Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2013 Lexus GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
So what we have is a design, packaging, and marketing 101 fail.
LOL, whatever you say.

They're just headlights.
Old 01-19-14, 08:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

GS450h is just too pricey, making it even pricier would not help sales... i am sure next version of the system will be made to be more affordable.

We have GS450h F-Sport Premium, which has everything and it barely sells because it is too expensive.

GS300h is a LOT cheaper car. It is actually affordable and great move by Lexus.
Old 01-19-14, 10:26 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GS450h is just too pricey, making it even pricier would not help sales... i am sure next version of the system will be made to be more affordable.

We have GS450h F-Sport Premium, which has everything and it barely sells because it is too expensive.

As you say though, the GS300h is slow.

I'd personally say bite the bullet, charge around $64K for the GS450h and up the marketing and get the awareness out. I'd be curious as to what the profit margin is on these. Surely if it was negative they may be able to counter with more units sold
Old 01-20-14, 02:47 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
So what we have is a design, packaging, and marketing 101 fail.
Or post fail? So Lexus should advertise a feature that was only available on a GS that makes up 2% of sales?

FYI don't confuse marketing with advertising.

Then to insult the 98% of GS cars really is a great move on your part. Keep it up.

Old 01-20-14, 05:57 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

What bothers me the most is that I can't get a GSh (or a GS350 AWD in that case) with Mark Levinson in my region, yet when I search back in CA, I can find a good amount on the lots. PITA
Old 01-20-14, 06:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

I'm sure they could have made it cheaper, like I said before there is no way the hybrid technology can have a spread of $10,000 almost a decade after it debuted with that exact same pricing spread between ICE and Hybrid. Maybe Lexus is aware that 450h is ultra niche and decides to actually make as much as profit as they can of it. We'll never know and who cares when 300h is available now

As far as the HID projectors go, yeah they are subpar design wise especially because long rectangular housing doesn't make sense for a single projector. You can tell Lexus designed the headlight cluster to accommodate LED setup. If you go ahead and look at the previous cars with rectangular headlights you will most likely find none that have only single light output source within the cluster, either they are bi-projector or projector/halogen combos.

Its an odd marketing decision not to have LED setup (which properly accommodates headlight cluster) even as an option across the range and once again keep it exclusive to Hybrid at least in US and EU. It was a flawed reasoning within corporate which thankfully got dropped by introduction of new IS.

In my opinion GS is the best car Lexus has and the best car in mid-size luxury segment hands down. The way they packaged the car, ergonomics, interior design, the way it behaves on road it owns executive adjective But that is not to say that it's perfect. It's weakest link is it's looks especially in non F-sport trim and I would put headlights in that basket as well cause headlight design lags the competition that went full crazy LED setup that even surpasses current GS LED design as well. But again it took some time for Lexus to shake up its remaining design conservative core and introduce proper LED cluster replacement in RC. Which to me looks like the best LED setup currently on the market, its not all over the place like Audi, its more signature than MB and unlike BMW it actually looks like contemporary LED setup.

Now one thing GS needs is proper facelift a la IS and we just might have the perfect midsize luxury automobile
Old 01-20-14, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
As far as the HID projectors go, yeah they are subpar design wise especially because long rectangular housing doesn't make sense for a single projector. You can tell Lexus designed the headlight cluster to accommodate LED setup. If you go ahead and look at the previous cars with rectangular headlights you will most likely find none that have only single light output source within the cluster, either they are bi-projector or projector/halogen combos.
I can think of plenty of cars with long rectangular headlamp housings and a single projector. Its a question of styling, styling trends haven't caught up to smaller housings yet, they're getting there.
Old 02-02-14, 01:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
What bothers me the most is that I can't get a GSh (or a GS350 AWD in that case) with Mark Levinson in my region, yet when I search back in CA, I can find a good amount on the lots. PITA
Don't get me started on the regional packaging. If it's an option, then it should be available and not limited. Part of buying into a Luxury brand is choices, customization and individualization. Sure there's a price, but if you want it you should get it.
Old 02-02-14, 02:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I'm sure they could have made it cheaper, like I said before there is no way the hybrid technology can have a spread of $10,000 almost a decade after it debuted with that exact same pricing spread between ICE and Hybrid. Maybe Lexus is aware that 450h is ultra niche and decides to actually make as much as profit as they can of it. We'll never know and who cares when 300h is available now
usually they price down volume model for some market in the world... but GS450h is not priced down anywhere which kind of proves that it is simply very expensive to produce. Otherwise, they would have it cheaper in Europe as thats only engine you could have bought for 2 years.

GS300h is certainly priced down in Europe as it is very affordable compared to similar option in US for instance.