Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 12:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-way-200.html

Dodge is discontinuing the Avenger, making way for the new Chrysler 200 to be the lone midsize sedan for the Chrysler group.

According to The Truth About Cars, sales of the Avenger will finish before the end of the 2014. Chrysler has previously said that it it wants to move away from having sister vehicles at more than one brand to reduce model overlap, and now that the 200 has been refreshed, it’s time for the Avenger to go.

“There is not an Avenger version of the new 200 planned,” confirms Kathy Graham, product PR manager for the Chrysler Group. “The 2014 MY (model year) Dodge Avenger started production in July, 2013 and is scheduled to end in Q1 2014,” she said.

Getting rid of the Avenger will also clear the way for the Dart, as sales of the compact Dodge have not been all that strong. One of the reasons for this is the great financing deals being given on the Avenger, providing an easy upsell for dealers as customers get more car for the same, or less money.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...00-can-thrive/

Dodge Avenger Dies So Dart, 200 Can Thrive
By Derek Kreindler on January 15, 2014

The launch of the Chrysler 200 means Chrysler has to make some decisions about its future; and the most likely course of action for them is to kill off the Dodge Avenger, right away.

Sources tell TTAC that the Avenger will die rather soon. Expect sales to wrap up before the end of 2014. There will be no replacement, nor will the Avenger be transitioned to fleet-only duty, like the W-Body Chevrolet Impala – meaning our EIC pro tem will be out of luck at the rental counter.

Even though the Avenger’s R&D has long been paid for, its mere existence continues to cause headaches for Chrysler. Prevailing wisdom holds that the larger, cheaper and vastly more powerful Avenger has been cannibalizing sales of the Dart. Chrysler has previously stated that only one mid-size sedan will live on in its future product plans, so this shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Absolutely NO ONE will miss this crapmobile......except maybe for Avis/Hertz/Enterprise
Old 01-16-14, 12:21 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Best review EVER on it. NSFW language. (...it has less inertia than the first Bush administration.)

Old 01-16-14, 12:51 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh goodness, my mom had this as a rental when her V6 Camry got totalled in an accident.

It was such a horrible car.
Old 01-16-14, 01:02 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, that was THE WORST rental car I've ever had.

The engine was PATHETIC, and had no power below 5000rpm, and the wide-ratio 4-speed automatic in fleet versions pretty much ensured that you would NEVER get anywhere at any reasonable velocity. To make a pass at highway speeds, there was no power in 4th, and still no power with a kickdown to 3rd. Needed to get all the way down to 2nd, if you could, to have what I would consider to be "basic" maneuvering power. At least retail versions had a 6-speed auto, which might have helped a bit. Everything else about the car sucked, too. The people who signed off on this design are idiots. Worst car ever.
Old 01-16-14, 01:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I have never been in one, can't speak as to their quality. Won't miss it.

I wish GM would catch a hint and do the same to GMC.
Old 01-16-14, 01:15 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I have never been in one, can't speak as to their quality. Won't miss it.

I wish GM would catch a hint and do the same to GMC.
That would be a bad move. Despite the brand overlap, GMC is very profitable; it actually has a loyal buyer set that just loves getting upsold on Denali models.
Old 01-16-14, 01:15 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That review hit the nail on the head. What a POS car. Owning this car is the life equivalent of selling all your jeans and replacing them with sweat pants. It is truly a car for people that don't want to drive a car. Will not be missed!
Old 01-16-14, 01:23 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

good riddance
Old 01-16-14, 01:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
That review hit the nail on the head. What a POS car. Owning this car is the life equivalent of selling all your jeans and replacing them with sweat pants. It is truly a car for people that don't want to drive a car. Will not be missed!
Whilst I agree with you and am not at all drawn to this car, I daresay that this segment is a segment for people who don't want to drive a car. Mid-size sedans? Not a big enthusiast market IMO.
Old 01-16-14, 02:15 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Whilst I agree with you and am not at all drawn to this car, I daresay that this segment is a segment for people who don't want to drive a car. Mid-size sedans? Not a big enthusiast market IMO.
I know, I know. I guess since I'm a car guy I can't understand why anybody with such a broad choice of possible vehicles would point there finger in the direction of a Dodge store and say "Lets go there! They sell mediocre, boring, un-sporty FWD cars, and I want one!" i guess to each his own.
Old 01-16-14, 02:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great title... "you will definitely not be missed"...
Old 01-16-14, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I really hope Chrysler uses what they learned from this new 200 and makes a Avenger replacement. This is a very lucrative segment
Old 01-16-14, 06:24 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously the biggest piece of **** on the road. I will celebrate the day the last one is rolled off the line.
Old 01-16-14, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
You will NOT be missed
Ordinarily I would say speak for yourself, but, considering how unimpressive this car is (or rather, was), you're certainly not alone with that view. It's hard to disagree with you. I DID, however, find the Avenger maybe one step above its slightly smaller Dodge Caliber brother....but that, of course, still isn't saying much.

And, of course, it's not stretching it to say that the Avenger was one of the classic symbols of the old (pre-buyout)Chrysler Corporation, not what we're seeing today. What we're seeing today from Chrysler has been virtually a complete resurrection, though the new Dart could admittedly use a little more refinement, which I'll touch on a little more just below.

Getting rid of the Avenger will also clear the way for the Dart, as sales of the compact Dodge have not been all that strong. One of the reasons for this is the great financing deals being given on the Avenger, providing an easy upsell for dealers as customers get more car for the same, or less money.
I don't think it's been Avenger deals that have been holding back sales of the Dart. The Dart, compared to the Avenger, though slightly smaller, is overall, much better car...especially in fit/finish, material quality, and how well it is assembled at the factory. But the Dart, nice as it is overall, still needs some more polishing and refinement under the hood with its powertrains. Dodge, like Ford with the new Focus and Fiesta, has not gone a particularly good job of integrating the Dart's manual and twin-clutch DSG transmissions to either of the somewhat underpowered, Fiat-sourced Multiair engines.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-14 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 08:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think it's been Avenger deals that have been holding back sales of the Dart. The Dart, compared to the Avenger, though slightly smaller, is overall, much better car...especially in fit/finish, material quality, and how well it is assembled at the factory. But the Dart, nice as it is overall, still needs some more polishing and refinement under the hood with its powertrains. Dodge, like Ford with the new Focus and Fiesta, has not gone a particularly good job of integrating the Dart's manual and twin-clutch DSG transmissions to either of the somewhat underpowered, Fiat-sourced Multiair engines.
The Avenger has absolutely been cutting into Dart sales. Dealers and insiders on the allpar forums have acknowledged that's the case. People shopping for just a car see that the Avenger is bigger and available at a rock bottom price.

Any time you have two cars priced right on top of each other in the same showroom you're going to have problems.

Quick Reply: RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed