Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

finding a part for my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 05:13 PM
twentyone
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default finding a part for my truck

So, I originally took in my 2001 toyota sequoia to get looked at at a local mechanic because the driver front door wont open from the inside handle. They had identified that it was a cable that had snapped. They didn't have the part and I couldn't wait to have it done so, I figured I would deal with it later. I now want to have it fixed, and buy the part on my own so i can get it at a lower price but, when I called two different toyota parts departments they make it seem like that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and that the only way they can tell me the part is if I bring it in. I have a hard time believing that's the case. If it isn't, can anyone recommend a way to identify what the part is so I can get my door fixed?
Old 03-06-14, 07:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

They "think" its the cable that snapped. No way to know for sure what is wrong until you take the door panel off. Which is kind of a PITA on newer cars if you've never done one before and don't have the right type of tools.
Old 03-06-14, 08:55 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a number of Toyota dealers nationwide that sell parts on the internet. Many of them have diagrams showing the various parts throughout the car, but oftentimes the part number info is not made available.

I have bought numerous parts from Toyotapartszone.com. They do show the part numbers. Just looking at their website, it appears that the part numbers for the cables operating the front door locks on a 2001 Sequoia are 69760-0C020 for the left hand door and 69750-OCO21 for the right hand door. The cables are in the $20-$30 range.

My suggestion would be to take the vehicle to an auto glass replacement facility and ask them to do the repair. The rear door lock assembly on the 2004 Sequoia I owned broke (a very common problem with Sequoias), and I had the latch assembly replaced at a local facility. I ordered the part online and took it with me. The repair cost about $100.00, which was very reasonable considering the degree of difficulty in replacing this assembly.
Old 03-06-14, 10:21 PM
PIONEER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at this page here, I'm thinking you need the plastic piece that holds the lock rod in place. Go to the Toyota dealership, have them pull up the internal door diagram like this one and have them find the plastic piece you need. Shouldn't be more then $5.

Look for Item 3 or 4 on this diagram. Better yet, take your door panel off and see which one is broken. There aren't any cables in the door, just rods that control the handle function.

https://www.parts.olathetoyota.com/p...iagram=8431550