Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does This Make Sense???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 10:37 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it makes sense, to HIM. And it's all that matters....'cause it's his car, and his effort that is required to get in and out of his driveway.

To each his own....

Modding is all a matter of taste and opinion. We all prefer some mods over others, some prefer none (and keep their car bone stock).

I used to have a 300ZX Turbo with $12,000+ worth of competition stereo equipment. It was crystal clean, and would singe your ear drums, and it would almost change your heartbeat. You could feel me AND hear me coming from 2 city blocks away. AND I LOVED IT (and secretly miss it).

But I grew up, and it no longer made practical sense.

So glad I experienced it though, in my 20s, when I could fully appreciate. No, it made NO SENSE to most. But I didn't care, because it's what I wanted.

This guy could care less what you guys think, he's doing his thing.....right now. He'll likely grow out of this phase, but he's enjoying being slammed now. And I ain't gonna hate.

And like Trukn said, those Weds are badazz on that 240. Nice fitment.
Old 09-29-12, 01:33 PM
NKYSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a little extreme. That bumper wouldn't last long on even the normal roads over here.
Old 09-30-12, 11:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yes, it makes sense, to HIM. And it's all that matters....'cause it's his car, and his effort that is required to get in and out of his driveway.

To each his own....

Modding is all a matter of taste and opinion. We all prefer some mods over others, some prefer none (and keep their car bone stock).

I used to have a 300ZX Turbo with $12,000+ worth of competition stereo equipment. It was crystal clean, and would singe your ear drums, and it would almost change your heartbeat. You could feel me AND hear me coming from 2 city blocks away. AND I LOVED IT (and secretly miss it).

But I grew up, and it no longer made practical sense.

So glad I experienced it though, in my 20s, when I could fully appreciate. No, it made NO SENSE to most. But I didn't care, because it's what I wanted.

This guy could care less what you guys think, he's doing his thing.....right now. He'll likely grow out of this phase, but he's enjoying being slammed now. And I ain't gonna hate.

And like Trukn said, those Weds are badazz on that 240. Nice fitment.
See the big difference between your crazy stereo and that 240SX is you can just turn off the stereo and drive your car. You can't freaking drive that Nissan on the street, that's what makes it dumb.

And I know that you can't drive a purpose built drag/race car on the street, but damn it takes a lot of skill to drive a 1000+hp beast down the track, and even more skill to keep it running.
Old 10-01-12, 09:21 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Uh, he drives down the road just fine, as long as there's no humps or bumps.

You guys kill me, you all sound like such 'old fogeys'. For these 'how-low-can-you' guys, it's obviously not about drive-ability....it's about proudly scraping their oil pans in their quest for the lowest stance. It's a competition, amongst the underground stance enthusiasts.

And they all could not care less about what you so-called purists think. Thank goodness. Some cars are modded to NOT be all that functional, they're modded to become more "rolling art". I get it. And art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Hec, some people think ALL aftermarket rims are silly, especially anything more than 18" rims (adding unsprung weight at the corners). Some think that dropping your car from stock height is silly, because that's not how the original engineers designed it. Some think tinted windows is silly, making it harder to see at night. And you know what? Those people I mentioned, they think it's just straight dumb to mod your car in this way. And do we care?
Old 10-02-12, 10:52 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uh, he drives down the road just fine, as long as there's no humps or bumps.

You guys kill me, you all sound like such 'old fogeys'. For these 'how-low-can-you' guys, it's obviously not about drive-ability....it's about proudly scraping their oil pans in their quest for the lowest stance. It's a competition, amongst the underground stance enthusiasts.

And they all could not care less about what you so-called purists think. Thank goodness. Some cars are modded to NOT be all that functional, they're modded to become more "rolling art". I get it. And art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Hec, some people think ALL aftermarket rims are silly, especially anything more than 18" rims (adding unsprung weight at the corners). Some think that dropping your car from stock height is silly, because that's not how the original engineers designed it. Some think tinted windows is silly, making it harder to see at night. And you know what? Those people I mentioned, they think it's just straight dumb to mod your car in this way. And do we care?
I'm older than most people around here but I am definitely not an "old fogey".
I am also not a "purist" whatever that really is.
I believe in mods and I believe in individuality.
I do not believe in competing against others in some vain attempt to best them at something like this. Sports, yes. Success in life, yes. But not with how low I can go with a car causing me to get out to place running boards on the ground to clear dips. Not with fitting wheels improperly to the point I can't make a proper u-turn. Not to the point my fenders look crumpled and chewed...causing a need to bondo and paint them regularly. Not to the point of buying new tires every 2 or 3 months because of extreme camber.
I'll compete with anyone in a pick-up basketball game or tennis match. I'll compete for money. But if any of these are more trouble than they are worth, I won't compete for those either.

There is a way to do anything correctly. If the guy in the video wants to slam his car, it would be much better if he saved some cash and bought an air-ride suspension system. Problem solved. Got no problem with that.

It's not about choice of mods, it's about doing something correctly.
Old 10-02-12, 12:20 PM
votru
Lead Lap

My hat off to anybody that's dedicate and taking time to ensure his pride/joy being taken care of. Alway enjoy and learning how these super low car manuver the obstacle. It's an art form to me like abstract art.............some will pay million dollars for a painting while others may say what so special. I'm also tired of seeing stock car with mess up under carriage cause the owner run over bump stop or back out their driveway since they don't care like the guys in 240. Hope I'm making some sense with all the rambling .
Old 10-02-12, 03:27 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ice350
I'm older than most people around here but I am definitely not an "old fogey".
I am also not a "purist" whatever that really is.
I believe in mods and I believe in individuality.
I do not believe in competing against others in some vain attempt to best them at something like this.
That's you.

Many people compete at car shows, literally pouring tens of THOUSANDS of dollars into cars....just to say that there car was better than someone else's.

I don't. You don't. But others do.

It's their money and their blood, sweat and tears. If that's what they want to do, it's fine by me. And some of the results are breathtaking. Being an avid enthusiast, I respect the creativity and the effort, even if it's 'just a Camry' or a simple Scion.

Sports, yes. Success in life, yes.
Actually, the older I get, I find the idea of sports quite juvenile. A whole bunch of losers, one winner. Tons of heart ache, only a few happy in the end. I mean, who would design such a system?

But I digress. (BTW, I have loved sports since I was young, just looking at the larger picture of the ultimate effect sports has on a society, a community and an individual)

But not with how low I can go with a car causing me to get out to place running boards on the ground to clear dips. Not with fitting wheels improperly to the point I can't make a proper u-turn. Not to the point my fenders look crumpled and chewed...causing a need to bondo and paint them regularly. Not to the point of buying new tires every 2 or 3 months because of extreme camber.
I'll compete with anyone in a pick-up basketball game or tennis match. I'll compete for money. But if any of these are more trouble than they are worth, I won't compete for those either.
OK, that's you. Others do. And guess what? For them, it's worth all the trouble.

There is a way to do anything correctly. If the guy in the video wants to slam his car, it would be much better if he saved some cash and bought an air-ride suspension system. Problem solved. Got no problem with that.
I can't afford a Porsche, yet.

But I modded my GS in the meantime, as I save for my Porsche.

And I have no problem with you having a problem with that.

It's not about choice of mods, it's about doing something correctly.
Actually, this is about placing judgment on someone's mods simply because you can't relate, or don't/won't respect one's effort to acheive their goals.
Old 10-02-12, 06:06 PM
KillahKev
Driver School Candidate

Haha seen this video a bunch of times and yea it make sence but I think its alittle over board I can see being so low but not where it take you 10mins to get in your driveway! maybe he has another car as a daily but if not wow! yea its a hellaflushed, stanced thing etc but you need alittle form here !
Old 10-03-12, 02:54 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, this is about placing judgment on someone's mods simply because you can't relate, or don't/won't respect one's effort to acheive their goals.
I'm not judging anyone who des their thing. I never said the guy was mean, evil or bad. Never called him a menace to society or irresponsible. Don't know if he cheats on his taxes or his woman. I just don't understand going so low you need to place runnng boards in your driveway. Yes, to me it doesn't make sense nor is it cool. When I think of cool I think of chillin out. Not the added stress of something like this.
I'll say it again, dude needs air suspension.