Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Considered Killing Infiniti

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 07:51 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The obvious reason (to me at least) that the Infiniti name was not chosen for the U.S.-market GT-R was the almost non-existent sales of the NSX when it was badged as an Acura instead of Honda. Nissan obviously didn't want to repeat that mistake....though that's not to say that GT-R sales, even with the Nissan badge, have been spectacular....they haven't, of course. The GT-R was also hurt by some early-production defects.
It was my understanding that there is still a long waiting list on even new GTRs and considerable dealer markup.
Old 01-29-13, 09:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
They also have an issue with the GT-R. The most expensive and technologically advanced car should come from Infiniit, not Nissan.
The obvious reason (to me at least) that the Infiniti name was not chosen for the U.S.-market GT-R was the almost non-existent sales of the NSX when it was badged as an Acura instead of Honda. Nissan obviously didn't want to repeat that mistake....though that's not to say that GT-R sales, even with the Nissan badge, have been spectacular....they haven't, of course. The GT-R was also hurt by some early-production defects.
The GT-R has a history that predates the Infiniti brand. Even though the GT-R has only recently been available legally in North America, it has a great reputation and stellar legacy as the Nissan (Skyline) GT-R that would be lost if it were suddenly and arbitrarily re-labelled as an Infiniti.

If Toyota came out with a new Supra, would you want it named as a Lexus Supra just because it had all the latest technological advances? I would bet that everyone on Club Lexus would be screaming to keep the original Toyota Supra name.
Old 01-29-13, 09:50 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sulu
The GT-R has a history that predates the Infiniti brand. Even though the GT-R has only recently been available legally in North America, it has a great reputation and stellar legacy as the Nissan (Skyline) GT-R that would be lost if it were suddenly and arbitrarily re-labelled as an Infiniti.

If Toyota came out with a new Supra, would you want it named as a Lexus Supra just because it had all the latest technological advances? I would bet that everyone on Club Lexus would be screaming to keep the original Toyota Supra name.
I am very well aware of the history. This is the same company that is throwing away G for Q. Also if Infiniti does make it to Japan, the revered Nissan Skyline becomes Infiniti Q50. Remember they split up the name Skyline and GT-R and their Skyline is our G or now Q.....

Considering how much they share and rebadge, not sure why they refuse to give Infiniti a proper halo/flagship based on the R35. To me it was a logical thing to do (Remember the R34 had a "M" model which was softer than the others) if they were serious about elevating the brand.

You can't really compare it to Toyota/Supra as Lexus is not struggling, Lexus has a halo and Lexus isn't renaming cars. If you do, imagine the LFA being called a Toyota.

Old 01-29-13, 10:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
It was my understanding that there is still a long waiting list on even new GTRs and considerable dealer markup.
But would there also be a waiting list if it was badged an an Infiniti instead of a Nissan? That, of course, is one of the issues we're discussing in the thread....and where opinions seem to differ.
Old 01-29-13, 11:06 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But would there also be a waiting list if it was badged an an Infiniti instead of a Nissan? That, of course, is one of the issues we're discussing in the thread....and where opinions seem to differ.
I don't see why there wouldn't be, the sales of the GTR have to do specifically with the sales of that car alone. Nissan's brand imaging doesn't really have anything to do with it as no one comes in and just decides they want one over a Maxima or something and I don't think it running under another brand would really change that unless there were similar performing cars under the same brand (like a TT 370Z for instance).

I've wanted one for a while now and I'm kind of dismayed seeing the price going up and up. I think they're close to a full $20k more expensive than they were just 4 years ago and its hard to justify buying a used one as the cars are not losing much value and there's not many used car warranties that will support it. :/
Old 01-29-13, 11:17 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aside from the G and M, as others have mentioned, the FX is also a great car. I would consider Infiniti above Acura by a landslide. I love my G35. And from sales volume alone, they have dominated that segment with the G coupe/sedan over Lexus. Finally, Lexus wanted to be more exciting.... the lack of exciting cars is what led me to buying my G in the first place
Old 01-29-13, 11:20 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Aside from the G and M, as others have mentioned, the FX is also a great car. I would consider Infiniti above Acura by a landslide. I love my G35. And from sales volume alone, they have dominated that segment with the G coupe/sedan over lexus

Due to big discounting and great lease rates to get those vehicles on the road.
Old 01-29-13, 11:28 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very well aware of the history. This is the same company that is throwing away G for Q. Also if Infiniti does make it to Japan, the revered Nissan Skyline becomes Infiniti Q50. Remember they split up the name Skyline and GT-R and their Skyline is our G or now Q.....

Considering how much they share and rebadge, not sure why they refuse to give Infiniti a proper halo/flagship based on the R35. To me it was a logical thing to do (Remember the R34 had a "M" model which was softer than the others) if they were serious about elevating the brand.

You can't really compare it to Toyota/Supra as Lexus is not struggling, Lexus has a halo and Lexus isn't renaming cars. If you do, imagine the LFA being called a Toyota.
I think (and hope) that Infiniti has no rebadged vehicles (this is what De Nysschen wants) from this time on starting with the Q50. If that's the case only Infiniti will sell the Q50 worldwide.

There's renewed talk of giving Infiniti a GTR-based car but with the current platform nearing the end of its life i don't think this will happen until the next generation GTR.
Old 01-29-13, 11:37 AM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Due to big discounting and great lease rates to get those vehicles on the road.
RX, ES, IS have great lease deals also
Old 01-29-13, 11:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Infinity leases are usually much cheaper.
Old 01-29-13, 12:36 PM
NERD42
Driver

I bought my 2010 FX50S in December of '09 it was the 7th one available. it now has 113K miles and not one problem. I looked at every competitors model out at the time and for the money no other manufacture came close to the bang for the buck. Even if Infiniti is going through some problems my FX is still my favorite SUV on the market. I only wish they had brought the Sebastian Vettel Edition over to the US market...
Old 01-29-13, 12:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Infiniti by far has the highest allocation of cars sold due to leases, the data shows it. It is common knowledge nothing leases as cheap as an Infiniit. Of course Lexus, BMW, others offer leases but not like they do. So bringing up anyone else is just a poor counter.

http://www.nada.com/b2b/LinkClick.as...Mw%3D&tabid=84

Last edited by LexFather; 01-29-13 at 12:47 PM.

Old 01-29-13, 02:09 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Infiniti by far has the highest allocation of cars sold due to leases, the data shows it. It is common knowledge nothing leases as cheap as an Infiniit. Of course Lexus, BMW, others offer leases but not like they do. So bringing up anyone else is just a poor counter.

http://www.nada.com/b2b/LinkClick.as...Mw%3D&tabid=84
It wasn't a counter or an attack like you always seem to think. Everyone I know with Lexus or Infiniti lease their cars. It's a statement I'm making. I could care less who has more incentives. I'll stick with my Benz and BMWs
Old 01-29-13, 03:39 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Infiniti was dead to me when they killed the Q45
I was really hoping they would come out with another Q.....err, the flagship, not the general line up name.

If they can use the Essence design, that should bring some excitement rather than just milking the G37 to death.