Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I did the unthinkable

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 07:46 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

congratz on that 550... i contemplated and was up in the air considering the 460 and the 550... for about 5 minutes. IMO there is just too much tech in that 550, i guess after you drive her for a while it will become second nature and you won't be as distracted with the tech laden cabin. it's a sexy car, i like it but... i guess time will tell. can't say i'll never buy one... but for now the LS gives me everything i need, and then some.
Old 02-27-14, 08:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
congratz on that 550... i contemplated and was up in the air considering the 460 and the 550... for about 5 minutes. IMO there is just too much tech in that 550, i guess after you drive her for a while it will become second nature and you won't be as distracted with the tech laden cabin. it's a sexy car, i like it but... i guess time will tell. can't say i'll never buy one... but for now the LS gives me everything i need, and then some.
Another concern I'd have is that this is a first year model. History shows this to be a very bad thing with European vehicles especially. But again, with a warranty, I wouldn't be quite as concerned.
Old 02-27-14, 08:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Another concern I'd have is that this is a first year model. History shows this to be a very bad thing with European vehicles especially. But again, with a warranty, I wouldn't be quite as concerned.
This car has been so long in the making for MB, and its so important to the brand I wouldn't be worried...
Old 02-27-14, 10:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

congrats buddy. The S550 is the automotive valedictorian. Its is the best for tech . Not even a RR can touch the tech in an S class
Old 02-27-14, 10:32 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The new S550 is a fabulous car, best in the segment no question. Enjoy it and post pics.

BUT...to be fair and realistic...the cost of an LS460 is not "almost as much" as an S550. The S550 is a very expensive car, the most expensive non-exotic luxury flagship by far.

An LS460L starts at $78,440. An LS460L AWD starts at $81,925.

An S550 starts at $92,900 ($14,500 more than an LS460L), An AWD S550 is $96,825 ($14,900 more than AWD LS460L). The S550 is 18% more expensive than the LS460L...when you consider the fact that for most of us, the LS460 is more than enough space and we don't need or want the "L"...the S550 is MUCH more money.

If I option an LS460L AWD with everything but executive seating, I get to a price of $102,031. If I option an S550 to be similar to that LS in equipment I get it to $115,415. The delta there is $13,384...which is still a 13% difference.

When you bear in mind that very few LS460s are sold as "Ls" to begin with, and of those very few are sold that highly optioned...while the BASE price of an AWD S550 approaches $96k, so its fair to say a large % of S550s are over $100k...theres just no way around the S550 being a significantly more expensive car...superior no doubt...but you're paying for it.
Ok, here is my situation: First of all, I absolutely have to have AWD. Yes, you are correct when you said the cost of the LS460L with all the options except for the executive is $102,031. The S550 I ordered came out to $108,745. It has Premium 1, 4Matic, Driver Assistant package, Surround View, Air Balance, Night Vision Plus, heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats. After the dealer gave me a $4,500 discount, my cost came down $104,245. To me, that's almost as much as it would have cost me to get the LS460L with all the options I want. Now, when I consider, that the LS does not have all the goodies/incredible technology of the S550, made it a "no brainer" for me.
Old 02-27-14, 10:36 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
congrats buddy. The S550 is the automotive valedictorian. Its is the best for tech . Not even a RR can touch the tech in an S class
Thank you! I also agree that it even beats the RR and the Bentley when it comes to technology.
Old 02-27-14, 10:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

while it's true that ls460 has swb which is substantially cheaper than the s550, but it's simply not apple to apple so it shouldn't even be looked at. otherwise someone will argue that whatever the sales numbers of the LS is every month, one should take a deep discount on that number against the s class because majority is swb

and back to the new s550, while no doubt it's more expensive than the ls460l, it's price is actually not much of a change from the w221 at all, which i think is quite fantastic. and that's with a lot of cool new standard features and gadgets. dual screens, color changing ambient lighting, etc... i do think the s550 is more of a car than the 2014 ls460l, but i do have my concern on first year model
Old 02-27-14, 11:19 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Romin, I read somewhere that the base price of the W222 is actually a $couple thousand less than the W221.
Old 02-27-14, 11:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Wink

This car has been so long in the making for MB, and its so important to the brand I wouldn't be worried...
Uhhh....and the 7series flagship was (and is) to BMW. But go look at the 2002 redesign of that model year and see what horrific experiences people (like me with my 03), had with THAT first model year. I'm not saying that this MB will suffer the same fate, but it's something to consider. And it's not unique to BMW....look at redesigns of Cadillac's, Jags, etc. Heck, look at this forum and what some members consider of the 07 LS.
Old 02-27-14, 12:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Uhhh....and the 7series flagship was (and is) to BMW. But go look at the 2002 redesign of that model year and see what horrific experiences people (like me with my 03), had with THAT first model year. I'm not saying that this MB will suffer the same fate, but it's something to consider. And it's not unique to BMW....look at redesigns of Cadillac's, Jags, etc. Heck, look at this forum and what some members consider of the 07 LS.
the w220 s class, when debut in 2001, was as disastrous as one could be too. problems left and right and owners were so disappointed some of them went back to w140. a lot of lessons learned for sure
Old 02-27-14, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
Ok, here is my situation: First of all, I absolutely have to have AWD. Yes, you are correct when you said the cost of the LS460L with all the options except for the executive is $102,031. The S550 I ordered came out to $108,745. It has Premium 1, 4Matic, Driver Assistant package, Surround View, Air Balance, Night Vision Plus, heated steering wheel, and heated rear seats. After the dealer gave me a $4,500 discount, my cost came down $104,245. To me, that's almost as much as it would have cost me to get the LS460L with all the options I want. Now, when I consider, that the LS does not have all the goodies/incredible technology of the S550, made it a "no brainer" for me.
You just have to understand that:

1. The MB at $108,745 is lacking some options that you are optioning in the LS. Not to say the MB doesn't have more features, it does...but if you go through and reduce the LS feature for feature, it keeps about a $14k gap.

2. Yes MB gave you $4,500 off the S550, but Lexus would have probably given you $10k off that LS460L.

So...the difference is still $15-$20k...and thats the LS460L. If you stick with the LS460, which is probably 95% of LS's sold...the gap is huge...the S550 is just a much more expensive car. You make it sound like a paltry difference, and its not.

I'm not saying the S550 isn't worth that, but I have a hard time assigning the term "good value" to a $110,000 car, and I have a hard tome considering $15-20k a trivial difference.

2002 was 14 years ago...look at the latest BMW 7 Series redesign...no glaring issues. No gaping issues when the S550 was introduced in 07....

I would say the S Class is much more important to MB than the 7 is to BMW. The S Class is the embodiment of what MB is...the 7 series isn't that to BMW.
Old 02-27-14, 02:34 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I have to agree with SW13GS. You can't compare the discounted price of one vehicle with the MSRP of another vehicle. With the exception of a few certain cars, nobody pays MSRP for a car. While some paid a premium for the LS460 when the 2007 models first debuted, only an idiot would pay MSRP for a LS460 today. Certainly it depends on the market you live in, but here in the Boston area with all the dealers, you could get considerably more than $4500 off MSRP today (certainly double if you are a good negotiator).

SW13GS is also correct that you are getting more in the LS fully loaded than the S550 as yours is configured, although I will concede it is hard to do an apples to apples comparison. The S550 certainly offers some advantages both tangible (Night Vision) and intangible (handling) than the LS. However, I can't believe the sound system equals the ML system (tangible) or that reliability and maintenance (intangible) measure up to the LS.

All that being said, I for one am jealous. I would love to drive that car. I don't even want to go to a MB dealer and be unduly tempted!
Old 02-27-14, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a fabulous car, no doubt. What color combo did you get Pats?
Old 02-27-14, 02:58 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

1. Not to be augmentative but, other than some rear seat refinement, what other options am I lacking on the S550 than what I assigned to the LS? In fact, I can name you some neat options on my S550 configuration that are not available on the LS. Does the LS come with Air Balance package, Surround View System, automatic drying and torque vectoring breaks (standard feature), Cross wind minimizer (standard), driving itself option in the city traffic, advanced keep lane assist on the highway, Advanced blind spot monitor, ADAPTIVE (not sure if the LS is adaptive) high beam assist, Advanced Night Vision assist, magic vision windshield wipers (standard), 7 colors to chose for interior lighting, hot stone massaging front seats? There are probably other standard or optional features on my configuration that I can't even remember, but I think you get the point.

2. Yes, you are probably correct. I'm sure I would have gotten a discount on the new LS, but how much of a discount is the question.

In any case, I'm not trying to say that the LS is not a good car. It is very reliable and a very good car. But in trying to compare apples with apples, I think I am getting a better car in the S550 for the money I am paying.

Last edited by PatsSoxfan; 02-27-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 03:02 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Its a fabulous car, no doubt. What color combo did you get Pats?
Mine has an iridium silver metallic exterior with a black interior and burl walnut trim.

Quick Reply: I did the unthinkable