Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should running a red light at an empty intersection be legalized?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 08:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Should running a red light at an empty intersection be legalized?

This has been proposed for motorcycles, which due to its size and weight, sometimes cannot trigger traffic light sensors. I've been stuck on my motorcycle at an intersection before for several minutes, and I've run the red after waiting for more than two minutes. Another issue is when needing to turn left with a red left-turn signal, and the opposing traffic signal has run through two cycles.

From the point of view of a motorcyclist or bicyclist (who is likely to experience the same problem), many traffic-activate lights are ineffective and will almost never change for a road user on two wheels. Consider my case of entering a left-turn lane at a controlled intersection, waiting through two light cycles without a change in his or her red arrow. Unless a car happens to pull up behind me, that light is never going to go green.

In these instances, I don't deserve to get a ticket for running the red.

But what about cars?

What should the parameters be?

Should you wait a minute? Two minutes? No other traffic? No pedestrians?

What if there are traffic light sensors; must a car wait then no matter what the time limit?

Does it matter if it's a small town or a big city? Urban areas vs. rural roads?

Should there be a difference between private versus commercial vehicles?

DISCUSS.

Old 06-04-13, 08:11 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would help to me is more round abouts and less lights. I know its not feasible at every interesection but it would keep traffic flowing at larger ones.

Maybe we need updated lights and sensors that turn them into 4 way stops (all red) when there isn't traffic.
Old 06-04-13, 08:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

That assumes people in the US can figure out how to use roundabouts. There is a large one near my workplace and people when you have 1 person that can't work it and everything comes to a stop. Old Florida people and roundabouts scare me
Old 06-04-13, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

During times of low-traffic (say, between 10 PM and 5 AM), many intersections, IMO, don't need steady red or green lights.....they could do with simple yellow flashers (or yellow/red flashers), where you slow down or stop, check for side traffic, and if clear, simply go through or turn without having to waste time and gasoline waiting for a green. But many localities refuse to reprogram the lights to do so....why, I have no idea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 08:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
That assumes people in the US can figure out how to use roundabouts. There is a large one near my workplace and people when you have 1 person that can't work it and everything comes to a stop. Old Florida people and roundabouts scare me
LOL!!! my thoughts exactly!!! US drivers are pretty stupid as a whole. Need to have more frequent and stringent driving tests!!!
Old 06-04-13, 08:51 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

This. I used to live in a city that had numerous traffic circles and most people didn't know how to use them. Created more backlogged traffic than helped the flow. They eventually, over the course of 15 years, got rid of them and where they couldn't added traffic lights at each entry and exit points. Essentially making what should be a single light intersection to be a 2 lights one.
Old 06-04-13, 09:02 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I would love this rule to go into effect, but I know for a fact that it would turn every intersection into a free for all where people would pull out in front of others. When the cop would ask would happen, I'm sure said person would say "I didn't see the other car coming-I had been waiting here for 2 minutes and didn't see anyone."
Old 06-04-13, 09:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Look forward-look left-look right-look behind you.

No other cars around, no cops, AND no traffic cam..........use your discretion

Besides, how often does this come up?

We don't need politicians, flying in their jet, staying at exp. hotels, wasting more $$$ to propose another bill
Old 06-04-13, 09:25 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

I admit I run the red arrows a lot when it's a road with really good visibility
Old 06-04-13, 10:20 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I admit I run the red arrows a lot when it's a road with really good visibility
Calling Officer !!!!!!!!!

Anyways, People have enough Accidents without running a red light.

Imagine the Possibility of Accidents when people do run on a red light, good visibility or not, sometime you mind can deceive you !!
Old 06-04-13, 11:15 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While an extension of good driver judgement to permit valid red-light movement would be refreshing, most rules of the road are biased to the least common denominator - for good reason. The potential mayhem at intersections IMHO mitigates against a relaxation of the rule. I'd rather see development of "smarter" traffic lights and/or a more liberalized off-peak policy of flashing amber or simple mandatory 4-way stop.
Old 06-04-13, 11:42 AM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

No, that's a stupid solution to the problem. Fix the red lights, don't legalize running red lights....
Old 06-04-13, 12:08 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I understand the frustration on motorcycle riders but legalizing running a red light is NOT the solution. People WILL abuse it and more harm than good will come from it.

The correct course of action would be to update the sensors to account for lighter vehicles (motorcycles).
Old 06-04-13, 01:09 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
What would help to me is more round abouts and less lights. I know its not feasible at every interesection but it would keep traffic flowing at larger ones.

Maybe we need updated lights and sensors that turn them into 4 way stops (all red) when there isn't traffic.
THIS! I love roud-abouts. Efficient and effective ways of managing traffic flow. It would take time and there would be major growing pains for Americans to learn how to use them though. But I don't feel that it should ever be legal to run a red light no matter what because the conditions which signal all clear is left up to individual driver judgement... I don't feel confident in that. Also, too many would simply exploit the rule.
Old 06-04-13, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this... you know where i live. roundabouts are good but people need to know how to use them correctly. otherwise it's a timebomb for accidents, which is proven over and over again...

Originally Posted by Coconut
I understand the frustration on motorcycle riders but legalizing running a red light is NOT the solution. People WILL abuse it and more harm than good will come from it.

The correct course of action would be to update the sensors to account for lighter vehicles (motorcycles).
i agree, i simply don't like the idea of running redlights, even for motorcyclists. it should be all about how sensors can be made better. if cars today can "see" if there are cars at your blind spots, keeping you in the lane, monitoring what's ahead and warn you? these light sensors can be made better

Quick Reply: Should running a red light at an empty intersection be legalized?