Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 02:05 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw this car at the turntable at the Philly Auto Show--it looked really nice, and went to go build it out on Buick's website when I got home. But when I pulled up the specs, I saw that the GS only has a tire inflator kit, and no spare or jack is even offered as an option. That's just a no-go for me (especially with low profile tires)--I've had 4 blowouts, and another bubbled tire, and I'm just not going to buy a car with an inflator kit...

If they add a spare as an option, though, I'm back on board...
Old 02-28-14, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Since when? They sell cars based on discounts, and their last models tried to upscale the brand and failed miserably because nobody wanted to buy expensive Opels. Both Astra and Insignia are main reasons Opel lost so much money in past 3-4 years.
In America, the reasons why Regals are currently not selling well have nothing to with them being Opel-derived. In fact, normally, being Opel-derived would tend to help them, as both the Astra and Insignia seem to be well-designed, well-built products. But the current Regal, especially in GS trim, simply doesn't have the ride comfort that many Buick shoppers are looking for. So they are either spending the same amount (or a little more) and getting a larger, more comfortable LaCrosse (but less well-built, as the LaCrosse is not Opel-derived). Or, they are spending significantly less and getting a Verano/Verano Turbo with Opel Astra quality and the same 2.5L Turbo engine that is in the Regal GS. Veranos start in the low 20s....far below even the lowest-price Regals....and even relatively well-equipped turbos rarely run much more than 30K. Buick could probably move more Regals out the door if they softened up the tires and suspension of the base versions (which are still too stiff for Buick traditionalists) and left the GS to the hard-core sports-sedan crowd. But, if the base Regal's underpinnings were softened and it did pick up more of the Buick traditionalists, that would probably take away from LaCrosse sales....so the Buick marketers are in a quandry there.

Both Road & Track and Car & Driver magazines, though (not suprisingly), have been very pleased with the Regal GS in their long-term, 4-seasons tests. Both magazines have called it the best Buick (to their admittedly sport-oriented tastes) that they have ever driven.....overall, better than even the long-lamented Grand National/GNX of the 1980s. So, for the sport-sedan crowd, the GS does seem to be right on the mark.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-28-14, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But when I pulled up the specs, I saw that the GS only has a tire inflator kit, and no spare or jack is even offered as an option. That's just a no-go for me (especially with low profile tires)--I've had 4 blowouts, and another bubbled tire, and I'm just not going to buy a car with an inflator kit...

If they add a spare as an option, though, I'm back on board...
Yes, I agree that can be annoying, and I don't blame you one bit for your attitude here. I mention, in my auto reviews, when a vehicle does not include a (proper) full-size tire/wheel and, like most vehicles these days, except for some off-roaders, instead uses run-flat tires (which are only good for about 50 miles at low speeds), a temporary/donut spare, or a Fix-a-Flat compressed-air bottle. Bummer.

Automakers say (at least in public), that they do this for weight/space savings in the trunk, allowing more cargo to be carried and the car to be lighter, but I simply don't buy that line. That may, indeed, be a secondary reason of deleting the traditional spare tire (and, in some cases, its mounting jack/lug wrench). But you can bet the monthly rent that main reason for deleting it was cost-cutting. Smooth-talking from the marketers can't hide that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-28-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 10:27 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree that can be annoying, and I don't blame you one bit for your attitude here. I mention, in my auto reviews, when a vehicle does not include a (proper) full-size tire/wheel and, like most vehicles these days, except for some off-roaders, instead uses run-flat tires (which are only good for about 50 miles at low speeds), a temporary/donut spare, or a Fix-a-Flat compressed-air bottle. Bummer. Automakers say (at least in public), that they do this for weight/space savings in the trunk, allowing more cargo to be carried and the car to be lighter, but I simply don't buy that line. That may, indeed, be a secondary reason of deleting the traditional spare tire (and, in some cases, its mounting jack/lug wrench). But you can bet the monthly rent that main reason for deleting it was cost-cutting. Smooth-talking from the marketers can't hide that.
I know the spare is a sore point in your reviews. Frankly, I'm perfectly fine with a temp spare--I'd rather have more trunk room. I'm even ok with the fact that it's due to cost cutting--but just let me get it as an option or accessory.
Old 03-01-14, 03:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I know the spare is a sore point in your reviews. Frankly, I'm perfectly fine with a temp spare--I'd rather have more trunk room. I'm even ok with the fact that it's due to cost cutting--but just let me get it as an option or accessory.
Do like the old Impalas/Caprice Classics - tire in the trunk!

Realistically, for me though, I'm almost with you, run flats/lack of a spare tire may not a deal breaker but is a major negative.
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2014 Buick Regal GS AWD-0_74_cap_hardtop_trunk_a.jpg  
Old 10-10-14, 07:12 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review Finds New Opel / Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer an Average Proposition

Know as the Buick Regal in the US

If don’t like SUVs or don’t like to be seen driving one, jacked-up estate models are at least as good, since they’re as practical and offer superior handling characteristics.

Sure, SUV fans will say that a raised estate is not as good off-road, but how many SUV drivers do take their vehicles on rough terrain? Having sorted this dilemma, the market offers a lot of choices for European customers, and the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer is one of the newest.

CarBuyer drove a UK-spec model and came to mostly positive conclusions: it’s spacious and practical, comfortable to drive and well-equipped. However, its boot is smaller than what competitors like the VW Passat Alltrack and Skoda Superb Outdoor have to offer.

Furthermore, Mat Watson recommends buyers to get the 4x4 system only if they need it, because it affects fuel economy. Scroll down to see what else he had to say about the Insignia Country Tourer.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/rev...-insignia.html