Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Choices, choices........

Old 06-13-13, 06:17 AM   #1
draco
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Choices, choices........

I hate choices sometimes as each choice has it's good and bad. My current Lexus RX is approaching 200000kms (about 118000 miles for you guys in the states). I am due to try and sell this car or trade it in and then I will be looking for another Lexus to get me around. Now the intention is for my wife to buy a slightly smaller SUV to do all the kid duties and so forth. That SUV would inherit the title of "family car", which then leaves me with the option of going down the sedan route (I miss sedans). For me this gives me a choice of getting one of the following:

1) A Lexus GS300 (2006+ GRS190R) or
2) A Lexus IS250 (2007+).

The way my car is generally used these days is to drop my 2 year old at daycare twice a week (literally 5 minutes away on the way to the train station), otherwise most weekdays from home to the train station and back. On the weekends it's the current family car so it gets used but not all day or everyday of the weekend (so general use). Every so often (2-3 times a year) we would make a country trip.

Which car do I choose?

Before any feedback is received let me mention these little facts

* I am in love with the gs and it's styling. I always wanted the previous JZS160R but the GRS has won my heart.
* I like the IS but not nearly as much as I do the GS.
* The fuel aspect also ways slightly into it and the "official" figures would suggest that the gs uses maybe 0.7litres per 100km more than the IS and needs a higher grade of fuel (for me about 4cdnts a liter more). Does anyone have any real world figures for these cars to compare properly? Against the RX it would be remarkably better at the end of the day, for general use (not flooring the thing all the time).
* The GS is 6cm longer than the RX but that's half a tow ball so it fits "snuggly" into the garage. Obviously the IS would get a little wiggle room.
* The way I use the car less the family duties.
* I like my bigger cars

I will not buy another make and I am really only interested in the above 2 choices. The LS will be much later and if I get a bigger garage or win Lotto. The CT200h I am not that impressed with so it's not considered an option.

Lexus Community I hand it over to you.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by draco; 06-13-13 at 06:22 AM..
draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 06:21 AM   #2
TangoRed
Lexus Test Driver

You clearly want the GS. Go for it.
TangoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 06:23 AM   #3
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic

a lot of people whine about the IS back seat being small (as you will see shortly), check it out for yourself; it wasn't as issue for me when I owned mine since I rarely had anyone sit behind me....but the IS is definitely smaller than the GS.
Old 06-13-13, 06:40 AM   #4
draco
Lexus Test Driver

I would agree with you but at the same time, is it the right choice to make.

Last edited by draco; 06-13-13 at 06:43 AM..
Old 06-13-13, 06:42 AM   #5
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
a lot of people whine about the IS back seat being small (as you will see shortly), check it out for yourself; it wasn't as issue for me when I owned mine since I rarely had anyone sit behind me....but the IS is definitely smaller than the GS.
I will be, when doing Dad duties, have up to 2 kids in a baby seat and booster to contend with. I am 5'11"-ish so not sure how much room there is at that point. I also did some research and found that the is is 6inches shorter in rear leg room.
Old 06-13-13, 07:56 AM   #6
My0gr81
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by draco View Post
I would agree with you but at the same time, is it the right choice to make.
The 2006+ GS is the better car with a better engine than the IS250. If you were looking at the IS350 (if available in your market) then it would be more of a choice to make.
My0gr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 08:16 AM   #7
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic

GS is a better car... go for it.
Old 06-13-13, 11:55 AM   #8
edgeucated
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (4)

1. You like the GS much better.
2. The GS is much better for what you need ("family car")
3. I think GS and IS both require the same highest grade of fuel? Fuel should be very equivalent
4. GS is the better quality car.
| 06 Crystal White IS350 | KW V3 | WALD lip | Red Outs | VLed DRL | 35% tint | 6k Garax HID | 3m Carbon pillars | IS-F rear conversion | 3M Diffuser w/ molding surround | AIT carbon splitters & rear canards | K&N filter | black carpet conversion | IS-F steering damper | Hella Horns | F-sport sway bar | Jun-TW |

Navi, ML
edgeucated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 03:55 PM   #9
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

GS is larger but the trunk is tiny. The 06 GS was the first year of the 3GS and had some "teething " issues when first released not to mention the 58 hp increase from 06-07. The IS will get better mpg and will have less issues most likely since the 2IS has been around since 2003-04. In the end to each his own. Just wanted to add my input . I have owned a 07 GS350 and it was a rattle box. Sun roof rattled and dash rattled. It was infuriating. I ended up going with an LS460 because I need more room, and frankly a better built car.

Have you considered an LS430?? I think it was rated as the most reliable car ever tested by JD power. Might be a good buy bec of price, size, etc. Might be a good compromise

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-13, 05:47 PM   #10
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
GS is larger but the trunk is tiny.

Have you considered an LS430?? I think it was rated as the most reliable car ever tested by JD power. Might be a good buy bec of price, size, etc. Might be a good compromise
I have seen the trunk on the previous gen GS300 and here it was quite small for such a large car (especially when you look at the trunks of other cars like a :cough: Camry). The GS's boot (trunk) would be larger again that the IS (as I did get to drive an IS as a loaner from Lexus).

I have considered an LS, and would love to get one. As I mentioned previously, it wouldn't fit my garage so the GS is about the biggest that can fit in there "snuggly".
Old 06-13-13, 05:47 PM