Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Sorento

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 04:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The relevant numbers are NA sales thru July. RX 54k and Sorento 63k. There's obviously a market of actual buyers for both of them. Comparing them seems a bit apples and oranges.
absolutely agreed!

Originally Posted by Blueprint
And look at the price difference
RX-40k-60k
Sorento-24k-40k
Base RX starts where the Kia ends and the RX sells nearly as well. The RX is simply amazing.
also 100% agreed!

the fact that the pricing overlaps just slightly is really irrelevant.
Old 08-25-13, 05:59 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Why don't you watch your tone? He's a Proven Lexus owner and he's been asked about his car and now insulted by you.

I agree 40k for it is nuts I don't care if it washes your clothes. They won't sell for that anyway, MSRP will be discounted heavily and most sold are not priced like this.

97SC is right at 40k a NAMEPLATE really starts to factor in. Most 7 seaters are not bought b/c of need but b/c it's a nice feature they might need. Its the reason why people prefer a base bare 320 at 35k then a loaded Sonata.

Badge. Those that are fans of brands that have no badge power seem to not understand this concept on the Internet.
Its called a price range. Very simple concept.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
doublehh03 - no need for that kind of tone. please don't do it again.

i agree with the rest of your points though.

!
My bad. His points were all over the place.
Old 08-25-13, 06:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03

Which points exactly were all over the place? The fact that I didn't realize this was a 7 seater? Simple mistake that is easily overlooked when you consider the actual size of this car. It's not a Land Cruiser. It's not a full size SUV either. I bet that third seat is like the back seat of a SC430. Useless.

So I guess you're the guy that will go and pay $40k+ on a midsize KIA SUV and walk away feeling like you've made a smart decision? If that's the case, then there really is a market for this thing.
Old 08-25-13, 06:32 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Which points exactly were all over the place? The fact that I didn't realize this was a 7 seater? Simple mistake that is easily overlooked when you consider the actual size of this car. It's not a Land Cruiser. It's not a full size SUV either. I bet that third seat is like the back seat of a SC430. Useless.

So I guess you're the guy that will go and pay $40k+ on a midsize KIA SUV and walk away feeling like you've made a smart decision? If that's the case, then there really is a market for this thing.
Its not about me or you. Its not my or your money. It's about the consumer. The fact that Kia is providing the options give the consumers options. The Sorrento is one of the better selling vehicles in its particular class so yes, there is a consumer base for it. The fully loaded versions don't make up for much of its sales, but you're focusing entirely on that, which is unnecessary.

And Im sure some people do feel like they get a more for their buck for a fully loaded version Sorrento rather than a base entry level luxury SUV (A poster in here posted his fully loaded Sorrento and felt happy about his purchase). Just like Im sure a ton of people feel great when they pay for a fully loaded Accord or Camry rather than a base 320i or A4 or C250 or IS. People view things differently in life. Not everything is brand name all the time for a lot of people who has money to spare. And I'm sure for some, brand name is everything. Again, options to choose from.

The fact that the consumers benefit when carmakers are focusing on giving the value to the consumers, and allowing them to choose. We should all be glad for that.
Old 08-25-13, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03

Lol.... He made his points you made yours, we could say your last post is all over the place since its stating the obvious. The point is at 40k most will go with the badge but the key word is "most" which means "some" don't mind the 40k Kia/Hyundai. Not only that it is smart for them to sell a 40k version as margins grow as the MSRP goes up.

I finally searched.. You had a 2001 accord and now 2012 accord so it all makes sense now...

Old 08-25-13, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

there's no need to make it personal. the market has spoken. 'this thing' sells. you may loathe that fact, the vehicle, or the people that buy them. to quote a past politician, you're entitled to your own opinions. but you're not entitled to your own facts.
Old 08-25-13, 07:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Meh... never though I'd be defending a Kia, but at least I'm sure that with a 40k Kia, you're getting your money worth. Not so sure with "premium" cars like RX or ML.
Old 08-25-13, 07:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys knock off the personal commentary or exit this thread. Keep it focused on the vehicle being discussed here.
Old 08-25-13, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No I didn't. I stopped reading after the $40k line.
My 24K quotes were before the 40K lines.

No matter, though, as long as you now understand that the base FWD models start at 24K.
Old 08-25-13, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that this Kia, I don't care how loaded it is, is anywhere near the price territory of an RX350 is just beyond a joke.
Sorento SX Limited models cost 40K for a reason. The one I drove gives an RX a good run for the money. The RX wins in some areas; the SX in others......and in several areas, the two are about even.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-13 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 04:52 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

cx-9 is very nice, but i don't think it has a lot of features this loaded sorrento has... of course a sorrento can also be had in that 34k or less price range too.....
Bit- agreed... BUT... only thing mine happens to lack is NAV and XM standard... its got voice, thumping bass (can't put it all the way up) on mid-level stereo, back-up camera, leather & suede seats,comes with Pandora & blue tooth so I can run it either way, regular trip/mileage computer... I'll post some additional pics on interior if I ever get time...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 08-29-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-27-13, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I'm sure that with a 40k Kia, you're getting your money worth. Not so sure with "premium" cars like RX or ML.
I'd say you get your money's worth with an RX....although the Hybrid models are quite pricey. But, even the base RX350 (starting at 40K) is outstandingly refined and well-built. The only significant complaints I had with the last one I reviewed are the mouse-operated video-screen system (which is difficult to use when the car is in motion, as it causes multi-tasking) and the (slightly) stiffer-than-necessary suspension, which doesn't using help the mouse, either.....especially over bumps. Compare the 40K Sorento SX Limited with the 40K base RX350, and you will find that they are both excellent and refined SUVs.
Old 09-05-13, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
By CL-member special-request, a Review of the 2014 Kia Sorento. ... The review request (which came from a CL member in Florida) was for either an SX or SX-L.
yup, that was me - thanks again for such a quick response! i went to drive one today for grins...

MODEL REVIEWED: 2014 Kia Sorento AWD SX-L (Limited)
likewise what i drove.

OPTIONS:
Third-Row Seat/Rear Air-Conditioning: $1200
my test driver didn't have the third row, which was good because i'm not interested, and i could also see how that affects storage. without the third row, the place where they would fold into the floor becomes another covered big but shallow storage compartment.

agree with your plusses. also would add the tilt/telescope wheel has a huge range of travel, combined with the huge leg room range made for an exceptionally comfortable driving position for a tall guy like me. loved that. also, compared to say a new explorer i checked out recently with the big hood bulge that from the driver's seat was like looking out of a container ship this sorrento feels like driving a regular sedan with short hood.

power folding mirrors and vast panaromic sun roof are also impressive as is the uvo infotainment/nav system. screen was really nice and clear.

i also liked how the speedometer is actually an lcd with lots of configurable information in it.

comments on some of your minuses:

>Roly-Poly handling.

maybe you're comparing to a car. i took a 90 degree corner at reasonable speed and was impressed how flat it took it.

>Relatively slow steering response.

there's actually 3 steering modes you can set for how responsive it is.

>So-so stereo sound quality.

agreed with limited test with xm radio, but then xm isn't the best sound source. my '06 limited explorer has GREAT sound.

>Front seats not particularly supportive.

seemed great to me, and agree nappa leather on limited model definitely better than lower trim leather

>Large, wide D-pillars and smallish rear window restrict some rear-vision.

with blind spot monitoring, rear view camera and parking sensors, who cares?

>Hard-to-reach temporary spare tire located under rear bumper.

my explorer is same (at least it's full size though).

i would also add that limited testing with the voice recognition didn't impress me (but then i've yet to be in a car where it has).

also, the 6 speed auto transmission (which the sales guy incorrectly stated was cvt - but he was obviously confused with the cvvt engine feature ) seemed aggressive in engine braking so the car doesn't 'coast' easily. but the car was certainly 'peppy'.

anyway, thanks again for a great review. overall i found the '14 sorento an impressive package, especially in limited trim.
Old 09-06-13, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yup, that was me - thanks again for such a quick response! I went to drive one today for grins...
That's what I traditionally close my reviews with...................

.........".And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping".

my test driver didn't have the third row, which was good because i'm not interested, and i could also see how that affects storage. without the third row, the place where they would fold into the floor becomes another covered big but shallow storage compartment.
Yes, if one does not have a larger family or regularly carry kids back there, I strongly recommend that the third-row seat be avoided. It not only costs more, but greatly impacts rear cargo-room when up.

agree with your plusses. also would add the tilt/telescope wheel has a huge range of travel, combined with the huge leg room range made for an exceptionally comfortable driving position for a tall guy like me. loved that. also, compared to say a new explorer i checked out recently with the big hood bulge that from the driver's seat was like looking out of a container ship this sorrento feels like driving a regular sedan with short hood.
IMO, the Sorento's overall build-quality bests that of the latest Explorer...but not by a huge amount. The Ford MyTouch system, like Cadillac's CUE, can also be a PITA to deal with.

comments on some of your minuses:

>Roly-Poly handling.

maybe you're comparing to a car. I took a 90 degree corner at reasonable speed and was impressed how flat it took it.
Well, yes, it's better than the El-Flip-O SUVs of the 1990s, but, by my perspective, there's still a fair amount of body-roll. It's difficult to get truly flat cornering on a high-center-of-gravity SUV with sharp steering input unless you have an overly-harsh suspension, which, fortunately, is something that the Sorento doesn't have. Either way, the stability-control systems on today's SUV's, regardless of suspension, usually don't let things get out of hand like they did on older Jeep CJs, Suzukis, Ford Broncos, the Acura SLX, and Mitsubishi Monteros....though most systems, outside of Ford/Volvo deveolped ones, react to just yaw oversteer/understeer and not to body-roll itself. (An interesting point.....I don't know if Ford still has the right to use the more flexible Volvo-developed systems since it no longer owns the company)

>Relatively slow steering response.

there's actually 3 steering modes you can set for how responsive it is.
True, but from what I understand (and the way the Kia reps explained it, because that was something I asked about) the steering-modes affect only the tactile feel, not the actual steering-ratio which determines wheel-motion to steering input. On the sample Sorento I drove, it didn't seem to affect even the feel that much.

So-so stereo sound quality.

agreed with limited test with xm radio, but then xm isn't the best sound source. my '06 limited explorer has GREAT sound.
I just wasn't that terribly impressed with the stereo sound overall, though's not the worst I've heard by any means. But you know you're not listening to a Mark Levinson or Harmon-Kardon unit. I've never forgotten the Mark Levinson unit I sampled in the Lexus LS460.To borrow from one of Mike's terms, that Got-Daymn unit was just insane.

Front seats not particularly supportive.

seemed great to me, and agree nappa leather on limited model definitely better than lower trim leather
Your butt and torso are both probably thinner than mine, and better-able to fit inside the seat's existing side-bolstering. It takes a wide seat with significant bolstering to hold me in place....neither of which the Sorento front seats rally have that much of.

The seats and pull-out thigh-support on the new Cadillac XTS, for example, which I just finished reviewing, did a noticeably better job of supporting a person my size than the Sorento's.

Large, wide D-pillars and smallish rear window restrict some rear-vision.

with blind spot monitoring, rear view camera and parking sensors, who cares?
True, but the cameras generally only look straight back, not to the back and sides through the D-pillars where some things can hide. I agree, though, that some back-up sensor/beepers (such as the ones on my Verano) beep when they also sense something at an angle (the 2012 Verano did not have a camera-option).

>Hard-to-reach temporary spare tire located under rear bumper.

my explorer is same (at least it's full size though).
Some SUVs still give you a (proper, IMO) full-size spare. Some don't. It seems to be one of the cost-cutting measures we see today.....although the PR people at the auto-companies often try and spin it into reasons why a true spare (or even a temporary one) is no longer needed.

i would also add that limited testing with the voice recognition didn't impress me (but then i've yet to be in a car where it has).
Voice-recognition, IMO, wouldn't be needed in the first place if the manufacturers hadn't gotten so carried away with electronic complexity in the sound/NAV/climate-control systems.

Anyway, thanks again for a great review. overall i found the '14 sorento an impressive package, especially in limited trim.
Glad you liked both the review and the car. Let us know if and when one comes home with you in your driveway.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-13 at 08:51 AM.