Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TL SH AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 11:41 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The SH-AWD may be new to the TL, but it has been used (and perfected) on other Honda/Acura products for several years.
Agreed... somewhat. The SH system design that the TL has is close to what was developed in 2005 for the RL and MDX. Whats Mopars excuse then? They've been the lead in 4WD and AWD for their Jeep line for years before. Maybe I've just answered my own question as to why the 300s AWD feels like a Truck style system.

Then why complain?
Because its still too big, Even for my 6'4" frame. For something that is marketed to the sport sedan crowd. Slapping in a Lincoln towncar *** holder is a bit in the other direction.

Try sitting on a Golf GTI's front seat as a big American and you will have something to complain about.
If I were ever in the market for a small entry level sport coupe, then yes I would agree the GTI/R32 seats are tight. But again... we are talking about mid size sport sedans.

End of the day. I would take the Acura over a Mopar car product hands down.
Old 06-08-13, 12:07 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Talk about apples to tampons. The 300s was designed two years after the TL for starters. The TL-SH is the FIRST year of AWD in a TL. Whereas the 300 line has had AWD since 05'

The 300S is my absolute least favorite car. Unless were talking about the SRT8 line (which is a whole different animal). That 300s felt way cheesier and cheap than the TL. The seats felt like they were designed for fat Americans only. They felt big and swimmy to me...and I'm a fat American. The AWD in the 300 felt like a sedan was bolted onto a Ram 1500 drive line. Dash board and controls looks like they were designed by Ricardo Montalban. I am in no way in support of the TL-SH at all, but to compare it to a Dodge? Really??. The TL-SH's AWD system as bulky as it is, feels light years ahead of that Mopar. The TL is still a FWD car... but the SH systems doesn't make it feel like one at all. As I said. The SH AWD is that cars ONLY saving grace.

The dodge to me felt like a group of Mopar engineers were all standing around and an exec rushed out to them screaming we need AWD now!! Then a few weeks later it was slapped together. Sort of early 60's Russian space program rigging. It works... For the sake of saying it works. I actually have video here on CL of me passing a AWD 300 up a hill in a snow storm in my RWD GS450h. That 300 was pitching all over the place.

As far as the interior to the 4Gen TL vs the interior to a 4 gen 2013 GS. You're right, no comparison. Lexus wins hands down. Now compare the TL to a 3GS since the TL-SH you're speaking of was designed in 08' as opposed to the 4GS designed 4 years after.
I can't disagree with your opinion of the 300, but the 08 model year had a newly refreshed interior dash and the AWD system was changed in 09, and from what your saying about your encounter I would not judge a car based solely on its ability to drive up a hill in snow, AWD or not it could have had the wrong tires or even worn tires, the 300 with AWD that I have driven many times in the snow handles flawlessly and have passed slower car and plows going up hill
Old 06-08-13, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
Little one on the way
BTW, congratulations on your wife's pregnancy.....sorry if I forgot to mention this before. We look forward to Junior's arrival.

And, speaking of Junior, I'm sure you checked out the TL's child-seat attachments and made sure they will easily fit your intended seat OK, didn't you? Most newer cars, by law, have central-attachment hardware built in above the rear seats.

Some Chrysler/Dodge minivans (and, I think, a few Volvo products) have nifty pull-down child seats actually built into the rear seats themselves......DOT-Approved. Just pull the seat open with a strap (like you would the regular center arm-rest), set Junior down in the middle of it, buckle up a few straps, and that's it.....you're good to go. But I don't think any TL models (or any Acuras) offer that option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-13 at 08:17 PM.