Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 11:45 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed

Sweet troll post.
Agreed. Chrysler is a significantly different company than it was when the avenger was last redesigned.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-19-14, 12:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Mazdas are awful tempting, I have to tell you. I'm going to be shopping for a late-model car in the next few months and both the 3 and 6 are on my list.
I'll be at the D.C Auto Show later this week and next week, Brett. Do you want me to see if Mazda has any plans for a new turbo and/or AWD MazdaSpeed3 or 6? Or are your plans strictly for a used/CPO 3 or 6?

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 07:00 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll be at the D.C Auto Show later week and next week, Brett. Do you want me to see if Mazda has any plans for a new turbo and/or AWD MazdaSpeed3 or 6? Or are your plans strictly for a used/CPO 3 or 6?
Yes, please keep us informed if there is gonna be a mazdaspeed3 or mazdaspeed6. I really like my speed3 and hope they bring another speed3 in the future. Hopefully they still keep it turbocharged.
Old 01-19-14, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Yes, please keep us informed if there is gonna be a mazdaspeed3 or mazdaspeed6. I really like my speed3 and hope they bring another speed3 in the future. Hopefully they still keep it turbocharged.

Will do. The last MazdaSpeed3, though, had so much potential torque steer from the FWD turbo that the engine's computer had to retard the power in the lower two gears to keep the steering wheel from being yanked right out of one's hands.
Old 01-19-14, 09:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Just saw this thread and cant say I will miss it. It was an eye sore at best. One of the ugliest cars on the road currently I think. Everything about the car exudes cheapness. The interior to the exterior. Even the faked pumped up fenders reminds me of a poser trying to look the part of something he is clearly not.
Old 01-20-14, 06:56 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet troll post.
Thanks!!
Old 01-20-14, 08:27 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'll be at the D.C Auto Show later this week and next week, Brett. Do you want me to see if Mazda has any plans for a new turbo and/or AWD MazdaSpeed3 or 6? Or are your plans strictly for a used/CPO 3 or 6?
If you're already going to be talking to them, then sure, I'll take the info. Don't go out of your way though just for me, since I probably won't be buying anything brand new. I should probably hold off on sporty cars until i've passed 25....you know..for insurance reasons....
Old 01-20-14, 09:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So Dodge is just giving up on the mid-sized family car segment (since they haven't had a competitive car since the K)?
Old 01-20-14, 10:04 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why is it that Chrysler Corporation holds the trophy for stupid car names? "Challenger" was a tragic naming mistake, and "Charger" - although an homage to the "Dukes" model of '68 - '69, is just odd. Call it the "General Lee Edition" and they'd sell like flyswatters in August down South. Somebody missed the marketing boat with the "Avenger's" competitors in the mid-size suburban market. Neither Ford nor Chevy brought out a "Justice League".
Old 01-20-14, 11:07 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one for a rental. those really are a POS!
Old 01-20-14, 10:44 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, how many of these things do they sell in Europe? Less than 10 units a month? xD
Old 01-21-14, 02:12 AM
LexFather

Sweet troll post.
Should I link the giant dumbass thread from the car lounge about the RC F? 99% talk about looks and 1% about performance.

Let's not go there, he's entitled to his opinion and bias.

Old 01-21-14, 03:18 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Yep, that was THE WORST rental car I've ever had.

The engine was PATHETIC, and had no power below 5000rpm, and the wide-ratio 4-speed automatic in fleet versions pretty much ensured that you would NEVER get anywhere at any reasonable velocity. To make a pass at highway speeds, there was no power in 4th, and still no power with a kickdown to 3rd. Needed to get all the way down to 2nd, if you could, to have what I would consider to be "basic" maneuvering power. At least retail versions had a 6-speed auto, which might have helped a bit. Everything else about the car sucked, too. The people who signed off on this design are idiots. Worst car ever.

I hate when automakers play this "fleet/rental car special" game. Say somebody rents your car, they get an inferior version of what you offer the normal guy who buys one. So therefore, your car sucks ***, even though the version you are trying to sell to that same guy who rented one is vastly superior.

Give everybody the same car, don't cheap out. IMO a rental car should not be a punishment due to economics, it should be a way to showcase how awesome your car is.

If somebody has a favorable impression with the car they rented, they will talk about it, tell their friends that the Ford Fusion is a good car. If they rented the cheap bastard Dodge Avenger with the 4 speed autobox/base 4 cylinder that you can't even buy retail, they'll say your car sucks, avoid it like the plauge. Even though that same car with the 6 speed auto/pentastar V6 has 110 more horsepower and about a 1-2mpg fuel economy penalty, and will cost you about $2000 more than the suck *** 4 cylinder car.
Old 01-21-14, 05:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Should I link the giant dumbass thread from the car lounge about the RC F? 99% talk about looks and 1% about performance.

Let's not go there, he's entitled to his opinion and bias.
TCL is a troll forum, I'm in Car Chat right now. If I went into the RCF thread here and said "durr the dynamics of this car will suck because Lexus" I would be accosted. But I digress...