Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Difficulties getting a loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 10:28 AM
LexFather

It depends, sometimes they are out of loaners on certain days, its happened to me and I just waited. The excuses given are just that, excuses so maybe you should take your business elsewhere if possible. It does help to call and schedule a loaner in advance.

And the sad fact is some dealerships do give people a harder time that did not buy the car from there.

Old 02-20-14, 05:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do consider a written guarantee that they will provide me a loaner as exactly that - an enticement to get my service. No boxing in. I can take my car to one of the other area dealers if I want. But this puts the dealership on the hook to provide me with a loaner for any service over 2 hours, or otherwise provide me with a free shuttle service. Works for me!
What you described sounds more like a disclaimer than a guarantee (did it say somewhere in there that the dealership has the right to change or discontinue the program at any time?), but if you are happy with it, that's what counts.
Old 02-20-14, 06:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What you described sounds more like a disclaimer than a guarantee (did it say somewhere in there that the dealership has the right to change or discontinue the program at any time?), but if you are happy with it, that's what counts.
I consider it a guarantee. I just discussed the points that are the disclaimers, because those are the parts relevant to this thread. Apologies if I mislead. Just wanted to point out to the OP that there are disclaimers and he should look into what they are, as they may explain his difficulties in getting a loaner.

It would be naive to think there are no disclaimers on the loaner cars, whether you receive it in a written agreement or not. I prefer to have them up front when I buy the car, so I know exactly what to expect, and can hold the dealership to those requirements if needed. I appreciate how up front that is and would rather not learn of all the conditions while I'm standing at the dealer, having dropped off my car, trying to get to work before I am late.
Old 02-20-14, 09:11 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my sis' 2012 RX350 had the same audio issues and needed an amp replacement as well...I inquired on the loaner and they advised that since it's a short service job, the loaner is unlikely to happen and they'll schedule a time when we are completely free to complete the amp swap.

when I took in the car for the service, I was there for 1-2 hours max...including the wash/vacuum, so it's not too bad.

however, if it's that necessary for your sis to have a loaner due to downtime and so forth, I'd ask the advisor to speak to the manager and expressing your/her concerns...they'll set up a time and provide a loaner, i'm sure
Old 02-20-14, 09:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like you need to go to another dealership. I have had lunch near the dealership and dropped my car off for a car wash and took a loner to lunch. In AZ we get loaners no matter what. Unlike some other "premium" brands that only give you a loaner if the car is in for days or something major. Thats why I keep buying Lexus vehicles
Old 02-21-14, 05:22 PM
rustytank
Rookie

* Update:
I got a call from the dealer today saying the amp has arrived. Its only been 3 days so this confirms the general manager's bull**** about not giving out the loaner because the part would take 2 weeks to arrive...
Old 02-21-14, 05:25 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Sounds like you need to go to another dealership.
Yep... Definitely done with this dealer for sure.
Old 02-21-14, 05:28 PM
rustytank
Rookie

Originally Posted by baddis es
my sis' 2012 RX350 had the same audio issues and needed an amp replacement as well...I inquired on the loaner and they advised that since it's a short service job, the loaner is unlikely to happen and they'll schedule a time when we are completely free to complete the amp swap.

when I took in the car for the service, I was there for 1-2 hours max...including the wash/vacuum, so it's not too bad.

however, if it's that necessary for your sis to have a loaner due to downtime and so forth, I'd ask the advisor to speak to the manager and expressing your/her concerns...they'll set up a time and provide a loaner, i'm sure
If they were honest and told us it would take a short time, i wouldn't mind the wait... What bothered me was them turning down loaner twice with lame bs and making us to have make 3 trips to drop off the car.
Old 02-21-14, 07:23 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I've never gotten a loaner. But ive never made an appointment so i guess i cant expect much.
Old 02-22-14, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

This has certainly not been my experience with loaners. I've had Lexus vehicles serviced at several different dealers and its always been the same. I've always been given a loaner for EVERY service. Even just an oil change. Back when I used the dealer I would routinely drop the car off the night before and get a loaner and pick it up after work the next day. Even for older Lexus vehicles out of warranty...no problem.

No issue with whether or not I bought the car there, and I have never signed anything pertaining to loaners when buying/leasing a Lexus vehicle...and I've had 5.

Hell, one time with the GS they had to order the parts to do the trunk TSB and they suggested I just stay in the loaner while the parts arrived in 3-5 days. I actually requested the car back because I wanted my car.

New dealer time.
Old 02-22-14, 02:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rustytank
If they were honest and told us it would take a short time, i wouldn't mind the wait... What bothered me was them turning down loaner twice with lame bs and making us to have make 3 trips to drop off the car.
3 trips for the same service without a loaner is just unacceptable for a Lexus dealer, in my book. I used to have an Acura TL, and was having audio system issues. Dropped it off, and hopped the train at the station next to the dealer -- so I didn't even need a loaner. But at the end of the day, when they say "Yup, car's ready" the problem wasn't fixed. After the second trip there, I told them to give me a loaner, and they can keep my car as long as they need to figure out the problem, and call me when it's fixed. And they agreed.