Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-13, 06:48 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Which sample of the Q were you in? The Active-Steering version has been widely panned by reviewers....including Consumer Reports.
The Q50 owners who have the Direct Adaptive Steering seem to suggest that it's something that you just have to get used to. It's not bad, just different.
Old 11-03-13, 06:56 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Which sample of the Q were you in? The Active-Steering version has been widely panned by reviewers....including Consumer Reports.
It's been a little while but I do believe it was one with the active steering. It has great pickup and all, but after expecting a similar ride and handling as the G37 I came back a good deal disappointed. I feel Infiniti based the Q off of the Lexus image that Lexus is trying to get rid of right now. Reminded me of a 3GS when I was expecting it to be more in line with the 4GS. It was the perfect effortless cruiser.
Old 11-03-13, 08:05 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
It's been a little while but I do believe it was one with the active steering. It has great pickup and all, but after expecting a similar ride and handling as the G37 I came back a good deal disappointed. I feel Infiniti based the Q off of the Lexus image that Lexus is trying to get rid of right now. Reminded me of a 3GS when I was expecting it to be more in line with the 4GS. It was the perfect effortless cruiser.
But Lexus used to beat all the competition with the image that they're now desperately trying to get rid of..
Old 11-03-13, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But Lexus used to beat all the competition with the image that they're now desperately trying to get rid of..
I think they recognize the dangers of an ever aging customer base.
Old 11-03-13, 10:29 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
I'm only using the term "soulless" because it's what's been used earlier in this thread.

I honestly don't really know what "soulless" means but whatever it means, I like it.
Originally Posted by yardie876
Interesting.... It's just different for everyone I suppose. I thought the Q was downright boring to drive. I was quite happy to get back into my GS. To think the IS is even more sport oriented than the GS.
I agree with these statements. To call the IS "soulless" because it rides/handles/feedbacks better and engenders more driving confidence AND is more fun to drive as compared to the Q50 is confusing to say the least.

The Q50 is more spacious, has more body roll, has numb and artificial steering and is a better grocery getter. Seems like the term soulless applies more to it.

For a moment, I thought today was Opposite Day.
Old 11-04-13, 09:05 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I understand what machmike is referring to when he mentions the 2014 IS 350 is without a "soul". I own a 2013 GS 350. It handles very well, better than any competitor I test drove upon purchase. It has accurate and direct steering. It accelerates sufficiently. But, for all that good stuff, it is lacking in character. There is little which makes it endearing to own. The GS is an excellent machine. It performs its intended functions very well. It just doesn't create much of an emotional connection.
Old 11-04-13, 09:15 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by Outrage
I understand what machmike is referring to when he mentions the 2014 IS 350 is without a "soul". I own a 2013 GS 350. It handles very well, better than any competitor I test drove upon purchase. It has accurate and direct steering. It accelerates sufficiently. But, for all that good stuff, it is lacking in character. There is little which makes it endearing to own. The GS is an excellent machine. It performs its intended functions very well. It just doesn't create much of an emotional connection.
Whoa, the GS and IS are very different animals.

From someone who has driven both F-Sport versions, I think the GS has a little bit more soul to it quite honestly compared to the IS if I'm understanding it correctly.

The PROBLEM is that some people, like me, prefer a more soulless driving experience. Personally, I like a car that is very tight, very sharp, precise, and a little cold. That's just me. I think the Lexus IS isn't quite as soulless has it's been mentioned before, but compared to the GS, it's definitely less so.
Old 11-04-13, 03:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think they recognize the dangers of an ever aging customer base.
the customer base is literally dying off
Old 11-04-13, 03:15 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Whoa, the GS and IS are very different animals.

From someone who has driven both F-Sport versions, I think the GS has a little bit more soul to it quite honestly compared to the IS if I'm understanding it correctly.

The PROBLEM is that some people, like me, prefer a more soulless driving experience. Personally, I like a car that is very tight, very sharp, precise, and a little cold. That's just me. I think the Lexus IS isn't quite as soulless has it's been mentioned before, but compared to the GS, it's definitely less so.
I think Lexus can now be defined as pre-Akio (cars designed and produced before Akio Toyoda had direct oversight) and Post Akio (those produced since he has had direct influence) Pre-Akio Lexi were soft and nicer rides than drives. Post are a better balance of ride and drive - more aggressive and harder performing.
Old 11-04-13, 06:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
I think Lexus can now be defined as pre-Akio (cars designed and produced before Akio Toyoda had direct oversight) and Post Akio (those produced since he has had direct influence) Pre-Akio Lexi were soft and nicer rides than drives. Post are a better balance of ride and drive - more aggressive and harder performing.
Which is great, but if you're going to forget the Luxury aspect then you might as well throw a Toyota badge on the Lexus. We want both Luxury AND Sport which is Lexus's biggest problem lately. You get a choice and can't have it all
Old 11-04-13, 06:46 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Which is great, but if you're going to forget the Luxury aspect then you might as well throw a Toyota badge on the Lexus. We want both Luxury AND Sport which is Lexus's biggest problem lately. You get a choice and can't have it all
I disagree 100%.

I just came out of a Lexus dealership and let me tell you, you want luxury, then get an ES.

Get a GS or an LS. Hell, go get a IS with the Luxury package.

Lexus hasn't forgotten a thing. What they have done here, especially with the F-Sport package, is give those who WANT a sport-oriented version of a Lexus IS to have it. They want to keep that package competitively priced and incredibly easy to understand.
Old 11-04-13, 06:47 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
"Forget the luxury aspect" is an overstatement IMO. The new IS and GS are still plenty luxurious. Don't be distracted by superficialities like lack of leather seats in the IS F-Sport : the wonderful chassis and sweet ride-handling balance speaks for luxury far louder than quibbles over a few downmarket trim pieces.
Old 11-04-13, 08:00 PM
SimTide985
Driver

I gotta tell ya..

I test drove the Q50 Hybrid and...outside of its blistering speed, it's nothing that special driving wise. The best thing about the car by far is its tech and its interior feel though. Hey, a lot of people are looking for that though. Nothing bad about that.
Old 11-04-13, 08:07 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Default Test drove a Infiniti Q50 Hybrid

What may be the Lexus IS's biggest competition, I finally got a chance to take it for a spin.

The Q50 I tested:
-Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium RWD (31 MPG on sticker)
-Venetian Ruby Red
-Wheat interior w/ Kaachu Aluminum
-Navigation Package

MSRP $46,255

Summary

Looks: 8/10 (Like I've already mentioned, the exterior of the Infiniti is a nice balance of poised elegance. It's not overly aggressive and stylish nor is it understated or too austere. It won't turn every head but it's likely to grab most people's attention. In this case, the non-Sport Hybrid loses a couple points and panache due to the smaller 17" wheels and a lack of presence that I think the Sport model provides to the exterior. The interior on the other hand, while not having the Sport seats or wood trim, is still highly detailed and premium focused without being gaudy. It's no doubt where a lot of the money went to in the design and refinement of the car. The interior is where the Q50H shined this time.)

Performance: 7.5/10 (I wasn't overly impressed by the power of the car that is, UNTIL I got back into my G37 and immediately noticed how quick the Q50 Hybrid actually was. It's definitely a rocket. I will say this--I really dig the Drive mode selector too--I spent some time usually between Personal, Normal, and Sport modes and I definitely felt the differences in the steering effort and the responsiveness of the engine/transmission, which I thought were great. However, I did feel that the steering and control of the car in general felt...odd. Not great, not bad, but...odd, just a little different. It's hard to describe but I'll spend more time on the steering and handling of the car tomorrow when I get more space to roam. When it came to getting up to speed, braking, and shifting, it did very well. Unfortunately the whole package didn't quite blow me away to be honest which was a little disappointing.)

Personal Practicality and Appeal: 8.25/10 (It's one of the largest compact sedans in its segment so you won't ever feel like you're claustrophobic nor will you feel like you're driving a bus either. For me, coming from a comparably sized G37 with 21mpg moving to a Q50 with 31mpg with similar dimension, it greatly reduces the amount of acclimation or learning curve I'd ever have in moving to the Q50 Hybrid. The only downside I feel is that getting a Q50 now versus in a year or two is still a bit of a worry given the problems that are steadily arising at the point. However, until that time, it's going to be a while before you see a Q50 on every corner. The only other reason why I can't give it higher marks is because I've yet to see a Q50 that can match the exclusivity, uniqueness, and the appeal that I still receive from my Limited Edition sedan. Get on those red seats, Infiniti!)

Options/Tech: 8.5/10 (Infiniti actually gets a great bucket of win here. I spent a good amount of time messing around with both the navigation menu but as well as the instrument cluster menus, the apps, the settings, and all of the physical buttons. The touch screen response was good and any lag time was undetectable or was just as quick or quicker than what I see in my G37 screen. I paired up my Windows phone quickly and easily and the BTA playback was flawless. I was even able to set and find a navigation destination with good ease. While we were driving around I even got a quick text while I was on the road and was able to test the voice-recognition response as well. Everything worked great. I love the redundant nav screen in the instrument cluster and the little animated car/gas tank indicator thingy. I like the sharpness of the nav screen and both screens in general, but I did notice that fuzziness in the rear view camera people were telling me about. Again, the biggest and only disappointment for me was the Bose audio and for me, that's important. It barely sounded much better than what's in my G37 and it's nowhere near the quality of the ML system in the Lexus or the B&O system in the A4/A5. Infiniti needs some kind of upgraded audio system if they want to stay competitive with audiophiles like me. Other than that, I did find that where the Q50 shined the most over the competition in the category was in the ease of control)

Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Premium with Navigation Package
Overall: 8/10 (BTW, I coincidentally gave the Lexus IS350FS a 8.1/10 here)

Bottom Line:
Overall, what ultimately became the highlight of this car was the straight line acceleration, the interior fit and finish, the technology, and the practicality of its dimensions and fuel economy. On the whole, I think the car still has a way to go in the handling and body control department. I definitely felt that change in feel that the DAS provides and I don't know how I feel about it right now but I'll try to get the car out in the open a bit more to test the different Drive Mode and steering options. Compared to the Lexus IS, the Q50 is almost the polar opposite in every way from the exterior/interior advantages, the sport aggressive vibe versus the premium tech vibe, power and consumption versus tight handling and control.
Old 11-04-13, 08:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I disagree 100%.

I just came out of a Lexus dealership and let me tell you, you want luxury, then get an ES.

Get a GS or an LS. Hell, go get a IS with the Luxury package.

Lexus hasn't forgotten a thing. What they have done here, especially with the F-Sport package, is give those who WANT a sport-oriented version of a Lexus IS to have it. They want to keep that package competitively priced and incredibly easy to understand.
Well, I didn't say they forgot about the luxury ride. I was saying that they have a better balance of ride and handling now.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread