Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First BMW and now Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 11:47 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First BMW and now Ferrari

Many years ago BMW said they would never put a turbo on any of their M cars to compete with AMG that had started putting turbos on their AMG cars. Fast forward some years and all the cars in BMW's lineup has a turbo.

Then Luca from Ferrari said we would never see a Ferrari with a turbo and what do we see today? A turbo California. I love the car and love the use of turbos. Turbo tech has come a long way from when they were used in the 90's. I think Luca just now introduced the turbo Ferrari engine because F1 is going turbo at the start of this season so I'm guessing he feels it'll be a little easier for their target market to accept if F1 is doing it.

BTW, the California is beeeee-u-tiiiii-fulllllllllll!
Old 02-12-14, 12:31 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never say never... They also so said no M7, but guess whats in the pipeline?
Old 02-12-14, 01:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Ferrari had turbo's with the GTO and F40, it is not too surprising they are will be doing turbo's in the future.

BMW was a surprise going all turbo, especially after they criticized turbo's for so long and were so pro Naturally Aspirated for so long. I would still love to see what BMW would have done with a NA 3.4 or 3.5 liter inline six in their current lineup and kept the cars more sporty, the current 5 series/M5 is getting a lot of criticism with how soft it has gone, the 3 series is getting its share of criticism too and they are no longer dominating. It will be interesting to see what they do with the next generation of cars if they go back to sporty or keep them softer, they are certainly not having any problems selling their current lineup of sedans.