Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Infiniti Flagship Models to Sport as Much as 600 HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 05:50 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New Infiniti Flagship Models to Sport as Much as 600 HP

Infiniti plans on launching two flagship models, both of which will feature powertrains with as much as 600 hp.

The Japanese automaker will produce a high-performance flagship that’s positioned well above the Q70 while the other will be a halo high-performance car for the brand. So expect one to seat four while the other will be a dedicated sports car for Infiniti.

As for what the flagships will resemble, don’t expect the automaker to bring production versions of its Emerg-E and Essence to the market. According to Infiniti CEO Johan de Nysschen, the flagships won’t be midengined like the Emerg-E and they won’t be hybrids. Since the powertrain has to be used in more than one car to reduce costs, the automaker is opting not to make them mid-engined.

Infiniti plans on launching two major models every year from 2016 to 2019. Expect the first of those major models to be the Q30.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ch-600-hp.html
Old 01-16-14, 07:18 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool! Guessing they're probably going to be using the GT-R powertrain.
Old 01-16-14, 08:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

probably a turbo 5.0 or 5.6
Old 01-16-14, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

A Q90 flagship would be a welcome addition, as would a halo super car for them
Old 01-16-14, 10:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very exciting...Infiniti needs this, as well as serious revamps of the FX and EX (not sure what their QX designations are now).
Old 01-16-14, 10:10 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Very exciting...Infiniti needs this, as well as serious revamps of the FX and EX (not sure what their QX designations are now).
QX50 (EX) and QX70 (FX)
Old 01-16-14, 11:21 AM
Orzel
Lead Lap

This should be interesting, will be following the new model launches closely!
Old 01-16-14, 11:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I like what I'm hearing.
Old 01-16-14, 11:56 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard a lot of talk about a flagship Infiniti for the last 8 or so years with nothing to show.
Old 01-16-14, 12:59 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'll believe it when I see it. We've heard a lot of talk about a flagship Infiniti for the last 8 or so years with nothing to show.
Yeah but mostly from internet chatter, not from Infiniti itself. They've always been very mum on the subject of a range topping sedan. For many years they said they have no plans for such a model. This is the first time since the Q45 that they've gone on record and said they plan to do it.
Old 01-16-14, 03:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Originally Posted by speedflex
Yeah but mostly from internet chatter, not from Infiniti itself. They've always been very mum on the subject of a range topping sedan. For many years they said they have no plans for such a model. This is the first time since the Q45 that they've gone on record and said they plan to do it.
Yup. I had a 1995 Q45a (a for active suspension) which was one of my all time favorite cars. I held off buying my LS460 hoping that Infiniti would re-introduce the Q45 after discontinuing it. I think they just don't see themselves entering a car in that market niche.
Old 01-16-14, 03:32 PM
LexFather

As stated they just need to expand and be quiet. Seems since the new Audi guy took over we get hot air press releases and leaks.

They have to become profitable quickly or there maybe no products coming.

Old 01-16-14, 03:56 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexFather
As stated they just need to expand and be quiet. Seems since the new Audi guy took over we get hot air press releases and leaks.

that's just it though, it was never their nomenclature, but rather lackluster marketing and the product itself. 4 SUVs and 2 Sedans, the lack of a true flagship, niche styling etc.. all contributes to poor sales.

I read that Tesla outsold Infiniti in December. Not surprising since in my area there are Model S's left and right and I've spotted two Q50s on the road since it's launch. My dealer even sold our Infiniti franchise because it was doing so poorly.

Infiniti has something with this new design language, but the need product, product, product, powertrains, product, working technology and more product.
Old 01-16-14, 04:24 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

Well the Q30 is coming in the next year, then the QX50 replacement. So they have some stuff coming...not a moment too soon though.
Old 01-16-14, 04:29 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
that's just it though, it was never their nomenclature, but rather lackluster marketing and the product itself. 4 SUVs and 2 Sedans, the lack of a true flagship, niche styling etc.. all contributes to poor sales.

I read that Tesla outsold Infiniti in December. Not surprising since in my area there are Model S's left and right and I've spotted two Q50s on the road since it's launch. My dealer even sold our Infiniti franchise because it was doing so poorly.

Infiniti has something with this new design language, but the need product, product, product, powertrains, product, working technology and more product.
Depends on the market. Infiniti sells a buttload of JX and QX in Texas, and the south in general. The Sewell dealer in Houston specifically does extremely well.

The point of a high-performance car is to bring warm bodies into the dealership that you can sell another car. Infiniti, right now, only brings in suburban housewives. There is nothing that men would get excited about (and I mean something like an F car, M, AMG, S/RS, V, etc).

Infiniti has a deal to use MB engines... I wonder if this is an application where we'll see one.

Quick Reply: New Infiniti Flagship Models to Sport as Much as 600 HP