Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Japan Car Sales Ranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-13, 04:17 PM
LexFather

This list really shows Toyota's domination at home. Their market share is more than nissan and Honda combined!

Old 02-19-13, 05:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you guys looked at the entire list? There is a Ferrari F355 on there.............so this list is not for new car sales only. I am guessing is any car that are registered for the very 1st time. It is entirely possible for a F355 to sat around for that long before someone bought it and registered it.

The Lexus SC430 sure was not produced in 2012, so they are probably left over dealer stock from like 2010.

No Buick or Pontiac are made in 2012 also.
Old 02-19-13, 08:06 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing how different Japan's market is. Many bestsellers that aren't even available to us. And easily the best selling model, the Aqua (Prius C), is just a small niche seller here.
Old 02-19-13, 09:31 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus went up 3% from 2011 thanks to the new GS sales. What's amazing is that the CT sales of 11k went down almost 100% from 2011 when it sold 20k+.
Old 02-19-13, 09:40 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Did you guys looked at the entire list? There is a Ferrari F355 on there.............so this list is not for new car sales only. I am guessing is any car that are registered for the very 1st time. It is entirely possible for a F355 to sat around for that long before someone bought it and registered it.

The Lexus SC430 sure was not produced in 2012, so they are probably left over dealer stock from like 2010.

No Buick or Pontiac are made in 2012 also.
Buick is still around. Perhaps you meant Saturn or Hummer?
Old 02-20-13, 08:00 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that prius is making a killing
Old 02-20-13, 08:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Lexus went up 3% from 2011 thanks to the new GS sales. What's amazing is that the CT sales of 11k went down almost 100% from 2011 when it sold 20k+.
japanese luxury model sales are very much front loaded... they sell a lot for a year and then gradually drop off... then all over again.
Old 02-20-13, 08:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vellfire!!!

Old 02-20-13, 09:24 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Buick is still around. Perhaps you meant Saturn or Hummer?
You are right, sorry I must have thinking Oldsmobile or something. Hummer is still alive.
Old 02-20-13, 09:30 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Vellfire!!!
The interior is bomb, looks like a LS600hL with a lot more room!
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Japan Car Sales Ranking-vellfire-facelift-interior.jpg  
Old 02-20-13, 10:17 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

You are right, sorry I must have thinking Oldsmobile or something. Hummer is still alive.
Oh that's right Hummer and Saab are Chinese now. But yes Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn.. The former was a good decision because it conflicted too much with Buick, but just when the good got going, the latter two could have been something else. GM should have made Pontiac a performance division and not diluted it with bad CUVs and Minivans. They should have been making GTOs, G8s, Trans Ams etc.. all RWD, V8 etc. Saturn also could have been positioned better with more economic offerings and technology aimed at auotmakers like Kia for example
Old 02-20-13, 10:24 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The interior is bomb, looks like a LS600hL with a lot more room!
Now that is an example of premium travel on four wheels

Old 02-20-13, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Oh that's right Hummer and Saab are Chinese now. But yes Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn.. The former was a good decision because it conflicted too much with Buick, but just when the good got going, the latter two could have been something else. GM should have made Pontiac a performance division and not diluted it with bad CUVs and Minivans. They should have been making GTOs, G8s, Trans Ams etc.. all RWD, V8 etc. Saturn also could have been positioned better with more economic offerings and technology aimed at auotmakers like Kia for example
I don't want to get too far off-topic here, but the real question at GM, as I see it, is why they kept the whole GMC Truck-division. All it consists of is a bunch of rebadged Chevy trucks and SUVs, with minor trim/equipment differences at most. It is, IMO, an almost complete waste of a whole division.....and vastly increases costs for nothing.

Originally Posted by mordecai
The CT is now getting more competition as more hybrids hit the marketplace. And the same money (or less) that now buys a CT can also, in some cases, buy a larger, more comfortable hybrid....the new Ford Fusion Hybrid is an excellent example.
Old 02-20-13, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to get too far off-topic here, but the real question at GM, as I see it, is why they kept the whole GMC Truck-division. All it consists of is a bunch of rebadged Chevy trucks and SUVs, with minor trim/equipment differences at most. It is, IMO, an almost complete waste of a whole division.....and vastly increases costs for nothing.

The CT is now getting more competition as more hybrids hit the marketplace. And the same money (or less) that now buys a CT can also, in some cases, buy a larger, more comfortable hybrid....the new Ford Fusion Hybrid is an excellent example.
but it's like saying money for IS and you can get an Avalon. apple to orange.

CT is sportier, arguably more stylish (subjective) and it carries a luxury brand name / features / quality.

if anything, i say great move lexus did on the CT, it's ahead of the pack
Old 02-20-13, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything, i say great move lexus did on the CT, it's ahead of the pack
I admit, Henry, that I may (?) have somewhat misjudged the CT when it first came out and I reviewed it. I felt, at the time, that it would have been better-marketed as a Toyota than a Lexus. There is no doubt that it has well-succeeded, in the actual marketplace, as a Lexus product.

But that doesn't change my still-basic feeling that, despite its admitted-popularity, spiritually, it is not a true Lexus. It has, IMO, too much road noise, rides too stiffly, doesn't have a true leather standard interior (although the NuLuxe imitation, I'll admit, is quite good), too small a rear-wiper (only some 5-6" long), and, overall, simply lacks refinement. But, as you note, people are buying it up, even as a Lexus.

Quick Reply: 2012 Japan Car Sales Ranking