Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 01:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Cant please everyone... Toyota took a chance and got sales up by 100%. Good work.
Old 06-26-13, 09:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Car and Driver begs to differ regarding the ride/handling balance if the F30 335i :
C&D has their opinions (which I respect).....and I have mine.

I will admit, however, that my 335i comments were based on the one I reviewed a few years ago.....not necessarily the very latest model. But (to quote Mike) Got-Daymn...was that a nice-driving car.
Old 06-26-13, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Toyota took a chance and got sales up by 100%. Good work.

Can't please everyone...

True, you can't. And the new, stiffer-riding Avalon does seem to be selling better, at least in the short run. But two things, IMO, need to be noted. First, is the true reason for the sales the chassis or just the new upgraded interior? (which, IMO, one-ups the interior of the new ES350). Second, how long will Grandpa/Grandma actually keep their new Avalon once the new-car novelty (and smell) wears off and they get tired of the ride over lumpy pavement? I suspect that at least some of them will be traded for Chevy Impalas and Kia Cadenzas....both of which are at least a little more friendly in the cush-tush department.
Old 06-26-13, 10:29 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Cant please everyone... Toyota took a chance and got sales up by 100%. Good work.
+1

a car may still sell well even when magazines dont rate it well

people who buy toyotas are not always the ones reading magazines or auto related media
Old 06-26-13, 10:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new Avalon just won a comparo in C&D. The scores for ride weren't the best, but the ratings in other areas were enough to beat out cars like Impala, Cadenza, Azera, Charger and 300S.

It comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it looks like actual buyers are snapping up the new Av.
Old 06-26-13, 10:59 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can the solution be as simple as having appropriate wheels & tires?

The complaints regard the 18" wheels in particular.

Does Toyota dare have 16" wheels for the Avalon?
Old 06-26-13, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Can the solution be as simple as having appropriate wheels & tires?

The complaints regard the 18" wheels in particular.

Does Toyota dare have 16" wheels for the Avalon?
I totally agree, Phil. But that itself has been part of the problem...not only stiffer underpinnings, but the continuing obsession of the industry with ever-lower profile tires. A car isn't considered "cool" any more unless it has rubber-band tires on it. Even Buicks and Cadillacs now come with 45-series and lower....and some sports sedans go down to 30.
Old 06-26-13, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In the C&D test the Impala got the highest scores for Ride. It had 45 series tires on 19" wheels. All cars in the test except the Azera and Cadenza had 45's (those two had 40 series). The Avalon was tested with 18' wheels and 45 series tires.
Old 06-27-13, 03:39 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the C&D test the Impala got the highest scores for Ride. It had 45 series tires on 19" wheels. All cars in the test except the Azera and Cadenza had 45's (those two had 40 series). The Avalon was tested with 18' wheels and 45 series tires.
I've always been impressed with the way GM has been able to insulate a cabin from road noise. I don't know what they're doing that most aren't, but........it's working.
Old 06-27-13, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
True, the Impala, with 45s probably had the softest suspension to go with them. But the standard 50s/18" wheels on the lower-line models would likely ride better.....and, along with the V6 engine, would be my choice.

On this class of sedan, handling is of secondary importance....they are not intended to be sport sedans. The buyers of this class of car are looking primarily for ride-comfort and quietness, not sport-sedan agility/performance.
Old 06-27-13, 09:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On this class of sedan, handling is of secondary importance....they are not intended to be sport sedans. The buyers of this class of car are looking primarily for ride-comfort and quietness, not sport-sedan agility/performance.
So true...
Old 06-27-13, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I've always been impressed with the way GM has been able to insulate a cabin from road noise. I don't know what they're doing that most aren't, but........it's working.
Lexus, on some models (particularly in the past) also does noise-isolation quite well. The new ES350, though, IMO, has been disappointing. Some Toyotas (Camry, Avalon, Corolla, and Highlander in particular) have also been better-than average for their class in noise-control.

The famous Buick Quiet-Tuning (which, yes, I agree with you, DOES work), compared to some other automakers, simply uses extra layers of insulation in the roof, door-panels, roof-pillars, firewall, double-laminated glass, and triple-sealed doors. OEM tires are selected for a good compromise of safety/performance and the ability to run quietly. That's why a fairly small car like the Verano can, with some exceptions for the Ecotec 4-cylinder engine noise here and there, run as quietly (or quieter) as yesterday's much larger LeSabre/Lucerne/Park-Avenue. Chevy sedans are now also getting a reputation for quietness and comfort......primarily because they are also using some of the Buick Quiet-Tuning methods.

Of course, there is also a down side to all the sound-insulation that GM uses.....weight. It sometimes impacts both acceleration and fuel-economy. GM vehicles, outside of the Volt, are generally not known for great gas mileage.
Old 06-30-13, 12:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The Avalon is doing well, so I am not sure what the problem is with the ride. If people are buying it, then they must be liking the ride.

I like how the Avalon is quiet from the design, and not from masking noise in the way Buick does it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-30-13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 03:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I like how the Avalon is quiet from the design, and not from masking noise in the way Buick does it.
What?
Old 07-01-13, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Avalon uses its share of sound-insulaton. Buick also selects some components (such as tires and transmission-programming) to try and prevent noise rather than simply mask it.

The Avalon, though, does have one advantage over some Buicks in the sound-insulation department, in that all of them have a standard V6, where several Buick models come with fours.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend on new Avalon ride quality