the 2015 Camry appears to have a more refined feel thanks to premium materials and improved amenities. Depending on grade, seat cover textures range from premium cloth all of the way to genuine leather and Ultrasuede with durable, high contrast French-stitching.

The center-stack features a high-tech, upscale look, while the center console tray has been redesigned to increase capacity while offering a power source in the storage box. The new enclosed bin in front of the shifter now offers 12v, USB and a segment-first, available wireless charging system for select smart phones.

The instrument panel features a new 4.2-inch TFT screen nestled between the three-dimensional Optitron gauges on the SE, XLE and XSE models. Toyota says the 2015 Camry has a quieter cabin as window and door seals were improved and the carpet features 30 percent more insulating material.

There are no changes under the hood, with the Camry being offered with the same 2.5-liter four-cylinder or 3.5-liter V6 gas engines paired with 6-speed automatic transmissions, or a 2.5-liter Atkinson Cycle engine with Hybrid Synergy drive matched to an E-CVT. The new Toyota 2015 Camry will arrive in dealerships this fall.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/rea...ives-2015.html
Old 04-16-14, 08:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How I feel about this car will depend heavily on how Toyota plans to have it play out over the next few years. As a refresh, it's obviously very substantial.

The exterior, to me, is just different - not better or worse. I want to say that I like the front end of the current Camry more. That grille on the XSE model looks like an early mock up of the Lexus spindle...just bad. It's too big and too imposing. The XLE grille looks better, but it seems to lack the smooth integration and class of the Avalon. The back end is horribly derivative and looks like a late 90s Buick. The side profile is fine and actually seems to evoke the 2007-2011 Camry quite a bit. That black strip of plastic on the C pillar is, I assume, supposed to help the window line look more coupe like, but IMO, it just looks awkward.

The interior ended up being less of a redesign than I actually thought for. The basic shapes are all the same as the current car, and while it looks fine, it's rather pedestrian and not as appealing as the Accord. Is Toyota going to be using higher quality materials in the same molds? Not really sure how that process works, but it seems like if they are improving the quality of the materials, they would have given them a bit more of an stylistic update. The center stack, in particular, looks to be mostly hard plastic. Minor nitpick, but that shifter is also quite cheap looking. I personally think exposed cup holders like that look cheap and warrant a cover, but that is also a small nitpick.

To last another ~2 years on the market, I think these updates are fine, but if Toyota has plans for this car to last any longer than that, I think it will be a problem.

All in all, Accord Sport would still be my choice. Nicer looking inside and out.
Great post. The thing is Toyota treats their SE much better. The accord sport is bare bones.

Old 04-16-14, 08:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Great post. The thing is Toyota treats their SE much better. The accord sport is bare bones.
True.
Though the Accord Sport does offer a 6 speed manual.
No 6cyl doesn't make sense.
Old 04-16-14, 08:32 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
How I feel about this car will depend heavily on how Toyota plans to have it play out over the next few years. As a refresh, it's obviously very substantial.

The exterior, to me, is just different - not better or worse. I want to say that I like the front end of the current Camry more. That grille on the XSE model looks like an early mock up of the Lexus spindle...just bad. It's too big and too imposing. The XLE grille looks better, but it seems to lack the smooth integration and class of the Avalon. The back end is horribly derivative and looks like a late 90s Buick. The side profile is fine and actually seems to evoke the 2007-2011 Camry quite a bit. That black strip of plastic on the C pillar is, I assume, supposed to help the window line look more coupe like, but IMO, it just looks awkward.

The interior ended up being less of a redesign than I actually thought for. The basic shapes are all the same as the current car, and while it looks fine, it's rather pedestrian and not as appealing as the Accord. Is Toyota going to be using higher quality materials in the same molds? Not really sure how that process works, but it seems like if they are improving the quality of the materials, they would have given them a bit more of an stylistic update. The center stack, in particular, looks to be mostly hard plastic. Minor nitpick, but that shifter is also quite cheap looking. I personally think exposed cup holders like that look cheap and warrant a cover, but that is also a small nitpick.

To last another ~2 years on the market, I think these updates are fine, but if Toyota has plans for this car to last any longer than that, I think it will be a problem.

All in all, Accord Sport would still be my choice. Nicer looking inside and out.
Excellent post
Sorry, but this thing is atrocious looking. Anyone thinking that front end looks good needs to have their eyes examined. The Altima, Accord, Sonata, & Fusion bury this thing in the looks department inside and out. Just a terrible refresh in my opinion. They should have waited and done a complete redesign in a couple years.
Old 04-16-14, 08:35 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Nice, mean, and aggressive. I like it. Everything else is bland now.
Old 04-16-14, 08:36 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Pretty bold changes but I can't really call it handsome. But it certainly is different and could almost be taken as an all new car. Only the still clunky interior gives it away.
Old 04-16-14, 08:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone else see it this way? Avalon headlights + LS front = new Camry?

Old 04-16-14, 08:51 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Mazda does the same thing as Honda. I don't get why some auto makers are trying to make "Sport" mean cheap.
Old 04-16-14, 08:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Mazda does the same thing as Honda. I don't get why some auto makers are trying to make "Sport" mean cheap.
The Accord Sport looks good with it's 18" nice wheels, spoiler, dual exhaust look etc.
No 6 cylinder would kill it for me.
Old 04-16-14, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Excellent post
Sorry, but this thing is atrocious looking. Anyone thinking that front end looks good needs to have their eyes examined. The Altima, Accord, Sonata, & Fusion bury this thing in the looks department inside and out. Just a terrible refresh in my opinion. They should have waited and done a complete redesign in a couple years.
Yeah, they should have done that amazing makeover like they did on the Q70 you are bragging about.

Old 04-16-14, 09:11 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Yeah, they should have done that amazing makeover like they did on the Q70 you are bragging about.
Oh it's ok, I'm not bragging. But yes, the Q70 refresh looks great. This refresh looks terrible. Everything in its class looks better - including the offerings from Kia & Mazda. This refresh has done nothing to improve the Camry's looks. They should have just left it alone and waited for the redesign. This early refresh reminds me of what Honda did to the Civic a year or so ago - a desperate attempt to try to keep a poor design looking fresh. It simply doesn't work, however.
Old 04-16-14, 09:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Oh it's ok, I'm not bragging. But yes, the Q70 refresh looks great. This refresh looks terrible. Everything in its class looks better - including the offerings from Kia & Mazda. This refresh has done nothing to improve the Camry's looks. They should have just left it alone and waited for the redesign. This early refresh reminds me of what Honda did to the Civic a year or so ago - a desperate attempt to try to keep a poor design looking fresh. It simply doesn't work, however.
Duly noted

Old 04-16-14, 09:14 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I like it. I think they did a great job on the facelift Camry. The current model looked very bland and boring. The refresh looks very edgy and aggressive, but thats just my opinion.
Old 04-16-14, 09:26 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Overall, I like it, but I don't like the blacked out part on the C pillar. They are trying to make it look like it has an extra window there to round things out, but it is and looks fake.
Old 04-16-14, 09:42 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, the Corolla got so huge LOL, not bad

Quick Reply: Toyota To Show Refreshed 2015 Camry In New York