Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does the Lexus CT 200h Need More Power?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 07:31 PM
Manuel3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the Lexus CT 200h Need More Power?

This week on the home page we posted an article about how Lexus is admitting the CT 200h needs more power to sell more. What are your thoughts about the CT 200h's current state of tune?
Old 11-13-13, 08:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The current engine is a good base, but a more powerful ESh powertrain and turbo would be welcome additions
Old 11-13-13, 08:10 PM
LexFather

We have discussed this in spades. Also you might want to do some sales research the CT is the best selling in class by far and has exceeded sales goals. Not sure why you tried to insult the CT's tepid acceleration, obviously it's not fast and it's not the reason for purchase.

There is a happy and active CT forum and it seems some would like more power with no sacrifice in MPG compared to an option engine.

It sounds like the next generation CT will have more engine options and this generation will soldier one with its current power plant.

I drove the CT before most anyone here years ago and felt it was great for city traffic in sport mode. I agree in Eco and normal it's quite slow due to the change in throttle response.

Old 11-13-13, 10:23 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The current engine is a good base, but a more powerful ESh powertrain and turbo would be welcome additions
I agree the current engine is a good base. The current CT is a well executed first generation and hopefully Lexus will expand the CT. One has to understand what the CT is and isn't. One it's not an LFA and no it doesn't have 552hp and Lexus will never make a CT with 552hp. Once that's established we can move one. Two it's not an LX 570 with a cavernous interior. I could go on and on but I won't...

If we were to follow current patterns say if Lexus were to include a CT 200h and a CT 300h, the mass would buy more of the CT 200h compared to a CT 300h. More people tend to buy the IS 250 compared to the IS 350, more bought the GS 350 compared to the GS 460, more of the LS 460 than the LS 460L or LS 600h L, etc., etc.

Buy expanding the CT with a base CT 200h, CT 200t and CT 300h and so on it will bring in more buyers to include performance enthusiasts and the like.
Old 11-13-13, 11:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Not sure why you tried to insult the CT's tepid acceleration, obviously it's not fast and it's not the reason for purchase.
the thread asks a question, it doesn't try to insult.

... this generation will soldier one with its current power plant.
... I agree in Eco and normal it's quite slow due to the change in throttle response.
you concede the current engine is slow.

so while some owners are happy with the CTh as is, many would be more interested if it had some more power.
Old 11-14-13, 06:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the thread asks a question, it doesn't try to insult.

you concede the current engine is slow.

so while some owners are happy with the CTh as is, many would be more interested if it had some more power.
Did you miss the article linked? You have stated the CT is a "P.O.S" so clearly views will differ. Its universally known the CT is not a power-house, that is not the car's intent and it is neither the slowest car of all time and as I stated has more than enough power to be zippy around town.

Old 11-14-13, 07:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

does it NEED more power? NO
would it be nice to have more power with same MPG? YES
Old 11-14-13, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't think the CT needs any more power. The spunk-level under the hood is just fine for what it was designed for. Nor, except for the annoying mouse-controller, does it need a better interior...the NuLuxe imitation Leather is superb. Unfortunately, what it DOES need, IMO, is more refinement, a markedly softer suspension/tires/ride, and a larger rear window and wiper for decent visibility.
Old 11-14-13, 09:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
what it DOES need, IMO, is a markedly softer suspension/tires/ride
see the euro version
Old 11-14-13, 10:40 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
does it NEED more power? NO
would it be nice to have more power with same MPG? YES
I've thought lately and seen it on the boards too. The ESh gets the same mileage for being more weight. Imagine that powertrain in the CT. An extra 66hp while probably adding more efficiency. Reason I say that is the 1.8L has to work far harder than the 2.5L mill does.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think the CT needs any more power. The spunk-level under the hood is just fine for what it was designed for. Nor, except for the annoying mouse-controller, does it need a better interior...the NuLuxe imitation Leather is superb. Unfortunately, what it DOES need, IMO, is more refinement, a markedly softer suspension/tires/ride, and a larger rear window and wiper for decent visibility.
The CT needs more sound insulation. Road and engine noise is abundant in this Lexus
Old 11-14-13, 10:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

see the euro version
is it more comfy? I doubt it... maybe they will improve that in the facelift.

As to the question, does it need 2.0t or 300h? I would pick 2.0t as it is lighter and mpg people/Europe/Japan could pick hybrid version, while US and China could buy 2.0t more.

I think 2.0t with 200hp would transform the car into something else... probably would be same price as hybrid too, or maybe even cheaper by 1k.
Old 11-14-13, 11:41 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does CT need more Power ? Yes, so is any other cars....Power will never be enough, Even a Lambo....people still modify them.

But that means the CT will be much more expensive, because of stronger power train = stronger drive train, plus Lexus reliability = Double Down.

Should CT be produced with more power ? No...they are being sold every where, they look good, they are comfortable

A Top of the line CT-R or CT-Racing is always welcome to the family. It probably carry the price tag of 55k+ for having around 300+ HP, it probably will not be sold very well, but it is always welcome
Old 11-14-13, 11:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
is it more comfy? I doubt it...
fatter sidewall = more cushy ride.
Old 11-14-13, 01:24 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've mentioned this before and I'll mention it again here.

Lexus trademarked the nameplates CT200h, CT300h and CT400h.

However, they decided they would only launch one model and this is what we got: a Prius powered luxury hatch. (Albeit, heavily revised.)

Now, I love my CT dearly and I am one of those that would love more power. However, the most logical choices in my opinion for the CT300h's powertrain would be taken straight out of the Camry Hybrid to keep costs low. 200 net HP from the 2AR-FXE. As an alternative, they could use the IS300h's powertrain (2AR-FSE) but seeing that they won't bring that car here, I don't see why they would stuff that engine in it's baby sibling.

As for the CT400h, They could stuff in the Highlander Hybrids powertrain but I feel that would be a step too far. Output is 280 net hp from the 2GR-FXE hybrid setup.

Now, I'm not ruling anything out but, Lexus reps have said from the start that they wouldn't launch any other version of the CT except for the one we got. I believe they miscalculated by playing it safe with a single model launch in case the car didn't sell. (Understandable after seeing the failure of the HS250)

Unfortunately, I firmly believe, we will have to wait until the next generation of the CT to see some hi-po variants. My personal opinion is that they're going to develop that sports hybrid setup that they debuted in the Yaris hybrid concept and start to throw that into a few cars. With Lexus taking injecting more and more sport into it's DNA, it's entirely plausible to see the CT become something like a Golf GTI TDI killer with the sports hybrid power train.

To answer OP's question: Yes. Everything could use more power, let alone my CT200h lol GO GO CT-F! 400 hp Yaris Sports Hybrid Motor GO!
Old 11-14-13, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

fatter sidewall = more cushy ride.
ah, you mean the base versions with 15" and 16"?

Not sure there is huge difference though.

Quick Reply: Does the Lexus CT 200h Need More Power?