Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by eoph
I love how he calls the GS a non-entry......
he said non-entity, not non-entry anyway yeah, pretty weak, but i guess he means in terms of sales relative to 5 series and e class which outsell it 3-4 to 1.

Originally Posted by natnut
Which basically ruined his credibility as an objective reviewer.
'objective reviewer' = oxymoron.

Originally Posted by yowps3
For 50k you guys can get the Corvette
Who'd buy the Genesis over that??

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah, the Vette vs. Genesis is a stretch on many levels. Realistically, can you really get a new Vette for $50k??
no chance.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Also again having a luxury brand does not equate instant success, look at Volvo, Saab, Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti who all struggle and have a "badge".
only lincoln and inifiniti could be considered luxury 'badges', lincoln because of their past as the alternative to cadillac going way back. volvo's focus has been safety, practicality, and some quirky turbo performance. saab, a mess, and acura's an odd 'premium' brand.

If they are happy with the sales they get and clearly the cars have elevated the brand what is the issue?
exactly. all those who say hyundai 'must' create a separate brand or must do this or that are also those who wouldn't buy one if their life depended on it.

one thing hyundai/kia is seriously lacking though is a luxury cuv or suv.

about this genesis, is seems an evolutionary improvement over the old one and a very nice car.
Old 05-11-14, 12:26 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one thing hyundai/kia is seriously lacking though is a luxury cuv or suv.
I thought Hyundai already tries to market the Sante Fe as an alternative to the RX?
Old 05-11-14, 12:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Hyundai already tries to market the Sante Fe as an alternative to the RX?
Santa Fe goes after Highlander, it's not in the league of the RX. The now defunct Vera Cruz was their RX knockoff competitor.
Old 05-11-14, 12:49 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
It would take at least half a decade of planning if they had any intention to debut a luxury brand right. You don't just wake up one morning and debut a luxury brand.

Also again having a luxury brand does not equate instant success, look at Volvo, Saab, Lincoln, Acura, Infiniti who all struggle and have a "badge". Lexus is the only one that got it right and its no coincidence Toyota owns the brand, who spend more in R&D than anyone and have the cash and passion to have done it right. If you read the Lexus Story it was quite the fanatical effort to debut Lexus.

If they are happy with the sales they get and clearly the cars have elevated the brand what is the issue?
Well Hyundai is actually investing it seems, they have RWD cars that Acura, Lincoln, Volvo etc... don't.

So if you're going to invest in those cars, might as well have a luxo brand.

But I don't think those cars would even exist if it wasn't for patriotic buyers in Korea. Once foreign competitors start putting on the pressure on such cars in Korea, who knows what options Hyundai will have.
Old 05-11-14, 01:05 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I'm not gonna lie, I was seriously considering the 2015 Genesis until I saw several quality issues with the interior of the 2013 model. If Genesis wants to play up to Lexus level, they'll need to address these fundamentals of quality and workmanship before they get my business.

Thats what's up.
most reviewers claim this new 2015 genesis' interior is light years ahead of previous gen.

i've only seen the exterior and haven't had a chance to have a meaningful sit time yet. honestly, i don't care if they used rolls/bentley quality interior materials. it still looks vanilla to me.
Old 05-11-14, 01:34 PM
Luckyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still a Hyundai. Can't get past that. I've been to their facilities in AL, and to every Toyota manufacturing plant in North America, and some in Japan. Aa tier 1 supplier to Toyota, and supplier at Hyundai, ( albeit they build Sonata's there),, no thanks on Hyundai's.
Old 05-11-14, 01:37 PM
Luckyme
Driver School Candidate

Santa Fe vs. RX...........hmmm, not so.
Old 05-11-14, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Any CUV/SUV will be an alternative to another CUV/SUV
Old 05-11-14, 02:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyme
It's still a Hyundai. Can't get past that. I've been to their facilities in AL, and to every Toyota manufacturing plant in North America, and some in Japan. Aa tier 1 supplier to Toyota, and supplier at Hyundai, ( albeit they build Sonata's there),, no thanks on Hyundai's.
good insider info, thanks. have no doubt toyota's manufacturing process and quality is higher than hyundai, and of course all the data bears that out too.
Old 05-11-14, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyme
so what the difference?
Old 05-11-14, 06:51 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Any CUV/SUV will be an alternative to another CUV/SUV
I actually don't know hyundai products too well lol, but I did recall a coworker saying he they had same dimensions, so similar, blah blah blah
Old 05-11-14, 10:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I actually don't know hyundai products too well lol, but I did recall a coworker saying he they had same dimensions, so similar, blah blah blah
Well yeah a Santa Fe, RX, Edge, Cayenne will all be close in size but the difference will be in assembly, fit and finish, refinement etc.
Old 05-12-14, 08:59 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what u guys are bickering on about.

all the current lexus stylings are not impressive at all. The GS and ES look like someone went on ebay and bought a bunch of chrome trimmings and put in on a camry. The front grille is cool to a certain extent, it then starts to look very cliche after looking at the rest of the car.

this new genesis sedan is pretty impressive, and hopefully even more impressive if they start slashing thousands of the msrp. The base sedan at 38k might be worth a shot at 38k out the door including TL and registration.
Old 05-12-14, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I'm not sure what u guys are bickering on about.

all the current lexus stylings are not impressive at all. The GS and ES look like someone went on ebay and bought a bunch of chrome trimmings and put in on a camry. The front grille is cool to a certain extent, it then starts to look very cliche after looking at the rest of the car.

this new genesis sedan is pretty impressive, and hopefully even more impressive if they start slashing thousands of the msrp. The base sedan at 38k might be worth a shot at 38k out the door including TL and registration.
Well isn't that your opinion on a Lexus forum. Considering how sales are up, consumers seem to disagree...

But hey, my wife is fine with her chromed out Camry:thumb up:

Then you shower praise on a generic Genesis. Its handsome, inoffensive just like the last gen and they do get RWD proportions right. If you prefer the Genesis, fine but to just bash Toyota/Lexus is utterly hilarious to read.

toyota design is just losing it's appeal.

the avalon, this new camry, the lexus models. All seem to have this somewhat stale, hunchback type look that I never really got into.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-12-14 at 09:54 AM.

Old 05-12-14, 09:50 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

You look at that front end, and say the ES and GS have "cliche" chrome front ends?

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread