Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Durability, Best Race Track Vehicle ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 06:56 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Durability, Best Race Track Vehicle ?

Hello there. I have been lurking around since I am looking for a car that I want with Daily Drivability, Track times, Auto-Cross.

I have test drove several car, and even though the STI is very Responsive, good handling and all. I am having a hard time finding information about it can be reliable to run on the Racing Tracks, or Auto Cross times.

I still wanted to Bite the Bullet, but Subaru Dealer told me that if they find any Signs of Abuse, or Racing involved, the Warrantee is VOID. That together with the not so much Reliable Reputation from Subaru totally turned me away.

Now, back to Lexus/Toyota, the Brand I have always been with. I see their LF-A did run a lot in the Racing Track hitting like 35,000 miles.....and nothing happened. That Paul Walker commented on it himself, the best Super-Car.

Look at the Pine Peaks, the CC that Lexus has running was using Lexus Stock Engine in the IS-F....now, that is another awesome thing. I think suspensions components, and braces that I can put on later, but what worry me much is the Reliability. Engine, Transmission.

I know that no manufacturer want to perform warranty on an abused vehicle, or Race involvements, but what if you Race it, and it never break down.

Can anyone give me a better Idea of what I should be looking for ? Could It be Lexus ? New 350 or IS-F Used ? Thanks. What other options are there ?
Old 03-04-14, 07:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Auto-cross u need a light car imo.
Get a Miata, S2000, FRS - cheap to service/fix, good gas mileage.

ISF is great as an all around car but i would not use it for track/autocross unless its a few times per year.
Old 03-04-14, 07:16 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Are you talking about a dedicated track car or one that is still street legal you dd and take to the track some weekends to do HPDE? Put a roll cage in it? Carry a separate set of wheels and tires and swap the pads out at the track or trailer it?
Old 03-04-14, 07:39 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Are you talking about a dedicated track car or one that is still street legal you dd and take to the track some weekends to do HPDE? Put a roll cage in it? Carry a separate set of wheels and tires and swap the pads out at the track or trailer it?
I am looking at "one that is still street legal you dd and take to the track some weekends to do HPDE?"

Just Casually to the track for fun and do High Performance Driving Sections (carry wheels, gears, swap at the track, and Vroom......) Totally not like Dedicated Race+Track car at all
Old 03-04-14, 08:00 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Auto-cross u need a light car imo.
Get a Miata, S2000, FRS - cheap to service/fix, good gas mileage.

ISF is great as an all around car but i would not use it for track/autocross unless its a few times per year.
That is true. I recently even looked back into FR-S already modded car, as I don't need roll-cage for it in the track. But, no one know when will the mods die, and how much money and time I will have to put in
Old 03-04-14, 08:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

I'd suggest ISF is best for that, but if you are considering autocross is probably not the best choice.

Carrying a set of tires will be challenging in the IS-F along with all the other stuff you will find that you want/need (you can do it but may not be able to fit a passenger) but you should start out with street tires regardless.

Tracking a car puts all sorts of extra demands on any vehicle and things will wear out must faster and break more often. The biggest barrier to tracking a Lexus is that there are fewer aftermarket parts especially focused on track enhancements compared to other brands who have a stronger race presence. Don't let that deter you though, they're incredibly durable and capable. Just do your research.
Old 03-04-14, 08:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Also consider getting a second older car to do this with.... A BMW e30 or Miata, etc. can be a less expensive approach and if you leave your car in a guardrail at the track you won't feel so bad.
Old 03-04-14, 09:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Also consider getting a second older car to do this with.... A BMW e30 or Miata, etc. can be a less expensive approach and if you leave your car in a guardrail at the track you won't feel so bad.
That is true, but in order for a Miata to be in the track, it has to be Roll Caged >.<. Also, that is a very valid point as the Miata is much cheaper to Toy around with when it break during track time
Old 03-04-14, 09:19 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good DEDICATED track needs to be cheap to maintain, reliable, easy to work on. Mustangs, Vette's, Miata's, s2000's come to mind first.

Lexus does a lot of things well but you will have a hard time finding parts of the shelf to make your car track ready.
Old 03-04-14, 09:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Whitigir
That is true, but in order for a Miata to be in the track, it has to be Roll Caged >.<. Also, that is a very valid point as the Miata is much cheaper to Toy around with when it break during track time
Depends on the track but it's a good idea. You can buy one already set up. Consumables for them (pads and parts) are much cheaper and replacement body panels when you take an off road excursion are significantly less.

This is exactly the path we ended up going down 10 years ago when I watched my wife slide her Porsche 911 sideways through a turn at a track event. Got a 4 door e30 for track duty shortly after.