Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW or Mercedes - 10K budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 11:08 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MnM24
Out of the BMWS, which one should I get?
try for E38 7-series, or E39 5-series, classic rides
Old 02-24-13, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Just have a budget to keep them running, you can find some great used 10k BMW or Mercedes.

Old 02-24-13, 12:11 PM
LexFather

01 530 is the best choice here.... good luck

Old 02-24-13, 12:17 PM
MnM24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
LMAO, you're complaining about a 99' RX300 and want go to an 01' BMW with no warranty. HAHAH, good luck! You will need it!
The RX has 215K miles and the work it needs done costs 5K, which I can sell the car for.

Obviously, its not worth the money and I'm sick of the car.
Old 02-24-13, 12:34 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we bought a 2006 750Li years ago. It handled great and was very luxurious. We got the most compliments with that car. However, it became very expensive to maintain once the warranty expired. Used BMW's are unreliable and costly to fix. Select your used BMW VERY cautiously. In fact, I wouldn'd recommend buying a used BMW without factory warranty.

Lexus is far more reliable. However, in my humble opinion, recent Lexus vehicles are so ugly and cheap-looking. So we replaced our problem-prone 750Li with a new Mercedes GL450. We dont plan to keep the MB beyond its factory warranty.

On a different note, we have a plea to Lexus: please bring back the elegant designs that made Lexus famous in the first place. We love the Lexus reliability, and miss the beautiful interiors of older Lexus. In our opinion, recent Lexus cars and SUVs look so hideous. They dont look sporty or classy; they just look plain and rediculous. Sorry if my comment offends anyone. Unfortunately, that is our opinion. We would love to buy another Lexus when/if a classy design comes along. We are waiting and remain optimistic.
Old 02-24-13, 01:02 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If you are set on a BMW, get a newer one. I almost got a 2002-03 5 series, but ended up with a gs instead. The mechanical stuff in that is solid, especially the 530, but its everything else that will drive you nuts. To be honest, its not just BMW, but just about any Luxury brand car that is 12 years old will probably drain your wallet. Unless you are dead set on that body style of car, get as new of a car as you can, and if you are struggling to do so, maybe a non premium brand car is a more reasonable choice. I hate to say it, but to many people are stepping into older Mercs, Beamers, Lexus, ect. and have no idea what they are getting into. Not everyone, just a lot of people.
Old 02-24-13, 01:13 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is what you do OP, just buy a GS for that money. Not trying to sound biased but it will be a lot less of a headache. Save yourself some money you'll be spending on maintenance.
Old 02-24-13, 01:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I have always been a fan of the 540 and 740 in terms of the design. I think they are some of the sexiest and most classic designs for a sedan ever made. Can't comment on anything else though as I've never owned or drive one.
Old 02-24-13, 02:24 PM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gray_es300
If you are set on a BMW, get a newer one. I almost got a 2002-03 5 series, but ended up with a gs instead. The mechanical stuff in that is solid, especially the 530, but its everything else that will drive you nuts. To be honest, its not just BMW, but just about any Luxury brand car that is 12 years old will probably drain your wallet. Unless you are dead set on that body style of car, get as new of a car as you can, and if you are struggling to do so, maybe a non premium brand car is a more reasonable choice. I hate to say it, but to many people are stepping into older Mercs, Beamers, Lexus, ect. and have no idea what they are getting into. Not everyone, just a lot of people.
IMHO, the depreciation on the newer models will far outpace average repairs costs on an older model. Also, repair costs can be mitigated somewhat by finding a good clean vehicle with a robust and documented service history.

Newer models are also more computerized and require dealer servicing to reset all the computers/codes.

I had a light come on that I ignored on my 2006 E90 sedan, steering wheel lock warning. I didn't think much of it, but when I researched it I found BMW put a sensor in the guts of the steering rack to tell the computer when your steering wheel was in a "locked" position. How this adds any value to the driver is beyond my comprehension. Anyhow, once that warning goes into failure mode, your car is disabled and must be towed. I live 100 miles from the nearest dealership. The only fix was to replace the entire steering rack @ $700.00.

Engineering and technology are great when the make practical sense. In this case, not so much....

Just one example, but if you get into an older model you won't run into this type of issue as the cars are far more DIY friendly.
Old 02-24-13, 05:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes but for the same money the op could buy a Toyota, Honda, ect. That would be just as DIY friendly, newer, less miles and in some cases under warranty still. I'm not against the BMW, it's just that many people (not all) get rocked by the costs of maintaining and fixing such cars.for example 2000-2003 s500s are going for nearly nothing, but service costs are still extremely high whether you go to the dealer or and indy mechanic
Old 02-24-13, 06:26 PM
rpenfuyf
Driver School Candidate

No issues till a lil after 100k and then it was one visit to the shop after another. Sold it quick!
Old 02-24-13, 07:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If that's your list then 540i get my vote.
Old 02-24-13, 08:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not a fan of those millennium MBZs
Old 02-24-13, 09:38 PM
XBimR
Driver

One other observation from an ex BMW owner, I used a very honest and good Indy mechanic for 15 years on three separate cars. They were a BMW only shop, and I would recommend them, and did, to many people. They were not the only BMW only shop.

When I was considering alternatives, I looked around for Lexus Indy shops. There aren't any! And this is in northern CA, where there are plenty of both makes on the road.

Pretty telling...
Old 02-24-13, 10:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Diemellz
try for E38 7-series, or E39 5-series, classic rides
E38 7 series or an E39 with a v8 is going to drain your wallet QUICK!!!!

If you want a BMW on the cheap, with reasonable maintenance costs, get a 3, 5, or Z3 with a six cylinder engine, no M models either. Also stay away from the weird E60 5 series or E65 7 series, anything you find in those body styles for $10,000 is going to be a turd and horrendously expensive to service.

Quick Reply: BMW or Mercedes - 10K budget