Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Big Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 08:29 AM
boojae13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Big Question

I'm a new IS250owner, 2007. yesterday after I changed the oil the engine warning, triangle, VSC light and check engine light came on, the transmission then started to feel like it was slipping. Is any of this related and has anyone dealt with this before. Have had the car for a couple weeks and it ran perfectly,
Old 04-28-13, 11:03 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just from changing the oil?

Make sure everything is securely intact. Did you use the right viscosity? The right amount of oil?
Old 04-28-13, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by boojae13
I'm a new IS250owner, 2007. yesterday after I changed the oil the engine warning, triangle, VSC light and check engine light came on, the transmission then started to feel like it was slipping. Is any of this related and has anyone dealt with this before. Have had the car for a couple weeks and it ran perfectly,
What do you mean by "engine-warning" light? Oil pressure?

Although it won't explain transmission slips, it is normal with many vehicles, after an oil change, for the oil-pressure light to remain on for a few seconds more than usual before going out. That is because oil changes almost always include a new filter. Unlike the old oil-soaked filter, the new filter, upon installation, is dry inside. When you first start the engine after the oil-change, the oil-pump starts circulating the oil through the engine, but it takes a couple of extra seconds for the oil to saturate and pass through the new dry filter's paper elements to reach the pressure-sensors and turn off the red light.

Next time you do a change, besides the usual finger-lube of the filter's O-ring, take some of the oil out of one of the bottles and pour it into the filter's hole before it is screwed on...but only if the filter mounts downward at an angle (with the hole up) where the oil inside won't run out on the engine block while you're trying to mount it. This should help to pre-lube the filter and make the red oil-light go out a little sooner on the first start-up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-30-13, 11:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
I used to go to Jiffys and other such places. I don't do it anymore because it just doesn't make any sense financially.
Well, not only that, but the fact that, a few years ago, two Jiffy shops were busted for charging for work and not performing it. It's probably not indicative of the whole chain, but something to keep in mind.