Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Good $5000 used car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 07:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Mazda3
+1

yep, you'll get more car with the 3 over the accord/civic/camry/etc
Old 07-20-13, 08:11 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
$5000 budget and built in navigation

s.

my point was - don't be afraid of electronics and gadgets with Japanese cars. get the max features that you want and can afford for your budget.
Old 07-20-13, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG

That said I'm thinking about a 2000 crv. 1st gen
What do you think of them? I think they have abs.?
I was just browsing through Autotrader for the CRV and didn't know they hold their value that well. The latest example of the 1st gen (MY2001) is still hovering around $5k. I'm seeing 1999 Lexus GS300 for about the same price, but it was originally 2x the price of the CRV. Oh wait, how about a GS300?
Old 07-21-13, 04:59 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

es300 gets my vote. We have one and its insanely reliable even though i completely nelect it. In addition, it looks decent for a 20 year old car
Old 07-22-13, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree with most (not all) of the used Toyota/Honda suggestions. Also, consider a used Subaru Impreza if a good AWD system for winter is a high priority.

However, avoid used Toyota/Lexus models with the 3.0L V6 because of (possible) oil-related problems unless oil-change records show scrupulous maintenence. Avoid Honda Accords with automatics in the 1999-2003 range because of transmission problems. And avoid Subarus with non-turbo 2.5L engines before about 2005-2006 because of possible head-gasket isues....the Imprezas with the 2.2L engine were generally more reliable.
Old 07-22-13, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by edgeucated
es300 gets my vote. We have one and its insanely reliable even though i completely nelect it. In addition, it looks decent for a 20 year old car
Depends on what year ES300's. A number of them had the famous oil-gel problem, ruining the engines, if religious oil-changes were not kept up. Any gas/diesel car, of course, needs oil changes, but that particular engine was unforgiving if you stretched it a bit....as some negligent owners did.
Old 07-22-13, 10:48 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you explain better? I was looking for a Toyota / Lexus V6 because I figure they might have lived a low RPM easy life.. most all Lexus had V6, what about the I6 in GS300?
Old 07-22-13, 11:12 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Another option is to buy grandma's last ride. Avoid Cadillacs with the Northstar V8, very problematic cars. Any Buick with the 3.8 v6 is a good bet, Grand Marquis(Grandma's Keys lol) and Crown Vics are good cars, gas mileage is crap(about 15 in town, 25 on the highway).
Please tell me more, how much wrenching do I have to do with a 3.8 V6 Buick? in this price range, say, a 2002 LeSabre? How reliable are they on stuff beside the engine?
Old 07-22-13, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Can you explain better? I was looking for a Toyota / Lexus V6 because I figure they might have lived a low RPM easy life.. most all Lexus had V6, what about the I6 in GS300?
The I6 in the GS300/IS300/SC300 was smooth and virtually bulletproof (the same block was used in the old 90s Toyota Supra)....but it is thirsty and guzzles gas like a V8. I had one in my IS300 for almost 5 years.

On the older 3.0L V6, it was designed with narrow oil-passages that were intended to keep the oil and engine temperature up for low emissions, but this setup tended to cook/gel the oil and/or cause sludge, if the oil and filter were not changed regularly. By "regularly, that meant a least once every 4-5 months or so and maybe 5000 miles). When this happened, of course, internal engine damage (depending on the amount of gel/sludge and how quickly it was caught) could be anything from relatively minor to a completely new engine. There was a class-action suit on this matter, BTW.....but I didn't agree with the suit. IMO, anything less than oil change at those intervals is considered owner-abuse, and should not be warrantied.
Old 07-22-13, 12:57 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an accord before my IS250, they are comfortable and reliable. Ive had my accord for 4 years and almost never went to the mechanic shop for nothing more than an oil change. It had 150k on it when i sold it
Old 07-22-13, 03:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Please tell me more, how much wrenching do I have to do with a 3.8 V6 Buick? in this price range, say, a 2002 LeSabre? How reliable are they on stuff beside the engine?
The big thing on the engines with these cars are the lower intake manifold gaskets tend to be junk. If the coolant is changed religiously at the correct intervals, it is less of a problem. GM's Dex-Cool brand coolant(its pink, or rusty orange/brown) tends to eat those particular gaskets when it breaks down. Not a huge deal, most shops will do this job for about $300-600. I'd also recommend they flush your coolant system and replace with standard green coolant.

As for other stuff on the car, they tend to be pretty reliable. Window motors can be a problem, annoying, but not that expensive to take care of.

Also if you buy a car with the supercharged 3.8 v6, make sure its stock as a rock and has never been modded/beat on by a younger guy. You can easily get an extra 75hp out of it with just a couple of mods, its just that the transmissions don't like the extra horsepower or the abuse of somebody with a heavy right foot. The trannies are fine if you aren't doing burnouts or upping the hp.
Old 07-23-13, 06:28 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99-2002 Infiniti G20 (base, touring or sport)

auto or manual options, touring and sport came with LSD (fwd)
4cyl (chain driven) with very low maintenance needed, owned one with about 275k miles on it and drove like new!
GREAT on gas, I averaged around 28-29 with the few that I've owned (all 5spd with LSD)
comfy ride, descent interior (most came with leather)
has ABS and airbags, side airbags as well
overall a pretty solid car...only thing to watch for is up north vehicles having rust in the door jams and rear window trims, also leaky power steering hoses (common SR20 fwd issue)

can get a very descent one as low priced as 1500 if you search around
Old 07-23-13, 10:05 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

The big thing on the engines with these cars are the lower intake manifold gaskets tend to be junk. If the coolant is changed religiously at the correct intervals, it is less of a problem. GM's Dex-Cool brand coolant(its pink, or rusty orange/brown) tends to eat those particular gaskets when it breaks down. Not a huge deal, most shops will do this job for about $300-600. I'd also recommend they flush your coolant system and replace with standard green coolant.

As for other stuff on the car, they tend to be pretty reliable. Window motors can be a problem, annoying, but not that expensive to take care of.

Also if you buy a car with the supercharged 3.8 v6, make sure its stock as a rock and has never been modded/beat on by a younger guy. You can easily get an extra 75hp out of it with just a couple of mods, its just that the transmissions don't like the extra horsepower or the abuse of somebody with a heavy right foot. The trannies are fine if you aren't doing burnouts or upping the hp.
Hi again, can you tell me what's wrong with the caddy's again? I see a Caddy eldorado coupe with N* V8.. I think it's a 2001 or 2002
Old 07-23-13, 05:57 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No Caddy!

Hi again, can you tell me what's wrong with the caddy's again? I see a Caddy eldorado coupe with N* V8.. I think it's a 2001 or 2002
Pre-2000 the head gasket issue and interrelated to that, cooling system, were culprits for an unpleasant ownership experience, especially if not paid attention too. 2000-2001 had the HG issue mostly resolved, but look for a 2002 or later, and the HG is solid. Usually the "granny" who took hers to the dealer and had low miles did not experience this displeasure. Most often the secondary or tertiary owners learned all about these problems. I've owned two NS cars. Loved the engines, but they require attention and maintenance that many owners don't partake in. They are light, powerful and rev like a banshee - off-idle torque, high revving horsepower, and great MPG potential all in one package. As you may know, a NS is a very popular dune car motor, often with turbocharging added.

I inherited a a 2001 Deville from my dad, but sold it shortly afterwards because it had a note and I couldn't convince my wife to drive it (got her a LS 430 instead - no explanation required). Nonetheless, it was a sweet ride that got 20-ish mpg in the city and routinely bumped on 30 freeway, and zoomed like a hot rod when floored. It had 40,000 miles and was cherry when I let it go. Our LS 430 stayed with us with zero problems to 150,000 miles. I am positive the Caddy would have been junk by then.

Fast forward to daughter's first car. I irrationally embraced my fondness for the Northstar and Caddy smoothness in a cheap package, with awesome safety features (airbags everywhere); granny's 2002 Seville STS with just under 90,000 miles (about 1.5 years ago). It's actually a cool looking car, unlike the more yacht-ish Deville. It's the 4 door version of the Eldorado you mentioned. While the Northstar literally screamed and pulled 28 mpg in our mixed expressway driving, the car itself was a smokin' pile of #$*^. I have never seen so many electrical gremlins in one package. A/C control, lighting, random chimes, seats, stereo, mirrors, suspension control - you name it, it was problematic. It had an inexplicable battery drain, that even a highly competent shop could not resolve, properly at least. We disconnected the audio amp, and the battery held. No more tunes however. On the hottest days, the car would decided that A/C was best routed to your feet or defrost vents. Now that's a handy feature! After tinkering with various sensors and controls to no avail, I had to "stalk " a servo motor and catch it for the brief moment it commanded through-dash venting, and pulled it's power for eternity. Well, at least until winter or sale ... I chose the latter. I have never enjoyed watching taillights as much as the evening on which the Seville rolled to its new home! So I'm all thumbs up for a Northstar when I build or acquire a sand machine. They outta be cheap, since their hosts will be dropping like flies. All I can say about your Eldo query is, "dude, you're on a Toyota/Lexus forum probably because you know what great vehicles they are; forget the Caddy!" Aside from that, I concur with the Accord/Corolla/Camry, et al suggestions. Check out Avalons too. 5K and under can produce a reliable ride in quite a few Japanese cars.

Last edited by zippinbye; 07-23-13 at 06:02 PM.